FoC on PC to have Steamworks support

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jul 20, 2012.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    GameSpy: Exclusive: First Details on PC Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Page 1

Seems they're using Steam's own matchmaking/multiplayer/achievement services for the game, rather than their own like for WFC's port.

This is a very good thing.

No DX11 support, sadly. Though I'm not surprised there.

EDIT: Reading the article further.... they mention that the FoC Digital edition for PC is gonna be a US exclusive only. Not clear on what this means for buying it over Steam for non-Americans (as that's what I was going to do).

EDIT 2: High Moon responded to me on Twitter - FoC will indeed have a worldwide Steam release.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's good. I was disappointed that WFC doesn't have Steam achievements.

3. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Cool, I was probably already getting the PC version but this pretty much seals the deal!

4. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I'm admittedly concerned though about this notion of a digital exclusive to the US only.

Was planning on grabbing the game at midnight EST on Steam and starting in on it.

Here's hoping this includes Canada.

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

What do they mean by Digital only??
    Was planning to get the retail version cause I don't have the bandwidth for downloading the game.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    If that means what I think it means, I'll be getting the PC version!

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I hate Steam.

8. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Yeah...buyer beware. I hate this company! They do good work but they fuck over the PC gamers. Try to find some of the stuff they promised with the first WFC that they put out. After PC gamers didnt meet their "market quota" or whatever they called it...they gave no support, no aid against hackers and no game enhancements past some bonus experience. Im gonna come right out and say it. High Moon studios will take the PC gamers cash and use it to make their console versions better. Ever since they did it the first time around Ive hated this company. Game looks amazing, I appreciate the work and the story, but I do NOT appreciate the selling tactics of this bait and switch company. Just sayin.

9. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well you should have read up on the situation before you started "just sayin".
    Mercenary Technology is doing this port, and we're already getting more from them then we did with WFC, so this is a great start. If they can continue the work with any possibly dlc maps, bug fixes, patches, etc. then I will be very happy with them.

Again this is Mercenary not HMS doing the port. I think they deserve a chance at least.

cool story bro. take it you don't play on pc then so why even post here? :lol 

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  10. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

I too felt cheated with WFC's lack of features, but the reason it didn't come with more is because High Moon Studios said they didn't really know how to support everything on PC. That's why with FOC is being ported to PC by a company working for High Moon Studios.

11. juxtapose519

juxtapose519 Well-Known Member

It's a sad time when "customizable key bindings" is announced as a feature. It should be STANDARD, and any game that doesn't feature it should be shunned into oblivion.

That said I'm glad they're outsourcing the PC port to a more capable developer. I'm so tired of half-assed console ports. Steamworks is also good news. I've just stopped buying GFWL games altogether because I can't deal with all the nonsense. Yay Steam!

12. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have the game requirements for running this come out yet? I'd like to get the PC version, but I need to know if my rig can handle it.

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Of course I play on PC. But I will never ever install Steam. When I accidently buy a game that uses Steam, I install a cracked version without Steam.

14. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see the reason why. Sure steam is DRM, but typically the community features and auto updates are well worth any sort of minimal hassle. That and steam has an offline mode.

Anywho, it's great to finally see decent PC support. Not to mention higher res textures and other graphical dohickies. Steam support is. great which seems like they are doing things properly. Best version confirmed. They will have my money.

15. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

it better be a world wide release, WFC i had to get a friend from the states to gift it to me.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm guessing he meant the US version would only be digital.

Might I ask why?

17. Crazy Ninjaman

Crazy Ninjaman TF fan since 1993

Honestly the only problem i had with WFC was not being able to select my own server. I didn't like the mandatory matchmaker setup where you only get to pick which game type you want and then the game chooses a random server that has very high ping in most cases. All I want is a list of servers using a similar list pane as TF2 (Team Fortress 2) where you are able to sort servers by name, player count, ping, game type, etc... Then people will be able to host private servers, new players can get on servers with other new players, Clans can organize meet-ups and matches, and probably some other things I have forgotten to put here.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    There are many reasons.
    First I don't wont to install superficial Software just to run a game.
    I don't need a software that checks for updates for me or where I can buy stuff, I don't buy stuff that is digital only. Never ever.
    When our regional version is not uncut or is even banned, I can't play it, if it's a steam game, although I'm old enough to decide for myself.
    I don't want to be dependent on an online service, even if there is some "offline" mode. I just want to buy the game, install and play it. I don't want to activate it online first or anything.

For the other reasons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)#Criticism

And of course there is DRM.

All these things I do not support. My Duke Nukem Forever is still MISB, because I found out it's a Steam game. Usually I don't buy the games then, so I don't support Steam.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    EDITED - not getting into it.

I loves Steam, the infrastructure is awesome, it looks pretty in grid mode and the sales are pretty damn good :D 

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Actually DRM is only a problem for people who buy the original. People who used cracked versions don't have problems with DRM. They usually have more comfortable versions than users with copy protected games :lol 

This is really sad.

P.S.: I don't want to encourage piracy here.