FoC Music

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Oct 3, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I've tried to find a thread on this and kinda surprised there isn't one already.

You know the song that plays during this.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron World Premiere Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Angel angel what have I done? That face the quakes the wind the fire. Conquered country crown and throne. Why can't I cross this river? Angel what of the battles you've won. Take a lot more than rage and muscle. Open your heart and have my son. We'll never make it over the river. Take a lot more than words and guns. A whole lot more than riches and muscle. (Something that's really hard to hear over the sound FX as Bruticus combines.) And together we'll cross the river. And together we'll cross the river.

It's a nice song but is it just me or does it not really fit in with Transformers? I feel like this is something that should be playing for a western not for Sci-Fi. Does anyone else feel like this song is totally out of place?

Oh as a final note, I probably got some lyrics wrong because of sound FX playing over them. I just typed what made the most sense for what I could hear. With Bruticus that entire sentence was blocked out by sound FX so it's not like I just need to make up a single word in a sentence, I couldn't hear any of it.

2. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

nope

3. Autoboticon

Autoboticon I Know...I'm Awesome.

Doesn't fit!!!!!...the song suits the emotional side of the cybertronian war, also it absolutly goes with the fatal wounded bumblebee and all does who have lost their spark, it also speaks about that no matter how many victories or how much closer you are to winning, you just get more lost in the river of war, unless say the sides can come together and make peace, calmimg the river once and for all.

"hands of many come together to form one" fits so well with bruticus

Don't like my opinion fine, just don't get me started on "cities in dust"

4. SaberPrime

Oh I agree that emotionally it fits but I was talking about genre. I think it has more of a western feel that doesn't fit with Transformers. If this was a game like Battlefield which is based more in reality instead of giant alien robots then it'd fit in a lot better.

5. Autoboticon

Still it fits the whole gun slinger thing that most transformers have going on, also in g1 and prime the main setting is western desert

6. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Fail.

Angel, angel, what have I done?
    I've faced the quakes, the wind, the fire
    I've conquered country, crown and throne
    Why can't I cross this river?

Pay no mind to the battles you've won
    It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
    Open your heart and hands, my son
    Or you'll never make it over the river

It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle
    The hands of many must join as one
    And together we'll cross the river
    Together we'll cross the river
    Together we'll cross,

And how would you get western out of this? To me it really suits the war, and it sounds like it's based on Optimus' point of view.

7. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have a problem with it. The only thing 'western' sounding is the organic nature of the folk sounding guitar melody. But the lyrics are on point.

And it does't fit Transformers until it does... :D 
    Reminds of certain old-school anime where a galactic/epic, super violent space war was being waged while some quaint lil love song or an emotional piano melody plays in the background. (ie: Macross or Yamato)
    Not my preference, but i don't mind it being switched up, we got the 80's Touch remix tribute in the end credits. We got the awesome instrumental on the load screen & a very decent score throughout the campaign so i can't really complain.
    It's an interesting addition to the legacy of transformers soundtracks.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was never really a fan of rock, well, songs really, being used for much of anything, as songs have a way of dating things--how will many feel about this this video in five years from now?

Instrumentals, original works, always work better and they usually don't lock things into a certain time period, IMHO.

That said, I've gotten used to the songs used for FOC, so I don't hate them. I think the second trailer works much better with the song it has.

Why couldn't HMS use BGM similar to the ones used for the Launch Trailer or Competitive Multiplayer trailer with soundbites sound effects?

Transformers Fall of Cybertron Launch Trailer HD - YouTube

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Multiplayer Trailer - YouTube

9. SaberPrime

Well I did say I guessed at a lot of the lyrics because the sound FX of the transformers kinda over shadow the singing voice.

This...

But I also think the lyrics are more suited towards a human war. I'll go more into that after this next quote.

Lets go over the lyrics.

"Angel, angel, what have I done?"

Here's the first issue I have, sense when do Transformers even have angels? Gods yeah but just because Transformers have a concept of a God doesn't mean they automatically have angels heaven or hell. Though I suppose the Matrix could be like heaven sense that's apparently where sparks go when a Transformer dies.

"I've faced the quakes, the wind, the fire"

That line works, I like that, moving on.

"I've conquered country, crown and throne"

Now here's where it doesn't fit again. I've conquered country could be Megatron's point of view but country? Try and entire freaking planet. That doesn't fit at all.

"Why can't I cross this river?"

This is where I think Western. I don't know that just sounds like a lyric for a country song. Plus it doesn't fit what's going on. Where in the video do you see a river? I think it's suppose to be a metaphor but I still have a problem with it because it's too organic a metaphor for giant alien robots.

"Pay no mind to the battles you've won
    It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle"

And now we have two lines of lyrics that fit perfectly. No problems here, I like this, moving on.

"Open your heart and hands, my son
    Or you'll never make it over the river"

Now we have the most glaring point of this song that doesn't fit. They're giant alien robots, they don't have hearts. If that was spark instead of heart it would fit a lot better. Plus there's that river again.

"It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    The hands of many must join as one"

OK no problem here, moving on.

"And together we'll cross the river
    Together we'll cross,
    Together we'll cross the river"

And more reference to that river.

So the main issue I have with this song is that it sounds too organic and unfitting to giant alien robots. It's very fitting to the war I'll agree with that much but that's about it. I just feel like the song would work better for a human war than giant alien robots.

I like all the other songs for FoC just this one I don't think fits. I just don't like the organic nature of the song with a Transformers game. I like the song just not for this.

Anyway here's my made up lyrics with a more Transformers feel to them.

Primus, Primus, what have I done?
    I've faced the quakes, the wind, the fire
    I've conquered Cybertron, crown and throne
    Why can't I end this war?

Pay no mind to the battles you've won
    It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
    Open your spark and hands, my son
    Or you'll never make it threw the war

It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    The hands of many must join as one
    And together we'll end the war
    Together we'll end the war
    Together we'll end,
    Together we'll end the war

I don't know what to do about the melody though. I can't really explain it, it just sounds "organic". I don't know maybe if you played the same song on an electric guitar it would sound better for Transformers. I would love it if someone actually did that.

10. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    You realize the song is NOT original, right?

The song is called "The Humbling River".
    It's NOT canon with Transformers, it's just there to set the tone of the devastating war.

11. LocoPayas0

LocoPayas0 El Payaso

Ebay:
    Why does every line have to make sense with the game? I think people are reading too much into it and that it's more of a metaphor on how despite the great strides the Autobots have made, they can't save their dying planet.

12. Autoboticon

I think you really just over thinking this, just enjoy it, it is better then the songs in the live action ones

13. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

The song fits because of its tone, and because it plays on Prime and Megatron's point of view.
    "I've conquered country, crown, and throne. Why can't I cross this river?" This is from Megatron's point of view.

"Takes a lot more than rage and muscle". This is Prime telling Megatron that it takes more than brawn and anger to prevail.

"Takes a lot more than words and guns". This is Megatron telling Prime that it takes more than words and guns to win.

"The hands of the many must join as one, and together we'll cross the river". This is Prime saying that the Autobots and Decepticons must stop this war, and make peace with each other and work together as one.

"Open your heart and hands my son, or you'll never make it over the river". Again, this is Optimus telling Megatron that he will get nowhere unless he works with the Autobots, instead of against them.

14. SaberPrime

I like the songs in the live action movies.

To both answer a question someone else posted and this quote at the same time...

A big part of why I don't think it fits is because it's not an original song. Transformers have used songs before like that, The Touch, Dare to be Stupid, ect. but they worked with their tone. This song is just too organic to actually work for me. Would of been better if they used an original song or at least something with the same emotional feel but without the country western feel.

15. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This.

First of all, how dare you? The music in the movies is amazing.
    Second, you can't even compare Humbling River with the score for the movies, because Humbling River is a slow rock song with lyrics and the movie score is original work specifically for the movies performed by an orchestra with no lyrics.

16. SaberPrime

It just occurred to me, I think he may be talking about music from the movie's sound track rather than the orchestra music that played during the actual films. I haven't really heard a lot of that so can't really voice an opinion on it. Though I know there is a remix of the original theme song from G1 that was made around the same time as the first movie.