Flying TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Other than the G1 cartoon, I can't think of any other version of TF that has them flying without a plane alt. mode or being aided by a jet pack. Am I correct, or am I missing something?

2. Kadrin

Kadrin Well-Known Member

During Cybertron and Energon they 'fly' into Space Bridges even in car mode.

So it does happen even without an obvious propulsion method, but normally its reserved for actual fliers and power ups eg Wing Saber and Prime.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The unaided flight does seem to be a G1 only thing. Like mass shifting it's just a silly concept for this IP.

4. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was most common in G1, but there are a couple other instances. Animated Skockwave and Soundwave could fly, even though they both turned into ground vehicles. And though it might fall under "jetpack", BW Optimus Primal had booster jets in his pre-Transmetal robot mode.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The Beast Wars flyers don't have plane modes persay, but they still fly.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Animated followed the G1 comic where TF's only flew if there was a reason for them to fly (flight capable alt mode, jet boots, etc.), and if they lacked those, they didn't fly. Starscream could fly in both modes, as he had jet boots in robot mode, but G2 Megatron could only fly in robot mode due to his jet boots, for example.

Personally, I like it that way.

7. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I remember seeing ground vehicles fly through space and thinking wtf?

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Even those without flying alternate forms like Optimus Primal or Inferno, though in that case they always have a visible means of propulsion. (Ironic that those who turned into flying animals were the ones who flew without visible propulsion, save Waspinator and Terrorsaur on one occasion, while the other ground-based animals who flew always had jets and the like, even when Transmetal)

As said, Animated Soundwave and Shockwave both flew, as did Megatron who turned into a helicopter, not a jet, but used jets in robot mode.

The Fallen in ROTF might have been able to fly, but it seems he just jumps when he teleports and uses his momentum to "fly" through the air before teleporting again. Does this a few times until he gets where he wants to be.

That's because Energon (really Superlink) stupidly set most of the show in space, and made everyone perfectly capable of flying, which meant Transforming was a totally useless effort. Even when Transforming would have helped, like driving soemwhere to save time or move out of the way of danger, they usually ran.