Flying in G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kaiwera05, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Does anyone else notice that once the Autobots land on earth in G1, they all have the ability to fly? Eventually they get grounded or just never fly again, but still, this becomes an issue later in the series (season 2) when they craft the Aerialbots. Is there something that I missed as to why they stop flying, or what happened? The creators just stopped having them flying and thinking we'd all forget?

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I think it was originally done to make the Decepticons have an advantage over the Autobots for them to overcome. There wasn't a canon reason for it really, just a story change once the show got past the pilot episodes.

This was also brought up later when the said Aerialbots were created, to give the Autobots a chance in the skies, and also it was brought up the reason for the Stunticons to be created was to have the advantage of being on the ground.

3. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Being a follower of the Marvel 80's comic, that stated that the Autobots could not fly unassisted ( Sideswipes jet pack) in robot form.

I think the cartoon started out by giving them the ability to fly but then quickly taking the ability away. The cartoon is full of contridictions.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

They never really took the ability away.

If you watch the entire series, you'll notices the Autobots were able to fly from time to time.

Its more of a story devise then anything else.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yup.

6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    IMO none of them should have been able to fly in robot mode unless their alt mode allowed for it. It takes away from having a vehicle alt mode.

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I always just looked at it as being that the Decepticons were better at flying since there was so many jets: Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Thrust, Dirge, and Ramjet. The autobots had flight capabilities, but most of the autobots were cars.

8. thespaniard

thespaniard Well-Known Member

i always thought it was to do with cybertonium. On the episode when they're running low in their bodies neither side can fly and they get more from cybertron. The decepticons controled cybertron at that time and had easy access to it. the autobots had to smuggle some from the space bridge. i know there are holes in this idea but it makes sence to me if you're looking for a possible canon reason

9. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Well, if it was a cybertonium shortage, the episode of that would have happened almost immediately after the pilot episodes. I personally think that the creators just dropped the idea and hoped we forgot.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

G1-It makes sense if you don't think about it.

11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I noticed that too. I've always thought of it as the Decepticons being better in the sky in both modes ( faster more agile) than the Autobots. That's why many Autobots has shoulder mounted ground to air missle launchers.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's cartoon logic. One day Megatron went "Fools! Everyone knows Autobots cannot fly!"

... and they believed him. :) 

P.S. Powerglide never bought it, and the Dinobots were too dumb to understand the concept.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Someone brought up the point that flying vehicles use way more fuel than ground vehicles, and since the Decepticons have no problem stealing resources from other species, they're more likely to use the gas-guzzling flying forms. This could extend to flying in robot mode--the Autobots don't equip themselves with flight abilities in order to save fuel, whereas the Decepticons fly whenever the hell they want to.

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Wasn't it in one episode that the autobots flew to an oil rig and when it went all kaboom the autobots could not fly anymore to get themselves out of the danger :lol :

15. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Well we had Tracks that could fly in season 2 and The Autobots apparently had Jet Packs in their Headquarters

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I think Tracks only flew in car-mode cause he had those wings that popped out. I don't remember seeing him fly in robot mode.

17. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Well it was better than nothing...lol