Fluffy Potato photos: Roadbot Lancer, Mucialgo, MR2

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cheebs, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Gots me some Roadbots. More to come later, but for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Great Alt modes, but man, the Robot mode's a mess

EDIT: Oh yeah, excellent pictures, so clear!

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Agreed.

Love your pictures, though!

4. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Those pics are very, very well taken.

In car mode, all three look fantastic! The Lambo has the only bot mode I seem to like. Nice head and chest. He doesn't seem to have much leg articulation, though.

Is it me, or does the Lancer have a bent mirror and roof antenna? QC issues?

I can't wait to get my shipment of these.

5. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Well... Soft plastic. Can lose it's shape under heat/pressure and all. Can't remember if they arrived that way or if my duffle bag did that...

Overall QC on these guys is fine. Especially when you consider they're much bigger than Alternators, have lights and electronics, are licensed, are 100% original engineering designs, and they cost less than Alternators.

Overall quality is not up to Has/Tak standards, but QC in general is way better than I was expecting. These things are legit.

The really cool thing about these guys it that they're major "parts-formers" (in general the roof and the thin strip of the car's side running under the doors comes off) and each and every weapon part can store in car mode, and each and every car part can store in 'bot mode. It's really cool.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love Lancer-bot. *goes off to order*

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That one's easily my favorite from my order.

BTW my order included these three guys, the teeny-tiny Ford F1, the unbelievabley-giant Ford F1, and the Hummer.

So...yeah. Outa' all of those, the Lancer comes out on top.

8. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

My wallet's making faces at you :p 

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Beautiful shots man

10. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    If that thing ever reaches Swedish shores I'm so gonna pick it up to do a Evangelion homage kitbash (the knife just screams out progressive knife)

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    supah-cleah!

lambo...so...beautiful...

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    They look cool, I should receive all those plus the Hummer this week (already have the blue Celica and the silver SUV).

13. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Duh, I received them today (MR-2, Hummer & Lambo).

Hummer has a pretty cool transformation and is the best of the 3. Sounds are annoyingly cool. The hammer of doom rocks!

Lambo looks awesome in car mode, robot is quite decent too, transformation is a bit easier. Pretty nice piece and solid.

MR-2 is flimsy in bot mode, it cannot hold its weapon, arm joints are too loose. You can see it's a first generation Roadbot like the Land Cruiser. Transformation is okay, car mode is pretty tight. Sound gimmick is pretty fun. Still the weakest Roadbot released so far.

The cool part about Roadbots are the solutions they come up with for transformation. Like the front seats that rotate under the floor for the robot mode pn the Hummer or how they tuck their arms in car mode much more efficiently than Alternators. Alternators are still superior in quality and articulation, but the Roadbots is a more than adequate alternative, offering size, sounds, lights, good looking cars and crazy weapons for less money than Alternators.

14. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Got mine in today as well. Got the Lambo and the 1:12 GT.

Damn the GT is HUGE. I don't know where I'm gonne display this guy lol.

Great car mode, great bot mode, ingenious weapons...

Now to open up the lambo... ^_^

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow... it looks like EVERYBODY got their orders today. : ) I got my Hummer, Diablo, Toyota Landcruiser, and the little Ford GT.

However, am I the lone voice of disappointment?

I have to say, I am really taken aback by how much these things are "parts-formers". I mean, sure... the car modes are really sharp,with great cabin detail all around, but I can't believe how many bits have to be pulled off the vehicle and stuck back on the robot mode. I mean, considering how much parts-forming is involved, you would have thought that would free up the design of these figures a lot, and yet the Hummer is still completely elongated through the body with his tiny little legs, and the Diablo is still a broad, flat awkward figure with short calves and low articulation. I saw that the robot modes weren't perfect in the pics, but I was willing to accept that based on the expectation that they transformed fully, rather than by popping off half the autobody.

The Diablo isn't too bad... the rear bumber zone, the running boards and the rear canopy become his enormous gun and shield. But the Hummer has major issues with all his "floating kibble". Ouch.

The old Landcruiser is almost totally integral except for his sword/spare tire, and his rear hatch which becomes a shield. Other than that, he's very solid, and poses the best out of the bunch. Of course, he is also the one with no internal detailing.

Weirdly, by far the worst parts-former of the bunch is the little Ford GT... even though he has no internal detail or anything. You pretty much have to strip the car bare to transform him, then stick everything back on... which is so sad considering how cool he looks. It's also worth noting that his giant axe, light-up system and handgun are not integral to the car mode either. They have to sit on the side.

It's kind of odd, because I see all sorts of obvious spots where a minor change would have made for a much more poseable figure, with fewer compromises necessary. I'm just surprised.

On the plus side, I have to admit that there are nice details all around and the QC is really pretty good on these figures. But I'm gonna have to do some modding before I'm satisfied with them. Fortunately, it looks like they'll mod fairly easily.

zmog

16. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    That's why I won't bother with the smaller figures... I don't really mind them being half partsformers as long as all the parts are being used in both modes...

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Again, these things are bigger than Alts, have more features than the Alts, and yet cost less than the Alts. Something's gotta' give you know. They simplified things with parts-forming and just left it at that without putting the saved money back into improving the transformation because...well...when you're selling them that cheap there is no more money to put back into the transformation.

Still, Happywell scores HUGE points in my book taking the effort to make sure all parts fit in both modes. Especially hiding those huge-ass weapons all over the car.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Just noticed that it's a Lamborghini Murcielago, not a Diablo. Oops.

Though that brings up another observation... the 1:18 scale is a bit approximate. The Lambro is as long as the Hummer, and I know that ain't right. :) 

But seriously, I'm trying to rate these things on the basis of what they are, rather than comparing them to Alternators. Size is not such a big deal... in fact, if they were smaller, I think more people would like them better. Features? A light/sound box we'd see on a dollar store toy? Sorry, it's cool, but that's not that much of a draw.

As for concealing all their "weapons" in the car mode... what? You mean that pile of car parts that are pegged on to the light-box to make something that almost sort of looks like it might be a weapon... but could just be a giant VCR with some chrome and translucent plastic stuck to it? I'm not sure if you get points for "integrating" the weapons into the car mode, when the weapons are just clusters of leftover car parts that aren't accounted for in the transformation. :) 

Price? Yeah, they're about $5 less than an Alt. Wowee.

While I give props to Happywell for making new molds, and generally doing a real nice job on these figures, I still have to say that I expected a little more in the way of engineering. Parts-forming is somehow just not as nice as transforming, y'know?

To be a parts-former AND a fat-ass kibble-bound walking barn door? That's kind of a deal-killer for me...

(I'm lookin' at YOU, Lamborghini Mucielago!) ;) 

zmog

19. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is the Mitsubishi a partsformer?

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Partsformers are a big no-no in my book.