Floppy figures, why no inventive 3P offered a universal fix?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dxp, Apr 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM.

1. TCJJ

TCJJ 111% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ahaha, fair enough then. Funny you mention that though because I was replaying WFC tonight and dammit, now I need to collect Planet X stuff. I wanted it for a while but now I'm going to end up caving. Oh well. Looks like their joints are actually quite tight, judging by reviews, so floppiness shouldn't be a problem. ;) 

2. dxp

dxp Well-Known Member

I knew it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I disagree. If a 3P came out with something like this and marketed themselves as bringing the new technology to transforming toys, they could use this as a gimmick to launch themselves to the top. Of course, they would have to make a decent figure to go along with this.

Once one company does it, the others would have to come up with similar solutions to keep from being left behind.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CigarJackal

Instagram:
    It isn't generally quality control, but design and/ or manufacturing that tends to be the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3rd party future req.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

You can make a friction joint with adjustable tightness by using a simple screw, a spring and a rubber pad...

7. Rewind

Rewind Team Scissorpunch

News Credits:
    I’d like to see a product that goes on like floor wax but actually STAYS on and holds up to long term posing. As someone that handles their figures a lot I was pretty bummed to discover that it eventually just wears off into a powdery ick and needs to be reapplied. It also doesn’t work especially well with waxy POM plastic.

I don’t even bother with Future anymore. If I get a loose ball joint I’ll just stretch a bit of plastic wrap around the ball joint or put a bit of tissue paper in the joint.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

That's why I don't like Future or anything similar...

• Like Like x 1
  9. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

It's a necessary evil I find. I do nowadays prefer superglue since I have discovered that, but for most of my bots that have been futured up I cannot make the switch; I mean, my Warbot Defender is a life long future junkie. And if you are not careful with the dosage, you'll end up finding future on other places of your figure (I've often wondered how the future got there).

10. CigarJackal

Instagram:
    For sliding parts, I have found that a very small application of Elmer's (white) glue works well to build up material to add friction. It is clear, and non-damaging to plastic and paint.

11. dmarsee

dmarsee Well-Known Member

You're assuming two things:
    1: That other collectors care about the same things you do.
    2: That this action would be so popular that it *would* "launch" them to the "top."

Look, you may be 100% right. I certainly would be glad if my figures all had individually-modifiable joints.
    But I remain skeptical. For all the reasons I’ve given.

12. CigarJackal

Instagram:
    What car company would ever spend the money to put intermittent windshield wipers on a vehicle when old controls worked just fine?
    Who would ever pay money for a selfie-stick, when you can just hold your phone with your hand? In fact, why would anyone even bother putting a camera on a phone?

There are a lot of improvements to items that would have seemed trivial or even dumb, but now they are the standard.

A company that brings forward a new hook, can often carve out a niche in the marketplace.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dmarsee

You’re proposing the equivalent of putting a selfie stick in every camera.

I’m saying: adding selfie sticks adds to a product’s price, and makes the product bigger. And less than 100% of users want their cameras to be more expensive and be bigger.

14. CigarJackal

Instagram:
    I am proposing that putting cameras in every phone was initially thought of as a frivolous idea. Try buying one without a camera nowadays (it isn't easy).

15. CigarJackal

Instagram:
    Maybe the fact that I am an inventor who has had multiple pieces of IP comercialized makes me look at this from a different perspective.

20180416_143826.jpg
    My office wall (names and patent numbers obscured for privacy).

• Like Like x 2
  16. robh

robh Decepticon

Ebay:
    You invented the jackalope? Nice! :p 

• Like Like x 3
  17. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

I feel you man...

18. dmarsee

So, you're saying that nearly 100% of toy-buyers are excited about the added cost and complexity of user-adjustable individual-joint-tightness controls?
    Well, maybe, man. I don't know (and frankly, neither do you).
    It might be as universally-wanted as a camera.
    BUT.
    You need to be ready to admit to yourself that it might be as niche as a built-in selfie stick.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Congratulations, man. That's great.

It makes total sense that you would believe that adding a new invention to a thing would be something that everyone would love to have added to their plastic robot toys. After all, it's your job to make new inventions. When you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Here's my advice: Instead of debating me (because you've clearly made up your mind about the obvious universality of your idea), take your vision to a toy company that would make your vision a reality. Let the market decide if people really want what you're selling. There are many people here that have connections that could help you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CigarJackal

Instagram:
    Please stop putting your words into my mouth. What I am saying is that new innovations give companies a competitive edge. Not everyone will want said feature. However, a new feature can carve out a niche in a market, and can often lead to either dominating a market or forcing one's competition to do something new to stay relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dmarsee

Okay, let me see if I can unpack this. I'm sorry if you think this is "putting [my] words into [your] mouth." I'll quote you, just to be careful.
    If I am somehow misunderstanding you, please clarify.

Here, you say that "something like this" (which is user-adjustable joints) will (effectively) launch the toy-maker to the top, and other companies will have to copy or be "left behind."
    That's pretty strong language, implying that you feel a feature like this would be so popular as to become the de-facto standard.

Here, you say not everyone will want the feature (user-adjustable joints). And yet, somehow in your story, having this feature (which you still ignore the fact that it will add complexity and cost to figures) will somehow make the figures *so* desirable that other brands will have to compete.

So, even though not everyone wants a feature, and having the feature makes a product more complex and expensive, user-adjustable joints necessarily will become de-facto features will still become so expected that it will be a requirement for products or they'll likely be unsuccessful on the market.

Do I have your claim right?

------------

Again, I'm not saying I don't want user-adjustable joints (or any new feature necessarily).
    And I'm not saying that this story of innovation hasn't happened a thousand times before across a thousand different product categories.

All I'm saying are two things.
    1. That I doubt having expensive, complex universal user-adjustable joint-tightening-devices is so important to a large-enough portion of this market that it will become a standard for MP-style transforming robot toys.
    2. That I'm happy to be proven wrong -- but through evidence instead of your hunch.