Customs: Flickering LEDs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JazzEd, Sep 18, 2009.

1. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

This one goes out to all the LED wizards.

Wanted to make a Zombie Prime and needed some help,

I wanted to put a LED in this head that had a flickering effect for the eyes.

What do I need to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can find those flickering flameless candles, you can do almost anything you want with them... There are two very different types I've found: one with a 3mm LED integrated onto a circuit board which incorporates switch & battery, and the other type, which I love, contains nothing more than a 5mm LED, switch, and battery. On this second type, the flickering circuitry is internal to the LED!

They have pros and cons: on the one with the small LED and circuit board, you can swap the LED for any color you prefer instead of the amber. But have to figure a way to integrate the board into the custom somewhere. At least you can extend the wires to the LED and put the flicker anywhere you can.

The internal circuit 5mm LED only comes in amber, so I've found so far. The biggest plus is that this type is found at the Dollar Store in a two pack! Its awesome because it includes two of the flickering LEDs, two switches, and two 3V lithium CR2032 batteries. For a buck.

Just don't daisy chain any flickering LED with a steady-burn; they'll all flicker. But that's pretty cool too.

The first pic shows the two different kinds (Dollar Tree 5mm LED on right); second pic shows Dollar Tree package of two.

Attached Files:

3. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

Wow, thanks Bern. Some great info you got here. Now, off to my local Dollar Tree store.