Flees and cats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackout32, May 16, 2012.

1. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have been dealing with this issue in my house of Flee's in my house and on my cats. I don't know HOW to get rid of them. I have tryed some kind of cheap spray that my mother bought that you spray on the floor and that stuff is seriously toxic. If you breath it, which I did about a month ago I had to get fresh air ASAP and plus it really didn't work so I thew it away. I am asking for help from ANYONE that could give me some insite in HOW to kill flees and rid them from my cats. My cats are inside cats but when people come in my house they bring them from their house which I don't have many people that come over. I have 1 friend that I think comes to my house and his pets are indoor/outdoor and thats where I think it came from but not totally sure. So is their anything out their you folks get to kills flees and keep your pets from scratching and rid flees from your house completely. I really don't know what to do and am completely out of answere on how to fix this. I could really use some help from anyone cause I am willing to try anything that isn't toxic and will kills flees on my cats and my floors. I live in a apt so a bug bomb wouldn't work so thats out of the question.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    youre gonna have to get a prescrition med from the vet for the flea problem. Also, if it has been raining alot, that might cause more fleas to come indoors. Pest control services should have a pesticide that will not harm the cats. We have cats and treated the house through a company that used pesticide that was not harmful to them

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Frontline or advantix will kill the fleas on the cat and the surrounding areas. It will take a few weeks but it works.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I use Frontline on my cat.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Frontline?

That's sounds like sports deodorant that guys are encouraged to spray down their pants before a big game.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Frontline Spot-On for my cat. And my dog. Been years now since we've had any flea problems.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Frontline for the cat(s) and then get flea bombs to kill the fleas int he house.

a note on the bombs, get yourself and pets outside of the house for a few hours, or over night and cover up anything that the flea bomb spray might damage.

if you want to try some less extreme than a flea bomb there are products you can sprinkle on your carpets and furniture to kill the fleas then vacuum it off.

8. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As everyone else said, get bug bombs, the ones that also kill off the juvenile, and egg of the fleas. First give your cats a bath in the shampoo that kills the fleas, and really scrub it into their fur. Also Frontline, or something just like it . I've had fleas in the house twice, once thanks to a new cat we brought home, the second was thanks to a new groomer I went to for my dog, each time was about 10 years apart.

9. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    You might wanna look into using an equal mix of baking soda and table salt in your carpet instead of the poisonous stuff. Leave it down a day, vacuum it up. You can also fill a pan with water and a little Dawn dish soap and leave it overnight on the floor under a night light/low to the floor lamp. Fleas will be attracted to the heat/light and fall in the pan and drown. You should keep Frontline on your pets too.

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Did you Google 'non-toxic flea control'? And remember to spell it 'flea'? Because 'flee' is 'to run away' and that's what you want the fleas to do. :lol  There are a LOT of websites about various home remedies for fleas. What is your mother willing to do? You may be kind of stuck if she's not willing to do anything beyond the cheapest spray possible, or let you do things like bug bombs.

Myself I use Advantage or Revolution (depending on if she needs worming or ear mite control, too, but it's only available from a vet)on my cat, and Adams Carpet Spray in the house. Much as I'd like to do diatomaceous earth in the house regularly, the stuff is kind of expensive. May try the baking soda and salt, tho.

--WS

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Keep your cats indoors for a few weeks. Litterbox smell vs flea powder wars.

12. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

I second that.

13. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Thanks for the spelling and yeah I know messed up cause I was stupid and was staying up to long and I know mispelled it now that you pointed that out. Typing while tired is not good but when you get woke up from scratching and licking etc it gets old from fleas. My mother had talked about getting my carpet cleaned and that would kill the fleas even though the carpet doesn't need it, she thought that would be a good idea to kills them. I know that earth stuff isn't cheap so that won't be a option. For the frontline I looked online and its MORE then what I could afford for 3 cats cause that would be talking like a couple hundred dollars for at least 8months or so for 3 cats. I might try the baking soda and salt and see if that works. ANYONE have ANYTHING else please chime in and let me know. I am now thrilled with bug bombs and I can't leave and take my cats anywhere so thats really not a option either.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't use Frontline, but I use something else that's highly recommended (the name escapes me at the moment). It's one of those monthly applicator kits. You apply it at the base of the head...a spot that the cats won't be able to lick at. It starts killing the fleas relatively quickly and it affects all life stages. I'll edit this post when I recall the name of it.

I know it's pricey, but I would take the cat(s) to get bathed and groomed. A lot of places don't do flea baths for cats, but they will give them a medicated bath. You mainly want to get whatever eggs and flea "dirt" happens to be on them. This will also give you time to bomb the place without having to worry about the chemicals affecting the cats. You'll have to leave the place for 2-3 hours. When you return, you then air out the area for another 2-3 hours. I would use a spray can of flea killer (Raid works best) and apply it to some of the spots the fogger didn't reach. I'd also vacuum and wash bed sheets. I'd even suggest changing out of your clothes.

15. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sorry when I first read the title I was like did your cat flee as in run away and flee or are you having a flea problem as in the parasite. flea and flee, two very different things.
    Sorry, it's just the title confused me

I've used frontline and it worked wonders