Flea Bombs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    How badly do they effect Transformers and Reprolabels? My family had an infestation in the basement and we had to nuke the place-shortly after I realized my collection MAY be in Jeopardy. So does anyone know the effects, or am I treading on new territory?

For the record, 12 cats and 2 dogs. One of which is named Ravage :thumb 

2. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Depends are the sealed\contained in any sort of container or loose out in the open???

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Nooooooooo!

That stuff eats plastic! Get it out of there or seal it up!

When I was younger, I left a CD out during a bug bombing and the face of it was so pitted it couldn't even be repaired by one of those Disc Doctor things.

No joke! Your plastic is in peril!

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Some were in a cabinet that I wouldnt call sealed, some were out in the open, a few were under things.

5. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    In that case,
    You. Are. Fucked

6. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, it depends on what you use. I've been going through a severe German roach infestation due to the nasty bastard who lived in the apartment behind me. Once he moved out, his infestation moved to my apartment and started taking over our kitchen and bathrooms. It got to the point where a professional pest control person had to come in and completely fog the entire apartment.

My figures are primarily displayed on book shelves, so I just taped trash bags onto the front of each book case for protection. I also put a few of the figures that sit on top of the book shelves IN trash bags.

When I got home, the place reeked of pesticide, but there was no damage done to any of my figures...or anything in my home (aside from a TON of dead roaches all over my kitchen floor). Had a bunch of cardboard boxes full of TF's in my closet and even they survived the fog.

So it's really not THAT hard to protect the figures from the pesticide. It may be a little inconvenient and take up about 10 minutes of your time, but it's worth it. And to be clear, this happened not even a week ago. We're still seeing a few roaches here and there (I actually JUST found a dead one in my display at MP Grimlock's feet!). The pest control guy is coming to my apartment again tomorrow and there's a good chance he'll fog it up again.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    well i just checked everyone-they're all fine! we did it yesterday and the day before, so if there WAS an issue, it would be prevalent by now, right? yet they're all fine.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    That poster made my day. Something productive came of this thread, Torque.

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    lol, I love that one, glad you like ti. its not often you get the perfect chance to use it, but when the moment is right...

So what would you guys say-after getting bombed twice, every figure seems to be perfectly fine. obviously I need to dust them all off, but still... if there was a problem, it would have shown up by now, right? Right? RIGHT?!?!

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could have avoided the bomb with simple monthly medications for all your pets...along with daily vacuuming.

Unless you have flea infested critters living underneath your house, there is absolutely no reason for bombs.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    they were living in the rug in the basement. and biting me and my brother when we werent looking. Bombing WAS a last resort, given that they wouldnt die. And it wasnt really my decision, my mom bombed the place

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, sorry to hear that, but yeah, they hatch in the carpet. Their life cycle is only about 21-28 days, therefore, frequent vacuuming to remove eggs and monthly medications for your pets to kill the fleas and they would have been gone in 3 weeks to a month....just sayin.

Now you know....and knowing is half the battle :D 

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    they would be. but when we walk into the basement where my brother and i sleep, they would come by swarm. a month of that would be murder. and they were in our clothes too, the laundry room being down there.

14. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the reality is that you can bomb all you want. If your pets have the fleas that are laying the eggs, they will only come back. The point is, make sure your cats and dogs are treated or they will just come back.

15. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    pets are upstairs, fleas are downstairs. We got it covered, the fleas are gonna be gone soon enough. I'm presently more concerned with my transformers melting than a few more flea bites on my legs.

16. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with Doc. When my wife and I first purchased our dog, she was covered in fleas (got her from the country). We cleaned her with Dawn and tried to get all the fleas off, but apparently it didn't work because the little bastards were soon all over our apartment. We immediately put her on flea medication and bought a Roomba to vacuum the carpets on a daily schedule. Within a week, the problem was gone. I'm happy as hell too, because I was VERY close to bombing the place.

The good thing about fleas (well...sorta good) is that they'd rather bite pets than you. So they'll flock to the dogs and cats long before they get you. Humans just don't have enough hair on our bodies for them to feel comfortable and hidden. Once you get the pets on flea meds, the dogs and cats will literally turn into bug traps. Once the bug bites the dogs/cats, they'll die. And since they're naturally drawn to the animals, the problem will eventually resolve itself.

17. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    While I appreciate the advice about killing the fleas, primary concern is still the TFs. So do you think im in the clear given no visible damage despite 2 bombings, or should I be worried?

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    When i last had to do this , i bagged up 95% of my collection, leaving out only some Minicons and legend I had bought for very little and wasn't too attached to , and they came through just fine. no damage of any kind.

19. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

You should be safe to a point that is. Some types of plastic used is porous, the pesticides can permeate into the figures and last for a LONG time. I would recommend that you gently wash contaminated figures in a solution of Dawn and luke warm water to get the majority of the chemicals off. Furthermore do NOT stick any of the figures in your mouth... I know they taste good but PLEASE resist. Any persistent chemicals could in theory be transfered into your body through saliva and could cause chronic poisoning depending upon the chemicals used.

20. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You should be ok if you aren't seeing anything wrong. Check the clear parts for pitting and cloudiness. The reaction would happen upon contact, most likely.