Customs: Flat Clear Coat Fusion Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RyakinX, Dec 12, 2007.

1. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to work with Fusion for my first time, and well I need it to be a flat black not a glossy black. Before I put paint to plastics, I was wondering if anybody had had any success with putting a flat clearcoat over top of Fusion paint to get a flat black for example. Figure I'd ask the guys with a hell of allot more experience with it than me, especially considering I have mainly worked with acrylics in the recent past. I used Enamel when I was a kid.

I searched the Forum but didn't have any success with finding any instances of a flat clearcoat over Fusion discussion, so sorry if this is a repeat.

I have a million other questions about Fusion, but this is the most important as the flat color will make or break the figure.

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That's a good question, I'm new at this as well so dont be alone. Anyways I do some advice if you call it that and its this just go with it you know it your custom you make it the way you wanted. this process is a trial and error in a way just go what feels right and if you need help, well you got it here on this boards. So if that helps ya in anyway then cool.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what affect putting a dull-coat (flat clear) would have on Fusion, but I do know that Krylon makes a flat black that you could use instead of glossy black. Yeah, it's not made specifically for plastic like their Fusion paint is, but with a coating of primer before the black, it should work perfectly. I hope that helps.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    simple answer:

rustoleum plastic paint flat black.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    have you seen my old Alpha Trion repaint? That was fusion with a flat coat.

6. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

Just Checked it out. Yep thats just about what I'm looking for.

1 Question, What brand flat clearcoat did you use, and was it acrylic or enamel?

Thanks for your help Redline, and the Alpha Trion looks awesome by the way. The first few picture scared me a little, they were glossy, till I saw the later ones and realized they were pre-clear coat pictures.

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The venom custom I did was like that came out real nice. Fusion+Clear FTW!!!

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It was Testors enamel, actually. I've used acrylic as well, so either way will work.