Flash Ongoing discussion of speedy goodness...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lumpy, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    picked this up, got my free Flash ring and have been running around the house telling my wife i'm the Flash... don't think she's amused... but i am :thumb 

i dug this issues, sets up some fun little things with Barry readjusting... he's been in "witness protection" for the past while... he's got a new boss who's a dick, Iris is awesome, and someone killed
    Mirror Master
    ... at least that's what it seems, but its not either
    Sam Scudder or Evan McCulloch

Barry does some investigating to this blinding light that dropped the body where it landed, and ends up finding some Rogues... sorta...
    they're from the 25th century!!! and have badges that look very cop like, and are here to arrest Barry for MURDER... wtf...

very excited to see where this goes from here...

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    That ending was very strange and of course interesting. Looks like they are the law where they come from? I hope we really do get to see some more or less mundane crimes solved by ol' Barry, too. Seems interesting. Love the art, too.

Got my Flash ring, too! Guy working the register gave me a GL ring, too, so I can be all "Brave & Bold." Heh.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Zoom and Cobalt Blue or GTFO.

Kidding, glad to hear McCulloch is okay, though. What can I say? His turn in Animal Man endeared him to me.

I'm just waiting to see what happens between Professor Zoom and Zoom in Iron Heights.

- Coeloptera

4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm wondering what Flashpoint is? I'm hoping it's not a megacrossover event....

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not liking the art too much, but I'll get used to it. Story's great though, & what a cliffhanger.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    As apathetic as I've been to the return of Barry Allen, I have to say this was a really good issue. Johns is really doing a lot to make Barry a fun and engaging character, something I feel he's failed to do with Hal Jordan. The plot twist at the end is delightfully Silver Age-y and should make for a fun read.

As much as I liked the writing, though, my favorite part was Francis Manapul's art. I really liked his short run on Legion of Super-Heroes, but here he's just fantastic.

My only complaint about this book is that the planned Wally West back-up was scrapped.

7. lifedragon99

lifedragon99 Well-Known Member

Damn promo items. I bought this for the ring and know i am going to add it to my pull list for the month because it was an good read.

8. Flint

Flint Master of Useless Info

I'm interested to see what happens. At first I was skeptic of the return of Barry Allen, but I'm warming up to his return. I think this new book has alot of potential

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, when that page happened, and i saw the glowing body looking, i was like "oh what villain is showing up to be bad" then the next page his dead body was on the ground and i freaked out!!! but its good it wasn't him...

10. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I did the same and am seriously thinking about sticking around for #2. Not a super-big Flash fan (and what I am, it's moreso of Wally), but I enjoyed this issue, even if it was heavy on "setup" and less so on action.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I got a free Flash ring! The guy in line in front of me at the comic shop didn't want his, so I said "I'll take it" :D .

:lolol  did you tell her "I'm the fastest man alive"

and then did she respond "No wonder you can't get a date" ?

I just love that dialogue from JLA. :lol  Minute man Flash!

12. Lumpy

News Credits:
    NICE! free rings rock...

and i didn't tell her i'm the fastest man alive, but i took a picture of my ring, and posted it on facebook, and a few friends had a good time poking fun at me there... commenting i'm already "too quick" she thought that was funny... guess i set myself up for that one a bit...

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol  Nice.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Well, only one thing you can do to fix that...get some energy drinks and prove her wrong :p 

15. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I hadn't intended to pick up this series, but I browsed through the Flash Rebirth collected volume today and really enjoyed it. So I may well give this monthly series a try after all. I know my local comic shop still has issues 1 and 2 on the shelf. I wonder if it's too late to get the free ring with the purchase of #1? :D 

Problem is, I don't want to add another title to my monthly purchases. Maybe Brightest Day will have to go, and I'll wait for trades on that one.

16. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Well I bought Flash #1 and #2 on Wednesday. I should have asked about the Flash ring.

Anyway, this was a case where skimming through the book made me think it was fairly dull, but actually reading it produced the opposite reaction. The art is just about perfect for a character that's always in motion, and Barry seems like the type of old-fashioned, morally determined character that I enjoy reading about. His super-speed tricks of casually plucking bullets from the air and disassembling the car on the way down were fun. I'm not sure I buy the building reassembly though.

I like the relationship with Iris, and the constant communication via Blackberry. Barry's life at work in the crime lab has me just as interested as his activities as the Flash, which is a good thing.

Not that I needed one more monthly book, but I'm in for now.

17. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    The Flash #3
    The tie-in to Brightest Day is justified as Captain Boomerang, recently resurrected in the final issue of Blackest Night, is apparently still affected by being a Black Lantern just as the other revived characters are. He's got exploding zombie boomerangs now, or something along those lines. That's just so goofy it's too much fun not to like. He uses the ability to break out of prison and go hunt for the Flash.

Barry Allen takes up a cold case, trying to find out if a convicted young man should have been convicted or not. The 'rogue' policemen from the future arrive to make a second attempt to arrest him, and succeed in neutralizing him this time. His attitude towards the whole situation is what makes the scene, as he just kind of ignores them for a few moments and calmly asks Iris to start looking into the case. And of course, he tries to reason with the rogues, who have come to arrest him for a crime he hasn't actually committed yet. They're having none of it.

This is becoming yet another of my favorite books. And I love the art.

18. Boo

Ebay:
    Yeah, this and Green Lantern are my favourite books. Green Lantern Corps doesn't seem as good anymore, but maybe I'm just not used to the new writer. Not sure I'll stck with Power Girl now that Palmiotti, Grey, and Conner are gone... yeah.

Anyway, I am really liking Barry Allen's character. Never really got into the Wally West incarnation of the Flash, though I have enjoyed the few storylines with him that I have read. The art is spectacular, too, totally fits.

19. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I love the art. The funny thing is, when I first browsed through the initial issue I didn't like the look of it, and the story seemed unengaging. But it's grown on me rather quickly to the point that I really like this book.

When I started reading comics around '89, Wally was the Flash, so in a sense I'm a Wally loyalist because he was the current holder of the mantle when I discovered the character. But he's just been shuffled aside for a little while, and hasn't been destroyed as a character (like Hal Jordan was when they put Kyle in the spotlight back in the mid-90s), so it's not a big deal. He'll still be around, and I'm finding that I like Barry's character more anyway now that I'm getting a sense of who he's meant to be. And frankly, it's quite novel to have Barry Allen back after 23 years, or whatever... that's surely a record for someone staying dead in comics. :) 

20. Boo

Ebay:
    Nah, I may be wrong, but I think Bucky over at the Big M was dead for much longer... well, I guess considering his retconned backstory, maybe not so much... Uncle Ben is still gone, though, right? :p