Fixxing Floppy Plastic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Renidragon, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Okay. I highly doubt this is possible, but if it is, someone here knows how to do it.

I just got a second-hand RiD Stormjet today. Great fig, very cool, makes me want more BM vehicons (since he's a recolored Jetstorm). However, he's got one issue that really shouldn't bug me... but it kinda does.

[​IMG]

The soft plastic parts are yellowed, but, I don't mind that much. I'd just like to know if there's a way to kinda get those ears symmetrical.

Though I AM curious as to how he'd look if I removed them, and transformed his tailfin like Cyb./GF Starscream... Hm, maybe I need to photoshop that.

He also has loose springs... his cockpit seems to be intended to pop forward with the trigger in jet mode, but it doesn't, I have to pull it out. His missiles are kinda weak, too. Anything I can do about that aside from replacing them? Actually, weak missile launchers are okay... means I'm less likely to lose the missiles. ;) 

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I believe that putting clear nail polish on the ball joints tightens them up.

3. Renidragon

Um, I didn't ask about the ball joints. :)  They're a little loose, but still hold well. The floppiness is the soft plastic to make the bunny ears.

4. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You may want to try heating the plastic somehow (with a hair dryer, for example). Just be careful not to get burnt yourself.

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Serves me right for not reading the whole post. ^_^;;

6. Renidragon

Ah, you should do that. I tend to get points across in VERY roundabout ways sometimes. ;) 

Hm, I considered that. Might try it, if I can isolate the plastic enough. Thanks. :) 

7. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I have absolutely ZERO experience in any sort of toy fixing, but the heating uo idea sounds like it shold work. Heat it up, move it into position, then cool it down. That sounds like it might work.

NOTE: I take no responsibility whatsoever if this (literally and metaphorically) blows up in your face :D 

8. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've heard submersing the plastic in hot water will heat it enough to allow you to straighten out the peice that you need to. I remember reading it in another thread (the marvel legends one I think - something about straightening out wolverine's claws)

9. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

mug root beer is good

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Spam isn't.

Regarding the floppy plastic, a slightly slower fix that works for sure is to bend it back into position and hold it there. It will fix itself in a day or so.

11. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

it is in the back ground. i like to point out stuf nobody notices. it's what i do that and be random this is bolth.

12. Felmatron

Felmatron Shock and Awe

Floppy plastic is tough if not impossible to fix. In this particular instance, I'd suggest getting some boiling water in a tea kettle and carefully (don't burn yourself with either the water or the steam) pour it over the warped piece until it's really soft. I usually do this over the kitchen sink with the cold water running. When the plastic is soft, reposition it the way you like, and while carefully holding it in place, run it under the cold water until the plastic is completely cold and firm. It helps, IMO, to finish it off with 20-30 minutes in the freezer. Unfortunately, the soft plastic will sometimes re-warp over time. Sometimes, you may need to repeat this technique more than once.