"Fixing" your TF:Movie toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lord Of Tetris, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread like this, and if it exists, please delete this. But I bought movie toys today, and already I can see that if you have a question on how to "fix" your toy, it'll be quite lost in the feedback threads for each individual toy. I suppose here's where you ask your questions about quality control or whether you were supposed to twist that hinge or detach that widget.

Please don't misunderstand, I enjoy talking about the pros and cons of toys as much as anyone else, and I love reading mini-reviews in the Feedback threads. But if you asked a question on how to fix your toy, or if someone answered you, it's rather difficult sifting through all the reviews and finding that one helpful post that would've fixed your Blackout.

My first question is: For Leader Prime, the back half of his truck/AKA the rear thighs stick together SO TIGHTLY in truck mode. When I transform it from truck to robot mode, I can see the damn plastic bending. I'm giving serious thought to sanding the peg so that the fit isn't as tight. I never thought I'd be complaining about joints being too tight, and I was hoping someone could chime in.

My other question: I think I broke my Blackout. In helicopter mode, his damn head keeps popping up maybe 1/2 inch. I can't force it back down. Strangely enough, I thought I had a solution to this problem, which I'm cutting and pasting below:

When I wrote that, I seem to know what I was doing, but it doesn't help. Can anyone help me get my Blackout fixed?

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    /e digs up his own post from the Blackout feedback thread.

Forcing his chest down while he's in bot mode may make you think you've fixed him, but chances are when you do this you'll only get one of his two gears back on track, giving him a really sticky automorph that's liable just to slip into misalignment. Removing the two cockpit screws and manually adjusting him is the only reliable way to fix him if you get his chest out of kilter.

3. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I've gone through three jazz's and on EVERY ONE the back right tire was alot looser than the others. also, all those tiny little pegd hinges he has in the shoulders and arms, on each one a peg wasnt aligned in its second hole right, and i had to struggle to get it right. on my first jazz, the peg missed its target and was punched through the side of the socket.

this is on top of sorting through 20 or so just to find one with a perfect paintjob.

QC on tf's is so terrible, and half of the time you cant see the problems because they are well hidden by the transformation

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

Finally got Leader Prime today. The back half sticks together fine, haven't had any problems getting it apart. The only thing I made note of on the back was to separate the halves before trying to disengage them from the top part/arms.

I did have one nitpick about the figure, though. The left foot doesn't like to stay open. The bumper that you move to automorph the toes is supposed to lock in place to keep the toes open, but on that one foot it's always popping out every time I pick him up (he's fine if he's standing because the weight of the figure keeps the bumper in place). I thought someone else mentioned this in a thread, but I can't find it at the moment.

The problem with QC probably comes from their complexity mixed with the manufacturing process. The original one-offs and test shots work fine because more care is taken in the manufacturing. When it goes to full production, the assembly line starts spitting them out by the thousands, and the plastic doesn't always come out the same on every last one. The more complex the character, the more apparent these errors become. And these new TFs are pretty complex... I've never seen the like of Leader Prime before, the transformation is incredible.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think its growing pains for the line, as its been said that takara encountered difficulty engineering things. I have no doubt that haskara will have a smoother time making the toys for the next 2 movies. Undoubtedly the experience designing these has taught them very valuable lessons.

Thanks for making this thread, its good to see a central hub where we can all discuss what to watch out for!

The 2 pegs on Starscreams black torso brackets do not like to plug into the holes on his wings(all this is done on the back of his robot mode). With the peg from the nose plugging into his back, it is stable, but the 2 pegs on the brackets could add a bit to the stability. As it is, he is very stable and there is no collapsing inadvertently. I assume this might be like this on many of the starscream's out there. Shaving the peg a bit might help though I wonder if its just the wings not being pushed down further enough.

6. rfsii

rfsii OCD/BiPoD/ADHD

I've seen some posts about my problem, but nothing that seems to describe in too much detail how to fix it. My problem is with Jazz' Automorph feature. I can't get his chest thing to come out and work properly. His head comes up most of the way, but that's it. I've tried pushing that black tab on his back in, but it doesn't budge. I try to push his back section in, but his chest comes apart from his hips every time. I've tried gripping it in different places, but it just doesn't work. Is it broken? Is there a way to fix it? I don't know. I'm watching The Colbert Report, and it's hard to concentrate on this post that I started during the commercial.

In summation - help me fix Jazz, he is my favorite.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This will probably get more attention over in the Toyark. I'll move it now for you.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

1) Real Gear Power Up - I can't get his head to pop up all the way.
    2) Bumblebee - Is there a way to get his chest logo to lock into position. Mine keeps slipping down behind the chest.

9. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    For power up, take off the head in robot mode, and use a plier and pull the neck piece up while in bot mode will fix that problem.

I have a new problem though, got my brawl today, not really understanding his automorph feature, I moved the right tread without bending the figure, and when I tried to realign the gears, I noticed that it wasn't working, so after taking it apart I realized that the gears inside of brawl are made out of clear plastic, which are fragile, and one of the gear have indeed split in half. :( 

10. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Ironhide's Back kibble and shoulders -

For those taking issue with "floating" shoulders that spring loosely on their Ironhide, the shoulders can be secured so that they'll stay fairly solidly in the movie accurate "V" formation (though it doesn't peg or anything). It all relies on your getting the right backpack setup and using the front door hinges to press the doors inward.

The "backpack" should be oriented so that the roof is pointing straight upward, with its top hinge at a 90 degree angle from it. The rear window assembly should be folded under it and pushed up between the body and the front windshield; If aligned correctly it will "snap" into place snugly and line up flush with the windshield. Pulling back on the top of the roof and pressing in on the bottom will help solidify the fit.

Once you have this setup, you'll notice that his smokestacks are right by his bumper, you can actually press them inward slightly and pull his bumper up a few degrees, which will lock the stacks into it, giving him a 100% solid backpack assembly.

While this will give you not only a solid backpack connection, it also gives a solid base for his side chest window assemblies to press against and hold them in place. Once his backpack is locked in and his chest in the loose V orientation, grasp his swinging chestpiece in your thumb and the back of his head in your index finger and press them together firmly, this will push the shoulders into roughly the correct shoulder position. While still pressing the chest in, push his side doors in with your other hand so that they press against the backpack/rear window assembly.

When you release your grip, the shoulders should be based solidly against the front chest and rear backpack, making them nice and solid. They'll obviously come loose if you try to pick him up by the shoulders or chest or something (The only really good place to grip Ironhide is by his waist, thanks to all those leg panels and the loose chest pieces), but they'll hold and wont bounce around, plus the bent windows give his chest a smoother look, like he has a bit more vision room.

I wish I could find my blasted camera. Pictures speak volumes over words.

11. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I too have this problem. It annoyed me enough to not bother getting Japan's clear window version.

12. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

I have a feeling that many "fixes" might be borne from a rethinking of the instructions. Reverting to G1esque pictures might be appropriate (that isn't a pining for G1 days, rather a practical observation). The two-color schematic of a "perfect" transformation helps nobody. Reverse instructions might be appropriate as well for those who didn't take note of how things came apart in the first place (the orientation of Ironhide's pelvis in truck mode is a stellar example).

13. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

^ Reverse instructions! I've been thinking that myself ever since I got back into TFs. Do they really save that much by not printing the reverse transformation on the back of the instruction sheet??? I think those would help, a lot, especially for all those folks who are going to be buying these after seeing the movie and aren't "experienced."

I mean, really, think how many kids will be handing their robots to their parents because they can't change them back. And the parent will be lost because there are no reverse instructions.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Couldn't agree more. The instructions as they are just do not help at all, and not having the reverse makes some transformations a pain (Ironhide sticks out in my mind, getting the hips aligned and such is a problem)

15. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

Reverse instructions would have been nice and this thread was a great idea. Now I know what to do with Ironhide's kibble, thanks.

16. Morku

Morku Decepticon Loyalist

Damn i broke My Blackout at the one little tab that holds the whole arm part together any help anypne?

17. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone have a good fix for Brawls obvious arm problems?

18. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Here is what I did for Brawl...

I drilled a hole on both the arm part and the body part where it pegs into and use a shortened paperclip to connect them.

Now in alt mode there are 2 pieces of metal sticking out on the side of the main turret, but I can live with that because now the arms are solid.

19. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    the best way to realign blackouts head it to unscrew the side of the cockpit. remove the panel and slide the head off the peg, reallign it with the gears correctly and screw it back together. takes not even a minute

20. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
    Thank you ^_^ Blackout fixed!