Customs: Fixing Yellowed Plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Just another option to fixing yellowed plastic.

I tried just straight up bleach on a junker jetfire I got a while back. The results were pretty good, but I had a problem with keeping up with the bleach because it readily turns back into water. So I can't recommend a time frame other than to pour some bleach in a bottle with your parts and seal it up, then check on it every once in a while.

I haven't used bleche-white yet, but I from other posts I read, I think the bleche-white would work better. I should pick some up and try it on the other wing to see a comparison.

Here are my results. Both wings had the same amount of yellowing. One was bleached, the other wasn't.

If you look at the picture of the back of the wing, you can see little white dots. I'm not sure what caused this, but they were not there before.

I have not seen any degreadation of the plastic, except that it has lost its shine. This could probably be fixed by buffing the plastic or a clear coat of poly.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

Bleach is nice, but the H202 method is the best I've tried.

3. Boggs6ft7

Maybe that is what I will do with the other wing, do one half bleche white and the other haff peroxide.

4. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

5. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't recomend Bleach for whiting plastic, overtime it makes the plastic britle.

Other methods I have tried and worked with varing results are a bath in goo gone xtreme, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (Also good on White Sneekers) Greased Lightning WD-40.

Oil Eater Degreaser Cleaner

Just recently tried this on a piece of old yellowed White plastic spray on let set wipe off with a dry towel.

Cleaned off almost all of the yellow and got into a old stress crack and cleaned the dirt out of it as well.

6. Boggs6ft7

Mine has been sitting in bleach off and on literally months at a time because I would forget about it. Granted, the bleach is turning back into water, but there was no degradation to the plastic.

7. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    the Hydrogen Peroxyde method works damn well and doesnt hurt the plastic or paint at all but ti does kill chrome

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Don't waste your time with Bleach or cleaning products. Particularly the latter since yellowing has nothing to do with cleanliness.

10%-35% Hydrogen Peroxide, which you will likely have to special order, has been shown to restore colored and white plastic without damaging the plastic nor paint. IIRC, significant improvements occur in about a day, depending on the H202 concentration.

News of this working broke here a little while ago: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/197984-yellowing-problems-might-help.html

9. Boggs6ft7

That is the same link butuman posted.

I'm trying bleche-white right now to see how it works on the other wing.