Fixing up a computer, need some help.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by CripNite, Feb 22, 2009.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Hey folks, I'm fixing up my old computer to give to my mom, but I'm getting quite frustrating trying to fix the problems that were the reason I bought a new computer.

Here's what happened. The computer had Windows ME on it, which I hated, and upgraded to Windows XP Pro. A worm hit it hard, so I had to downgrade back to ME. A couple years later, I upgraded to Windows XP Home, and while in the process, it somehow partitioned my hard drive into two. The C: was there as it was before, but it created a very small F:, which only had system files on it, and barely any space in addition to it. The bad part of all this was that the F: was the default drive, and any time you installed anything, it went to F:. A lot of programs give you the option of choosing where to install to, which isn't such a big deal, but many don't, and that's the problem. Also, as I'm giving this to my mother, I need it to by as simple as possible, so I'd like to either increase the F: so it's big enough not to be an issue, or to set the C: as the default. I can't find anything in the settings to correct this.

Any ideas?

Also, are there any free virus checkers out there? I'd like to be able to set her up with something halfways decent that's not going to make her pay to keep it up to date.

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ugh. I had a HP with ME on it and i wish i had just stuck to an AMIGA till XP.

I think the easiest thing to do would be just to get a new hard drive- should be inexpensive and simple- which is what i am paying for when i buy computer parts.

As for viruses- go with Firefox/Thunderbird for email and your internet browser, and use Spybot. Spybot is free, and all you have to do with it is like once a week, allow it to update its virus list.
    others may have better suggestions.

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Or keep the exsisting hard drive and format it in the windows setup process and then load XP. Just make sure you have all the drivers you need.

4. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Format is your best bet, you'll be able to unpartition the drive. Make sure it's NTFS and not FAT32.

Do a Fresh install of XP afterwards.

5. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i agree, don't throw the hard drive away, it's a perfectly good drive, just reformat when you go to install windows. and dont' install ME, just go with a straight up XP install

6. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    ME=Many Errors. ME is the worst version of windows ever made, even worse than Vista. Format NTFS, install XP and you should be golden.

7. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

amen to that brother!

8. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Dude I worked IT for an ISP in Minneapolis when ME launched. THAT WAS UGLY!

9. CripNite

Thanks, I did figure out that doing that gave me the option of deleting the partitiion and formating the computer for a fresh start. It's very barebones, but it's working.

Now I have an issue with getting it online... no matter what I do, it says that the network cable is unplugged. It's not, I've even tried the cord out on my other computer to see if it's buggered, and it works fine on that computer. I've tried every slot in my router and they all work with the other computer, but not with the one I'm fixing up. Is there an easy fix to get this thing to recognize it's on a network? I've gone through the "setup wizard" a few times and no changes.

10. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    are you sure you installed the right network adapter?

11. CripNite

Hmmm... I installed XP Service Pack 3 (downloaded on good comp and transferred to the other via USB drive) and after rebooting it, plugged the lan cable back in and voila... internet works perfect now.

It's funny how I was so unsure I could fix this computer up a few days ago and how everything is actually falling into place relatively easily.