Fixing split tires?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Valkysas, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Every single tire on my THS 02 Convoy cab/robot is splitting. They're literally being held together by a thread of rubber. Is there any way to repair the tires? Any special kind of glue?

I don't want guesses, I'm hoping someone actually has experience. This is too expensive of a figure to screw up taking chances.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd like to know as well.

The tires on my RID Prime have split. :( 

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish someone would repro RiD tires. I have an X Brawn and Prime with split tires and I'd gladly buy replacements.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i have heard you can use superglue to repair them but in the end they'll just split in another place

i don't think there is a full time solution

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This is why rubber tires suck.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Are tires splitting due to a specific type of rubber used?

It only happened on my RID Prime and nothing else it seems.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    that is what i have heard, people said the rubber used for the tires of the RID toys is of a different quality than most rubber tires used, that is why most g1 tires don't split and these do

i heard car robots fire convoy's tire are way less prone to splitting

8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Surprisingly my RID Ultra Magnus, Sideburn, Prowl, and X-Brawn don't have tires splitting.

I guess it's almost a crapshoot.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My rubber problems:

RID Ultra Magnus (two of the rear tires on the "trailer")
    RID Optimus Prime (every tire)
    THS 02 Convoy (they were already split when I unsealed the box)
    Armada Scavenger treads (not splitting, they're very obviously rotting)

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Why tires split is still a mistery. My G1 figures don't sport split tires, as well as my RID Sideburn. Why? Hell if I know. As a kid I really "put some pressure" on my G1 figures with constant play, and still no split tires.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    a couple of my minibot tires are melty looking blobs, along with bluestreak's tires. Other than that, the old G1 tires are fine. Same for reissues.

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I superglued RiD Magnus' two front tyres back together - there's a visible seam, but it's only noticeable close-up. It's odd that he's the only TF I own that's been affected by this (and it seems particularly prevelant, the first Magnus I owned had the same issue) - none of my vintage G1 that has been in my possession for 20+ years has this problem.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've done the same with the RiD bots. It nearly breaks my heart to have to do this to either a RiD or G1 bot. Pretty soon, someone will have to superglue my heart back together.

14. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I used a fine thread to sew my RID Prime tires back together. It was good for a while but then a split came in another location.

The best bet for fixing this is to get one good tire and mold it in RTV then make a cast out of some other material. I should have done this before all my tyres split.

15. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Perhaps this is the answer! The rubber on toys that have been played with has perhaps been stretched and loosened, and so not prone to shrinking and splitting around the wheel. I've heard that the Wheels on RID prime are too big for the tyres, which may be part of the problem.

On a positive note, all the tyres on my Car Brothers (super and regular versions) are just fine. Still, repro tyres is a damn good idea.

It would be interesting to hear what conditions the "splittees" are kept under. On display in an air conditioned room? In a box in a cool, dry place? Let us know!

As mentioned, mine haven't split, but mine have spent most of their lives stored in a cool, though not completely dry, attic.

16. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have several MASK toys which suffer from exactly the same problem: deforming, melting and splitting tires.
    I used to keep them in a storage directly under the roof, where they suffered a lot form heat (in summer) and cold (in winter). During the years I played with them (and they were my favorite toys), they were always fine, but after I put them away the 'rot' started.

The problem is most probably comparable to Gold plastic Syndrome: a bad mix of chemicals (notably so-called plasticizers) in the plastics and rubber used in production, as well as evaporation and degredation of these plasticizers over time. Also, it seems that even bacteria cause the degradation of plasticizers!
    This wiki on plasticizers (especially the part about their use in plastics) gives some more information.

What I learned is that solid plastic wheels might look less cool than rubber wheels, but in the long term those plastic wheels do astay a whole lot better looking!

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Both my RID Magnus and Prime have ALL their tires split. I don't know how it happened.

18. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Would liquid rubber, used for coating electrical wires, work to fill small cracks?

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

My G1 KO Sunstreaker came from the factory split in half. Right now they are practically falling off the rims.
    My G1 Japanese Reissue Smokescreen is splitting like crazy as is my Commemorative Reissue Bluestreak.
    Somehow, my Japanese Prime of some odd years is still great as is my G1 Jazz and my Lamborghini figures.
    I've wondered why some tires crack and others don't especially when most are of the same age.
    I also wonder if it's dust that is "eating" them, or if it's the dry climate in which you live in.
    I really, really, really, wish/hope that somebody would repro rubber.
    As far as using crazy-glue, I wouldn't. Crazy-glue can fog and whiten the tires as it dries making them look worse than being cracked.
    However, I wonder if the tire-glue designed for RC cars can be used to fix it.
    I wouldn't try anything like that rubber-glue stuff as it's too thick and way too messy. You know which kind I mean.
    If anything I'd try that tire-glue for RC cars. They use it for keeping the tires on the rims, but I don't know if it can be used to fix cracks.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I was displeased the other day going through the storage tub that RiD are in to see that Magnus has several split tires.