Fixing loose joints?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paladin, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've heard about the clear nail-polish trick for tightening overly loose ball & socket joints. But are there methods that work for other types of joints/ connectors?

My Titanium Scourge and Animated Ultra Magnus are both suffering from loose leg problems and I'd really like to try and fix them.

2. Irony

Irony fangirl

I use colorless DEKA paint. It takes WEEKS to dry and it's a little sticky. I definitely love it in case of unreachable surfaces: it leaks in, you move the joint, wait an hour, then you can repeat it. Let it dry, and repeat as many times as needed.

3. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

After reading the Future floor wax article in Radicons, I decided to go out and grab a bottle. It was possibly the best Transformers-related purchase I have ever made. It's quite thin, so it'll run into cracks and tighten up just about any joint you want. As a testament to the stuff's power, I now have a stable Universe Galvatron, and perhaps more unbelievably, a completely non-floppy Energon Slugslinger.

So yeah, that's what I'd recommend, even for ball joints. In my experience, it's been more durable than nail polish, and doesn't have the problems of using superglue, like permanently gluing parts together accidentally.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, the floor wax is a good idea...i used superglue and did it carefully so that worked too.. but this way's safer i guess :D  galvy's always one to try it out on though... :lol 

5. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Here is an image illustrates the dental floss trick. Pretty easy to do, and a life saver for a lot of loose figures. Works well on most hinge joints that are loose, but you can't really take them apart to fix. Just don't get the no-brand cheap floss from dollar store for this, as they tend to tear or break much easier than the Johnson & Johnson ones. You definitely don't want the floss to break in the middle of the job. The Johnson & Johnson waxed tape is very strong and slippery, which is exactly what you need. And the can be curled and stay curled (because of the wax), making it much easier to get into the hinge gap. Some skinny dental tool, needle, or a tweezer sometmes help too, whatever you might find handy threading the floss through the gaps.

No fancy technique, but proves to be pretty handy.

[​IMG]