Fixing loose joints - possible solution?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Computer5, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Hey recently I acquired some 2nd hand transformers and being a germ-a-phobe....

I dumped animated lockdown, classics ramjet, and classics skywarp in some hot water (not boiling) with "Palmolive® Oxy Plus® Odor Eliminator™" and i'm assuming it did something to the plastic because it made the joints tighter.

I don't know if this will negatively impact the actual figures, but floppy legs lockdown is now standing like a champ. Ramjet had a floppy leg and that was corrected too.

What are your thoughts?

update -> 3-9-09

So i purchased a 2nd hand classics cliffjumper and he had loose leg joints. This time i just washed him in hot water and let him dry overnight. This morning it seems the joints are tighter now. So it seems it wasn't the palmolive that caused anything (even tho it does help kill weird smells) it was the hot water that helped. So that's my findings.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Does this affect the paint? I'd still go with superglue/whatever other options there are before bathing a TF in water..

3. Computer5

The paint apps were 100% fine. Stickers were 100% fine too. Ramjet's rubsign still worked and it didn't come off.

I can't find anything bad so far other than skywarp being super tight now. FYI - Skywarp was already good in terms of the joint department so he got a bit more tighter but I don't feel that the toy will break from constant transformations.

I am pleasantly surprised that lockdown and ramjet will not require nailpolish on my part. But regardless, at this point I'm not sure what is causing the joints to get tighter. It could be the dishwashing fluid or it could be the hot water. I washed a 2nd hand prowl a few weeks ago w/ just warm water and he doesn't appear to be tighter than normal.

Ah wells, I just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else had something done similiarly

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    If no negative effects start to appear on the longterm, I think you might have discovered something awesome. :) 

5. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    what you are going to need to do to verify the results is to repeat the test...you need to find some more loose joint TF's and do exactly what you did before...if the results are the same then you are onto something awesome...

6. Computer5

Oh yeah I forgot to mention:

A lot of customizers recommend that you clean the toy in warm water and dish washing fluid to clean the figure before a repaint.

I would assume if you clean it, that the hand oils and factory oils would be removed from the pins which could explain why they may be tighter.

But, it's been a week and ramjet is still tight and his leg is on a balljoint. Maybe the hot water made the plastic expand a bit and therefore made it tighter?

7. Computer5

The next loose TF i come across, i will try a test where I clean it only in hot water and the next w/ hot water and the palmolive.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Something you might have to watch out for are the screws and pins going rusty if you're going to dip TFs in water.

9. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Wouldn't adding a dab of WD-40 with a q-tip (to prevent unwanted dripping of oil onto the plastic) onto the parts you fear would rust help prevent that? Just be sure none gets into the newly tightened joints or it is all for naught.

10. Computer5

original post updated

11. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Though you seem to have found an interesting solution, I've always tightened joints by using a water-based craft super glue. You can usually find it in Michaels. It's great because it dries clear and flexible, as opposed to hard and locked-down. I've been using it for years and it's fantastic. It could be great for some of the more stubborn loose joints.

It's great for action figures in general but the only case I've used it for Transformers has been on G1 seekers where the wings easily slip out of the hole. Put a little of the glue in there and they quickly tighten up.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    hot water, if you don't do it right, can SHRINK parts, not expand them. I'd say it's simply you cleaning the joints, and nothing else. Trust me, I've dyed a ton of TF parts (which involves dipping them in super hot water) and it doesn't tighten joints.

13. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Absolutely agreed.

Plastics shrink in heat and also may become brittle because you dry out the chemicals in them that condition the plastic. Think of the reason they sell Armor All for the dashboard in your car. If you ever have any sealed packages that have creases or dents in the bubble, point a hair dryer at them and they will shrink back into place in most cases. Just don't do this too much, it will over shrink it real quick. You probably just washed off the last f the residue from the factory. The coat the molds with a slippery "mold release" chemical so the parts come out easy and don't stick.