Customs: Fixing blurred clear plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Unicron129, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

I tried to clean the "splashed" glue residue on two my G1 Rhino Season 1 boxset's disc holders. I used OOPS! (an oil product for removing sticky residues) and I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This blurred the plastic since the Mr. Clean eraser is abrasive and who knows what the OOPS! liquid contains. My question is, can I fix the plastic so that it looks clear again? It's only blurry on the four spots where the glue was. Here is a cell phone pic ( can't see the blurr but its there):

[​IMG]

Also, If anybody has any of these exact disc holders laying around, I could trade you mine.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'm not sure if it can be cleaned if you used an abrasive on it. Usually on something like that, I'd use Goo Gone (or something similar) and a paper towl or cloth to lightly clean and wipe it away (works on price stickers on plastic, games from Gamestop, etc.)

Did you scratch the plastic with the abrasive? If not, it could just be the stuff you used or the eraser itself that left it blurry. You could always try Goo Gone or soap and water to see if it helps any. Other than that, I honestly have no idea (sorry I couldn't be of more help, man).

3. Unicron129

that's ok. I am probably just going to have to replace it. Just need to find someone who is willing to switch.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    in the sign industry, we would buff out scrapes, blemishes and scratches in plastic using a torch. I think it's the only way once you've killed the polymers in the plastic.

5. Unicron129

I don't know who would trust me with a blow torch. lol.

6. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

Try Future Floor Polish. That's what airplane kit modelers use when they fog a canopy, and it works wonders to remove scratches from the windshields on Alternators (and my iPod). The stuff's cheap as hell, and has a bazillion different uses. Wonder product.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just remove the plastic from the DVD set, it is only attached with four dabs of hot glue on each corner. Get a similar junker box set (many use the same trays, especially older ones) and glue that one back on.

8. Unicron129

I already removed the disc holders. That is why they are fogged (I was trying to remove the glue).I like the floor shine idea. If I were to replace the discholders, I would need an exact match because I'm OCD like that :banghead: . Where could I find this Future Floor Polish?

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    hair dryer may have enough heat to help!

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brasso buddy, it used to work for the plastic fronts of iPods it should work fine on a plastic case. Usually costs like $4 at walmart and targets.

WTF LOL, really?!? Like a blow torch?

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    walmart, with the dusting sprays and air fresheners and such. Future Floor Finish (not polish)

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, like fire. It's super fast (under a second, literally) and (if done right) will fix even deep scratches into plastic. A lot of those office directories you sometimes see, have 3/8 or thicker plastic shielding the contents. When plastic that large gets scratched, it's way expensive to replace the entire plastic cover, so they torch it.

It's tough to do, but you could always practice on another junk gem case or similar plastic, to see how it reacts.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Future floor polish is available at wally-world, and most grocery stores. Check the cleaning isle. Any clear coat would do the same thing. (just make sure it doesn't attack the plastic)

It's also possible to buff the plastic back to a shine, using super fine grit sandpapers used for buffing car paint.

14. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

You can also buff plastic back to clear with auto body polish. Start with coarse then work your way down to mirror polish.

I've done that MANY times with clear plastic that's gotten scratched. Also works well to buff out DVDs/CDs.

15. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

the best way to to make it clear is to buff it back.

future's floor finish is basically just high gloss clear acrylic in liquid form, unless you are using a paint gun it's really hard to get a good even coat. if you just brush it on or dip the whole thing in future you'll get tiny air bubbles on the dvd case or it will have a really uneven finish.

you may want to start with 800-1000 grit sandpaper, i can't tell how blurry it is....and then work your way up from there....i normally go all the way up to 12,000 grit and then use a buffing compound to give it that extra crystal clear touch....by the time you reach 8,000 grit it'll probably be good enough.

i did a cell phone concept that had an SLA (stereolithography) clear screen that came really blurry from the rapid prototype company. i had to buff it out with sanding:

[​IMG]

16. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We do flame polishing in my shop too.
    It's a pretty cool technique.

17. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Tooth Paste. Maybe?

I personally don't know if it will work because I haven't tried it but some guys at TFans said it works great.

18. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think fixing fogged plastic is a bit like trying to fix a mashed potato. It's too far gone.

19. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

I still say give the Future a go. It's only $3 or $4 for a huge-ass bottle that will last you for the rest of your natural life, and you'll doubtless find other uses for it eventually. Naysayers be damned.

Just dip a Q-tip lightly into the stuff and let the excess run off, then wipe a thin layer onto the clouded area. The stuff's self-leveling, so it should even itself out after a few minutes before it dries. Buff it with a soft cloth after it's completely dry. I've used this technique on countless toys with clear plastic, and when used sparingly, I've never had the air bubble or uneven coating problems others have mentioned.

Y'figure, the plastic's already foggy and ruined, so there's no real harm in experimenting to see if it works, right?

20. Unicron129

I'll go for the Future Floor Finish since the buffing seems like it would be harder to pull off.