Fixing balljoints on figures.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jingjing, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

Yeah, so I've got a G1 Whirl with really loose arms, and I'd like to try and tighten upp the balljoints. What is your recommendation on the best and most discrete way to do that?

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

Not sure there's a way, so take advice from someone with more exp, but I would say maybe to take the joint you want tightened (opposite of ball), warm it up with a hair dryer, and once heated, push the two sides that go around the ball joint together a little, making it a tighter fit. But i'd wait for someone else's advice first lol.

3. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with the standard nail polish or layer of superglue methods? Personally, I would NOT try that hairdryer approach. That sounds like a risk for snapping the joint.

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I stick a small bit of kleenex into the socket. Works every time.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The thing with Whirl is that his 'balls' are metal and the joint is plastic IIRC, so superglue or nail varnish probably wouldn't work. The tissue paper solution sounds like it should do the job though. At least it's not chemically invasive to the materials the figure is made out of.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I use crazy glue to add a extra layer to the round part of the ball joint. this tightens up the joints permently.

using clear nail polish is a temperary solution. it will eventually wear away/off.

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

your right it won't work. I used crazy glue & tried to tighten up a few metal pin joints on MP Megatron upper waist assembly hips & it didn't work.

8. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Have you tried reversing the procedure? Polishing/gluing the plastic joint rather than the ball? I see no reason why the ball being metal should affect the physics of trick. Superglue just happens to stick less well to metal than it does plastic, which flipping the application should fix.

9. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    This since it is a G1 figure, and you might not want to modify it too much.

The other solution that works better than super glue is to use a little Pledge Floor Finish with Future! Shine. Most Walmarts carry the stuff for cheap. Dab it on the ball joint, and then wait for it to dry in 10-15 minutes. It hardens and stays in place with no scraping.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Something I used to do on old figures with loose joints where the ball is metal was to use sandpaper or a file and rough up the metal surface a little so it would accept glue or nail polish better. Or you might be able to get a thin layer of solder to stick to the metal ball.
    Also, and I've no idea if this would work because I've just thought it up, perhaps you could take a thin sheet of plastic and heat form it to wrap around the metal ball to add a thin extra layer shell.

11. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just did exactly this to my whirl about 3 months ago. The nail polish works fine, I don't remember the ball being metal either. But I just applied a light coat to both balls, evenly. They are nice and tight and I have transformed him a dozen times and possed him and they still feel great.

12. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

Nah, it isn't metal. The nail polish thingy worked great, did the same thing just now. Thanks for all the input guys!