fixing a busted Soundwave tape door

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sso02V, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    the G1 Soundwave I got recently has a distorted tape door that keeps it from closing all the way. The bottom corner on the button side is warped/bent upwards, and I'm wondering just how to fix it. I'm considering heating it up and bending it back into place, since I'm sure just bending it would probably break it, and that wouldn't help my situation much at all.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Do you have a picture?

3. Sso02V

News Credits:
    camera's dead, but I could try the webcam

edit: here we go

[​IMG]
    threw the red there just to better define the outline. as you can see on the right, the plastic is bent just slightly enough to be a nuisance.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to see it... Your best bet is probably heat and bending, like you had originally suggested.

5. Sso02V

News Credits:
    It's clear as day in person, it's just a hard thing to get a good shot of. shiny tinted transparent plastic and whatnot. so what would be the best thing to heat it up with? I don't want to go melting the whole thing.

6. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Just lay it on a solid flat surface.
    Heat it up slowly with a blowdryer on Med.
    Find something like a book to put on top of the bad corner after you heat it up, but not too heavy. Just something to depress it a little.
    Let it sit a min.
    Rinse and repeat as needed.

You can try bending it with your fingers when warm, but it won't be perfect.

7. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

it would be so much easier if some1 made kos of just the window (since that is wut allways breaks on most soundwaves) but ya, i think heating it up is all you can do

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

If you really need it I took apart a Soundwave recently and can take a picture of all his parts disassembled. Be careful he has a loose little 'L' shaped piece of metal that pops out when you undo his chest (works with the spring to open the door). I was never aware of that little piece until I took him apart recently (I am thinking of having him chromed...is it true bicycle store can chrome stuff?).

9. Sso02V

News Credits:
    I took him apart already, and right now he looks sorta like a Transformers version of the "Operation" game. But a picture of where that L shaped part would be appreciated, since it flew out as soon as I opened him up. I found it, but didn't get much of a chance to see it in its original configuration.

10. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    If you heat that plastic up, don't rinse it. It will be warm or even hot and it could crack the plastic due to the quick change in temperature. My guess is it will crack some of the gold off anyways once its moved around a bit.
    If you had a few extra bucks, you might even just look on ebay for a beater Soundwave with a nice enough door to replace it with.

11. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

well, i got another POS soundwave for christmas and i looked inside and it had a mangled door, so i opened it up and ill try the blowdryer technique

EDIT: OH SNAP

ok dont do the blow dryer technique
    [​IMG]
    my small warp turned into almost melting

or maybe i needed a weaker blow dryer...