Fist of the North Star

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Takeshi357, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Just to go with my usual dislike for how classic anime gets treated in the DVD land, FotNS is probably one of the worst offenders, being an enormous hit (at least in it's homeland) while being abysmally treated in the english-speaking territories.

As you all know or may not know, the sole english-language DVD release (not counting the numerous bootlegs from the far-east with their abysmal translations) are the six volumes released by Manga which is so bad on so many ways...

1) The Japanese audio track is in awful condition
    2) The opening music and animation has been completely replaced
    3) The six volumes only cover some 36 episodes, ending the series in a middle of a story arc

As for the number two, I think the original theme music (Ai wo Torimodose) is like one of the best anime theme songs ever and replacing the OP in such blatant fashion is like...I dunno, putting a happy ending on Grave of Fireflies or something. And number three is pretty self-explanatory.

It does say something when the entire series has been released in Italy and France, complete with the option for original audio and subtitles, but not in the US or UK. Regardless of how well received the show is/could be in the english-language nations, what I'd like to see on DVD...

Now, the series is like 109 episodes long (Hokuto no Ken 2 excluded), so that'd mean quite a bunch of DVDs...however, the series is split into four major story arcs, so if they at least released the first arc of 22 episodes in a single box set with the original OP, properly remastered and with english subs, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Hell, having a some kind of special edition of just the original animated movie would make me happy.

I'd make an online petition for that but we all know how useless online petitions are...

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I had only seen the movie that I have on VHS.

I wasn't even aware that the series had been translated until I saw it on cable.
    The animation just didn't compare with newer shows, and it did not make me want to seek out any DVD release.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Yeah, I wonder why that is![/sarcasm]

Seriously, that's the other problem I have with these so-called anime fans, they get all eww and stuff when faced with animation that doesn't use computer enhancement whatsoever.

I myself only get all giddy whenever an anime review says "dated animation" - the older stuff has a genuinely hand-made feel to it, unlike this modern, overly-polished, cgi-enhanced stuff.

Oldschool ftw :rock 

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    "Oldschool" is an amazing style, all hand drawn stuff.

The new Guyver series is so bad with its animation its shocking, its because the time isn't put into it like it once was. Its all rushed and money, money, money. Feels less personal and that someone actually didnt care about the project.

Akira is still one of the best drawn anime's and its like 20+ years old.

The thing with FotNS you have to remember the time frame and how it was all viewed by people who thought it was all the devil. So shit got edited and left out.

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Wasn't it outright banned in the UK?

All this considering the blood wasn't even red. Despite the criticisms, I came to like the whiting out the blood as a sort of artistic solution, I thought it was kind of stylish.

The funny thing with the english-language video version was that they didn't give the episodes new, less garish titles. Instead, they kept them the way they were, like episode 29: "IT'S TOO LATE FOR YOU TO BEG FOR YOUR LIFE! To Hell With You, Boss Fang!" and episode 32: "THE FOUR LINKED FISTS OF RAGE! Jagi! I'll Wait For You In Hell!" :D 

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i love fist. yes, i said love fist.

i though the animation was pretty good myself. i loved it when that counter used to come on screen and peoples head would explode. badassery.

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

"Omae wa mou, shindeiru!" :D