Heavy/Scratch: First Timer : Movie-verse Bruticus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jon5000, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Hello everybody.

First post from a UK based Transformers fan. Only recently got back into everything with the films - altho was well and truly an 80s child. I'm an enthusiastic model maker more to the point, and finding this site I felt inspired to post a recent Transformers creation of mine.

Presenting, Bruticus.

Inspired by the latest film's rendition of Devastator, I thought I'd give Bruticus a go in the same light. Always my favourite combiner when I was a kid, drove my parents mad trying to acquire all of the components!

A few liberties taken with the alt modes - most worthy of mention being Blastoff, who is now an F15 (alas, a 1/72 scale space shuttle would have made ol' Bruticus' arm rather large!).

In no particular order, the alt modes are

Onslaught: a US Army M1126 'Stryker' ICV
    Blastoff: aforementioned as an F15 Strike Eagle
    Vortex: a UH60 Blackhawk
    Swindle: a Humvee
    Brawl: an M24 Chaffee

The particular among you will note the jumbled periods - size was the deciding factor here. Lets pretend they landed near a war museum or something!

Designing him, I wanted to evoke the hulking mass of a Warhammer 40,000 Titan (another memory from childhood), which I seem to remember having these huge shoulders in comparison to a smaller body - just looked bad, basically. And keeping things in scale, both Blastoff and Vortex as an F15 and Blackhawk, respectively, were much larger than the other Combaticons, which gave this fantastic 'top heavy' look. And extending the head out accentuated everything nicely.

Making him, I started with a stripped down movie Ironhide toy (chosen because of the head mold, which I thought was Bruticus'ish'), and cannibalized various hobby kits to fill the various components (all 1/72 scale).

Sadly, he is very much a static model - I'm no way skilled enough to make a 'transforming' Transformer just yet!

So, lemme know what you guys think. Overall I'm pretty pleased as a first attempt. Never been the greatest renderer in the world, it doesn't hold up to as close scrutiny as I'd like. Something to work on!

Hopefully I'll be onto something else soon. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. RyanUybengkee

RyanUybengkee Well-Known Member

looks interesting dude. how tall is he?

3. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

His average height is about 25cm

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

wow. fantastic

5. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan