First time TF-convention-goer question?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by SAF7, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This years TFcon will be the first Transformers convention I go to (not counting my one afternoon at Botcon '08), and I was wondering what would be a good amount of money to bring? I know it would be a different amount depending on what you want, but I'm just wondering what would be a good average? Thanks!

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It depends on how much you want to spend, really. Cash is king at shows like this, as not every dealer takes credit or debit. Also, ATMs in the area tend to run out quickly, or at least have a substantial lineup, so bring as much as you think you'll need.

Things to keep in mind:
    - How much do you want to walk away with? Are there certain items you know you're going to want to buy? How much will they cost you? Is there a limit to how much you can afford to spend?
    - Are you going to need more money for food, drinks, taxi, hotel, etc.? Will you be able to pay with credit/debit/cheque, or will cash make it more convenient? Are there any situations you can see arising where you'll need a reserve of cash?
    - If you need more cash, will you be able to reliably and conveniently get more? (see comment about ATM above)

It really does depend on you, the best advice I can give instead of a hard number to bring is to try and think about how much you'll need, as it does vary considerably from one person to the next. If you're pressing for a hard number (which is nigh impossible because I don't know anything about you as a collector), I'd say a couple hundred bucks in cash is probably enough to cover all your expenses, get you some good stuff from the dealer room, and have a bit of reserves left for emergencies. You may also want to figure out ways so that you're not carrying it all at once (splitting the wad between you and a significant other, for example).

3. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Here's a money-saving tip for any convention: bring your own food. Hotels and especially convention centers overcharge like crazy for food and drinks because they know they have a captive audience. Bringing your own food and/or snacks means you don't have to make room in your budget for meals. You'll be able to spend more on stuff you actually want.