First Strike

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Danny-Boy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    Are you reading IDW's First Strike? Be sure to tune in tonight 6pm CST as we will have on Writer Mairghread Scott as this weeks special guest.

Autobot City Toyz

2. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:

3. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the Micronauts First Strike one-shot was fun, but it's quite peripheral to any of the goings on in the main books. This is more to set up the Rom-Micronauts combined ongoing and to show what some of the people not involved in the crossover but still in the 'verse are up to.

Looks like the Wraiths are trying to take advantage of the Transformers and GI Joe's attention being elsewhere...

4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Actually it's just going to be a miniseries.

And Rom and the Micronauts really do feel like a non-presence in this event. All for the better though. No need to unnecessarily crowd the narrative. Which is rather good I must add.

The highlight of this issue for me was the conversation between Optimus and Scarlett.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zylly103

News Credits:
    Mini-series, my mistake.

But you are correct. There's enough other players in the main event without crowding in more factions.

And even without being active players, the shadow of the events of Rom and Micronauts looms large enough as is.

6. Zylly103

News Credits:
    And now, having read this week's installment of the main event book....

I truly appreciate the symatry of a genocidal conflict being presented via Sunstreaker vs. Colson.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Both the Joe-MASK and Micronauts-ROM one-shot duologies don't really have anything to do with the plot of First Strike, beyond "the Transformers and the G.I. Joe leadership are off-planet, giving the baddies their opportunity to unleash their evil plots!"
    (I didn't like the Micronauts one. It was really just "ROM 101 for Micronauts fans, with a dose of Wrath of Karza recap".)

• Like Like x 1
  8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Heh, 'red helm.'

Makes sense for a cybertronian to call hair that.

9. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i am and have been a fan of g.i. joe since 1982 but this new hasbro universe title is hard for me to enjoy due to it's cartoon inspiration and art. strangely, however, it embraces joe mythology in a way hama STILL does not. i will never quit a.r.a.h. but it's not my favorite comic for the first time since 1982. i felt revolution was too rushed and introduced too many characters and story lines. i have enjoyed first strike a great deal more. i do like joe and cobra in the limited series but know very little concerning action man, visionaries, mask, etc. rom and micronauts were favorites under marvel and bill mantlo's writing but the elements i enjoyed most about those titles are marvel owned which sucks since they're not even using those characters anyway. i want sister wraiths introduced in rom 47, commander rann, marionette, dog soldiers, huntarr, bug, etc. in idw's micronauts along with it's direct sales adult themes that i feel would fit in nicely with some of transformers' themes and politics.

10. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Two questions, how does embrace the mythology in a way Hama doesn't and what is your new favorite?

11. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

hama vis a.r.a.h. has included very little post-1994 despite many readers asking him to utilize the 2000 era. the transformer's joe title has embraced sgt. savage, red shadows, action team, etc. i'm a cobra command fan, for the most part, and want to see ALL the different vipers and vehicles and individuals like wraith (which in tf continuity wraith's armor of invisibility could be of cybertronian design). as for my new favorite, i suppose you mean favorite of all comics currently being published? if that is the case, it's a bit of a tie but kirby-inspired fourth world titles and one-shots and chaykin's "divided states of hysteria". however, if the tf idw collection hardcovers would come out more often or go back to the higher page count, they would be my third tie for first place. they offer so many different genres and are more adult than many would think.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. You think he's stuck in the past. Guess he's sticking to what he knows, though to be fair he has created original stuff, such as the Blue Ninja's. I've been reading ARAH, but it's been awhile since I've read it(I've only been a G.I. Joe fan for about a year or so). But I can't help but wonder, how much longer can he keep it up, I mean he's got to end it at some point.

13. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i'm hoping idw continues the same numbering and employs a writer like bellomo (sp?) who knows the continuity better than hama once he retires.

14. Zylly103

News Credits:
    That said, it is kind of cool to see that the EVENT isn't the only important thing going on in the universe. These other players all have goals and things of their own going on.

15. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I disagree with this point. The only characters that actually launched out of Revolution was MASK. All the other characters got their own books before-hand.

16. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

So with every issue I just hate Joe Colton even more.

Was satisfying to see
    Sgt. Savage beating him down in Revolutionaries. Looking forward to him suffering the consequences of his actions later.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's really the TFs fault since they keep underestimating a group of smart dangerous humans who want to kill them all.

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

They're neither smart nor dangerous. They're just protected behind a hilariously obvious plot armor just so this entire silly premise can work.

Colton's superpower is magically making his opponents incompetent because the writers demands so.

This is one of the dumbest comic book events this year. Not the Secret Empire level of bad, but nothing astonishing anyway.

Revolutionaries was a good book, but the First Strike itself doesn't bring anything valuable or interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pluto

pluto Well-Known Member

Iunno, Colton seems like a legit threat (its not for nothing he's put together a bunch of self-interested freaks for his plan).

Elita on the other hand is a goddamn maniac and is far from the fairly no-nonsense archon we saw in TAAO.

Elita's wacky diatribe did however lead into a pretty interesting take on OP, whose let all that prime mythos sink into his ego, and realises he hasn't had to rely on his down-to-earth space-truckin' values in a long time.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Colton seems like a legit threat only because by the plot demand his adversaries must be acting incompetent. A planet full of war-veterans suddenly can't organise and put up a fight.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Elita starts acting like an idiot because someone has t, so plot can move forward.

Can't suspend my disbelief high enough to buy any of this.

This event is silly.