First Strike

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Danny-Boy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well we know he's showing up in the Optimus Prime tie-in. Other than that, I have no idea why they'd be keeping them in shadow. They don't need to hide Iron Klaw's identity. I also highly doubt its Tomax, as he was more than happy to sell out Kreiger and Ironblood to the Revolutionaries.

2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This issue was more about the human being compete villains and how TF's shouldn't underestimate humans just becusce their small and don't live forever.

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I think this issue just proves that you really need to read the other Hasbro books to get a complete picture of what's going on. The numerous shout-outs to Mask books made me think I was reading an advertisement for Mask.

More concerning is that ALL of the books I picked up in my last run (Optimus 10, Revolutionaries 7, First Strike 2, Rom vs TF) involve crossover characters and events. I guess only Lost Light is immune from IDW's mandate of a Hasbroverse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I mean, three of those four books are literally crossover limited series. They do not exist in a non-crossover state.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I guess the thing you have to remember with crossovers like these is that just because they refer to events in other comics, doesn't mean that knowledge of those events is actually necessary for understanding the crossover's story. Like, sure, you have to read MASK #10 to find out why MASK broke up, or the Annual to find out how they got the techno-virus, but the bits that are relevant - that MASK has broken up, and that they have a special techno-virus to use as a weapon - are in First Strike already.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I think Revolutionaries is ongoing?

But yeah, I guess I'm lamenting the end of TAAO in favor of crossover events.

7. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Revolutionaries is ending at issue 8. It was basically a mini that served to bridge Revolution to First Strike (since nearly everything about it factored into First Strike's story). And it isn't really "TAAO ending in favor of crossovers." The crossovers were going to happen regardless, and its likely that even without them TAAO sales were going to continue to slip until it was cancelled. Its just an unfortunate happenstance that the two happenings coincided.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The point is more "Revolutionaries wouldn't exist if it weren't for the shared universe".
    Your choice isn't between four comics with Hasbroverse elements and four pure Transformers comics, it's between four comics with Hasbroverse elements and one pure Transformers comic.

9. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Mm, TAAO ended because IDW weren't happy with its sales. If they'd been better, it would have continued as usual after First Strike.

And yeah, Revolutionaries literally exists because the writers went "hmm, what could we do with Action Man after Revolution?" It and First Strike and Rom vs. TF aren't Transformers titles that had crossover elements inserted into them by decree, they were made to be crossover titles from the ground up. Their story structures completely hinge upon the inclusion of non-TF elements!

• Like Like x 5
  10. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm suddenly reminded of why I stopped watching wrestling.

When I was a wee preteen I didn't have cable, and could only really watch wwe smackdown. But every episode of smackdown just felt like a 2 hour long advertisment for that month's pay per view event. Eventually I got sick of it and stopped watching.

Part of me really wished idw could just time skip ahead like 400 years to the future, where all of the stupid gijoe, mask, micronauts, action man, visionaries, and stretch Armstrong, are dead and we can go back to having Transformers comics be about Transformers.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    But all the Transformers comics are about Transformers. You could happily read just Optimus Prime and Lost Light, and the only effect of the shared universe you'd see would be three G.I. Joe characters sporadically appearing in OP. They're both continuing as normal during First Strike, without doing any kind of tie-in beyond Optimus, Arcee, Soundwave and Victorion not appearing for a couple of issues.

All that's changed is that there's now some extra comics featuring the Transformers plus some other guys, but they're not needed to understand the TF-only books and nobody's making you read them.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    So, the Joes are now on Cybertron. To be more precise, Scarlett, Roadblock, and Lady Jaye, in addition to Matt Trakker and Gloria Baker.

The Ironblood that we've seen since the beginning of the event is actually Doctor Mindbender. The whole assault on Cybertron's surface has been a distraction. While Colton(now wearing the soldier outfit we've seen in the covers) and his Cabal head down to Cybertron's core...

And unfortunately for the Joes, being Human doesn't make them welcome on Cybertron. Cause the moment they step into the council chamber, Elita One orders them executed.

We also see how Colton recruited Miles Mayhem, as well as his further mutilation of Blitzwing, who has now lost both of his eyes, someone just put him out of his misery already.

The main stories now halfway done now and it's still been strictly Transformers and G.I. Joe with a touch of MASK.

Next week we get one of the six tie in one-shots.

13. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well, issue #3 is out and it looks like Colton was mystery man after all. The highlight of this series is the villains. I'm really liking their dynamic. These are clearly people who do not get along at all, but have to work together to take out a larger threat to them all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I like how even the villains don't like Mayhem.

And the Camien fashion sense keeps coming up- the twins have a lot of pagetime here and considering how little they've gotten outside the whole Torchbearer team, it's pretty fun, they really do have their own personalities. I'm always for more combiner teams being fleshed out!

Action Man is one of the few humans you could straight-up drop into TF full time as a 'human friend' and I wouldn't mind. He's fun!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Decepticus Maximus

Decepticus Maximus Member

I have this odd feeling that there may be one more major villian who has yet to be introduced. Also, who do you think may die in this event?

16. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    So G.I. Joe: First Strike dropped today, and man oh man, this is the kind of stuff I love about Sitterson's writing on G.I. Joe. Seeing some of the less-used Joes go up against V.E.N.O.M. was awesome. And that final page? Man, I did not see that coming at all. This is the kind of crazy fun I love! I also think Sitterson is dropping some hints about Gung-Ho's sexuality, which I am all for.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Truth be told, I'm starting to not like this over-the-top superhero esque version of the Joes. I'm more fond the way they were portrayed in Robert Atkins run, relatively grounded but with a sci-if touch.

And granted, I prefer the way Scott is writing them over Sitterson. Not to mention his comments of late have left a bad taste in my mouth.

18. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely a fan of the kinetic lunacy of the tie-in issue. Especially Shipwreck's command-induced breakdown.

• Like Like x 2
  19. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i enjoy elements of this latest cross-over but would enjoy seeing transformers continuity be given a time-off period from shared epics and be allowed to solely embrace tf mythology for a longer time period than its been allowed recently. BUT for storytelling considerations, i do hope that all these important cross-overs will be reprinted in ; the hard covered tf: the idw collection as i only buy the monthlies occasionally.

20. pluto

pluto Well-Known Member

So not being a Gi Joe afficionado I did a quick google of Gung-Ho and I gotta wonder if there was ever any doubt? Not to take away from what you point out or anything, because yay!

Also I'm bigtime liking the writing on First Strike so far. For a mega derp-o crossover it's pretty snappy and everyone seems to have lotsa personality and time to shine (lookin' at you heli-twins/Soundwave buddies and Mayhem/Storm Shadow).

Also Antagony-Shazzarella is wonderful, just wonderful.