First Strike Optimus prime problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusGinrai, Feb 26, 2012.

1. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

Hope this is the right place to ask this. Anyway, my 07 voyager Prime repaint has a problem with his right knee, it just WONT STAY into his leg. The left is fine, though. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Pics or this thread is useless.

3. OptimusGinrai

[​IMG]

The Knee in question. It just wont fit into this hole.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If it's loose you could try the nail polish or superglue trick. I know the Voyager I got back in '07 had one loose leg there as well or I'd have said it might be mold degredation (although I'm sure that's happened by now anyway).
    I suppose it depends how loose it is. If it's falling out of the hole with barely any effort then layers of glue or polish might not be enough.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Mine is similar, so this may be a common issue.

A little dab of glue as suggested may help.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Obviously just make sure the applied glue is completely dry before you try plugging the knee back in. Don't go gluing your figure shut.

7. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Ugh, I own like... 4 (5? 6?) of this mold and sometimes it takes a bit of persuasion to get that joint to stay, but I don't have any that just won't at all. As mentioned earlier, just use some glue/clearcoat/etc. to beef up the peg a bit.

8. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

As others have asked, you need to clarify what you mean by "won't fit". Does it fit in, but not stay (i.e., it is loose) or does it not go in (i.e., it is too big).

The solution depends on the problem. Too loose means a little glue or polish on the "male" part (the blue portion). Too big means that you need to file down the male part or widen the female part a bit.

From your picture, I suspect that you might have the second issue (too big). There's a bit of excess plastic from the sprue visible on the blue bit that might be popping the knee out.

9. OptimusGinrai

Thanks you all guys, I'll try the glue method :D  And It doesn't go in becasue it seems to small...

10. OptimusGinrai

Well, Glue didn't work.. What now?

11. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I'm still not fully understanding what you're saying here or at least I suspect that there might be some miscommunication.

To be clear, the peg fits into the hole fine, it just doesn't stay (i.e., it flops back out), correct? That is, Prime is able to stand straight just fine, right?

If that's the case, you may just need several layers of glue/polish. The issue in such a case is simply a matter of friction: you don't have enough of it. The mechanics of how the parts stay together isn't overly complicated.

Add enough glue/polish until the blue male piece becomes more tightly fitted to the red female piece.

12. OptimusGinrai

I believe that is exactly the problem, it needs more friction. I'll try that, thanks!