"FIRST STRIKE" - Next IDW Hasbro Event Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Danny-Boy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Not to mention that LL would need another several-months time-skip in order to interact with the rest of the universe at all - they're still ages behind.

(Per MTMTE #50, the night of the DJD siege was three weeks before ex-RID #50, and Revolution is set "months" after that issue. Meanwhile it's only a matter of days since the siege in LL.)

• Like Like x 2
  2. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Well-Known Member

If I want to read a G.I. Joe book I'll pick up a G.I. Joe book. If I want a Transformers books I'll pick up a Transformers book. If I want a crossover I'll pick up a separate crossover book. I have no problems of all these properties existing in the same universe or even having character from one comic appear in the other it's been the bed and butter of American mainstream comics for decades.

But an event FORCES you to read a big ass crossover even if you don't want to, and the quality of the art always goes to shit bc IDW is a small company that can't (or doesn't want to) invest in good artist all the time.

So no, a company stopping all of the comics you're reading for a few months so that they can shove an event up your butt isn't the same as simply having a separate crossover comic. Hell DC right now is the antitheses of Marvel by not having any events and concentrating on the quality of the storie. And the sales numbers show that they are better for it.

Besides the "Hasbroverse" is obviously failing pretty hard as it is with all of the cancellations, I don't think that anything other than the Transformers will continue as ongoings in two or three years.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

WTF, WHY?!

And I'm not even talking about the fact they're creating another frikking event since is the nature of comics after all and I will probably avoid it anyway. I'm talking about putting frikking Mairghread Scott on it.

Scott has never been good at creating widescreen action and fast, consistent pacing (which is pretty obvious in recent issues of TAAO) and now they allow her to write a event book where those aspects are essential?!

What is happening in this line?!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Well unlike Revolution, this crossover seems more clear cut. The previous one had quite a few moving parts.

This one its Transformers, along with G.I. Joe and MASK, vs the lastest incarnation of Cobra. We don't even know if Rom and the Micronauts are involved in this one. Are they?

And at least G.I. Joe and MASK aren't at the Transformers throats, now their on the same page.

I'm with Jalaguy, I enjoyed Revolution, and I'll enjoy this.

The art, doesn't look as good as Revolution's though.

Also, on a particular note, this'll be the first time humans have ever stepped foot on Cybertron in IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G.I. Joe is in OP and as long as the comic is set on Earth Autobots are going to interact with humans and especially the Joes. You can still do that with TaaO and LL there are no humans in those comics. Than I don't see the problem with this comic since it's a mini crossover that's been building up since Optimus returned to Earth.

I don't think anyone who skipped out on Revolution was confused by later issues of TaaO, Lost Light, or even OP. People think they need to read these events to know what happens when most of the time they can skip them or read up on the wikia. That's complete nonsense, we have a solid creative team for two issues and maybe they'll be on till the end or switch out, becusce of deadlines, but the art and writing are uasal good. I wish people would stop acting like this event is gonna somehow bankrupt IDW or something like that.

No it makes sense for OP and TaaO to stop, if they are stopping or skipping round of this crossover event that would natual affected those comics anyway. You most not be paying close enough attention to DC, becusce they haven't stop doing events or crossovers they've just been making them short and fast paced or putting them to the side. Marvel has awhile lot of problems that the crossovers aren't helping, but not the cause of them

If cancellations meant something was failing than DC would've gone back to Pre-Flashpoint or IDW would quit making G.I. Joe comics. They just have to find the right way to sell them is all and even if all those comics get cancelled IDW isn't gonna give up on the Hasbroverse, they'll just relaunch it or make the characters regulars in TF comics.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  6. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    it nothing in universe that worries me/us. it's editorial decisions from idw that worry me.
    Revolution didnt affect anything plot wise in more than meets the eye, but it did result in 3 months without any stories from Rodimus and co.

7. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with that thinking is editorial is always gonna make a decision the fans don't like; wrap up this storyline, don't use that character, add this concept to the story, we just have to roll with the punches becusce at any moment Hasbro/IDW could include Unicorn in the comics and end atheism in the universe (they basically did with the Dire Wraiths using actual magic), which we all know is gonna happen, but probably not for awhile.

I don't think Revolution delayed any of those comics becusce TF comics have had delayed issues since ever and fans need to stop using comic delays as a reason to hate the crossovers.

8. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Another crossover was inevitable, but seeing as I actually enjoyed Revolution I'm willing to remain cautiously optimistic about First Strike. At least they're building the story around something that was going to happen anyway (Earth joining the Council of Worlds), and thinking about it if any preexisting plot thread was gonna result in a crossover this was the most likely.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not going to change what I buy. I'll get the three books I get now and the recap page will catch me up if I miss an issue.

Though I do plan to get the Rom/Transformers book too..

• Like Like x 2
  10. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Well-Known Member

G.I.Joe wasn't in OP. Not really, not in any way that matters. There were a lot of angry people who claimed that Transformers is now ruined because of the G.I.Joes but that insane because all OP did was rename EDC into G.I.Joe all the same character from EDC are in there, all of the are relevant and it's an obvious continuation of exRID. There wasn't suddenly a Cobra Commander as the villain or anything like that, it was literally just exRID 2.0 with the exact same character only the name of the human agency changed. And I have nothing against that. It's telling it's own story in a big universe that's how stuff works in comics. Just becuase Batman and Supermen exist in the same universe it doesn't mean that every batman comic must have Superman in it.

We're not acting like the events are going to bankrupt IDW you're just putting words in my mouth and straw-manning me as some angry manchild that doesn't want to share his toys with the other children. Again I LIKE the idea of the hasbro verse. Put it all in MASK, GI Joe, Visionaries, Inhumanoids, Playdoh, Monopoly put it all in I'm all for it. But do it organically and let the world build itself like how Barber does it with the Revolutionaries and not by having non stop event comics. Event comics are literally the cancer of the comic industry that push away potential readers (I know many people that gave up on marvel despite loving their work because of their insanity with the events) and EVERY avid comic reader will tell you the same.

Also IDW HAS stopped makin G.I.Joe comic...multiple times in fact because they always sold like shit. The die-hard GI Joe fanbase have their RAH Hama comic and they don't care about anything else, and Stitterson's only been making enemies in that fandom as of recently.

MASK was completely awul garbagefire that no human should read so of course it's ending, ActionMan only laster 4 issues despite being the best of the all the new hasbroverse comics and Micronauts was a really decent space-opera that doesn't have the nostalgic staying power to be an ongoing (even the original comic which was miles better than the IDW version was only about 60 issues in the era when comic were at the hight of their popularity) and revolutionaries had no chance of cointinuing as they were because they were too closely tied to an event that ended.

The Transformers have been time and time again proven to have the staying power and the public interest to be ongoings. At best the other books will continue as mini series but it's obvious that the original idea of HUGE UNIVERSE WITH A FUCKTON OF ONGOINGS isn't working out as they hopped, given the hype around Revolution.

11. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Space Knight

News Credits:
    Well, Action Man was only ever planned to be a miniseries that led into Revolutionaries.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boatformer

Boatformer Member

Twitter:
    It wasn't promoted as such, though. I think they were hoping it could survive longer - maybe they would've had Ian in both the team and his own book, like Wolverine! - but probably didn't have any illusions about the likelihood of that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Space Knight

News Credits:
    Fair point. It was John who said that it was only gonna be a miniseries during one of my conversations with him. Although I certainly would have loved to see both Revolutionaries AND Action Man continue.

• Like Like x 1
  14. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great.....more forced crossovers featuring annoying Human(oids) that Transformers will be tip toeing around instead of just stepping on! Does this mean that TAAO is will be done then?

How many Colonies did they discover last year like 7 out of 13, non of which has anything to do with that Revolutions crap they continue to force feed via Transformers success yet only make more fans consider cancelling their TF subscriptions!

Pass!

15. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Well-Known Member

Another "Transformers are the bad guys/lets kill them" crossover *yawn*. Hope the Windbla... I mean "TAAO" book has it's collected volumes before and after this event have nothing to do with the event so I can completely ignore it.

As an aside, I MIGHT pick up that Rom/TF thing, because a Transfomer spaceknight could be cool if the design and transformation look good...

16. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

If you read mainstream corporate comics beyond Transformers, you probably already have event fatigue. Especially if you are/were a Marvel reader. They literally begin hyping their next "everything changes forever" event before their current "everything changes forever" event has time to finish. With new first issues relaunches now coming around twice a year. More than any other publisher today, they have ruined the good will fans once had about these sort of big events by belching them out once or twice a year for a decade.

Any scepticism about a second Hasbro IDW event is both expected and reasonable. It smacks if everything that is wrong with corporate owned funny books these days.

Ask anyone what the best comics are today. I guarantee you, few will pick a series that is roped into crossover events once or twice a year. It will be the series that manage to be completely self contained and don't have their ongoing narratives interrupted every few months by editorial mandate.

IDW has a rather poor track record with its Hasbro line. They need to rethink how invasive this Hasbro universe will be before their only cash cow, Transformers, is damaged.

Outside of ARAH, GI Joe has been a complete Charlie Foxtrot. Mask is already cancelled. Action Man was a bust. Revolutionaries has been axed. Micronauts and ROM are next to go. Don't think GI Joe will last long either.

Frankly, outside of MTMTE / Lost Light, IDW hasn't had a good track record of making Transformers worth reading either. It's just a smudge better than the Dreamwave muck. And with their pay scale, they're not exactly going to draw top talent to their licensed books.

• Like Like x 2
  17. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Great. Another crossover. Yay.
    I hope this doesn't continue to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Loving all of these crossover events to promote toys that don't even exist.

Dark Cybertron, Titans Return, those were bad but at least the toys they were promoting actually existed. You can't go to the store and buy a MASK toy. You can't even buy GI Joe anymore. What's the point of all of these promotional crossovers with nothing to promote?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

Considering the creative team and the fact that I want IDW to know that I really want the forced crossovers to stop, I think this event is a good jumping off point. Looks like Lost Light will not be affected by this, so I'll keep on buying that title. I just hope the art there will improve in such a way that the Transformers won't all look like children...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Space Knight

News Credits:
    It's almost like IDW decided to make these comics to actually tell stories rather than simply promote toys.

Oh wait, they did.

• Like Like x 2