"FIRST STRIKE" - Next IDW Hasbro Event Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Danny-Boy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    EXCLUSIVE: Hasbro Crossover First Strike Aims to 'Destroy all the Transformers'

So apparently the next Hasbro event will NOT be Insurgency like we thought. The actual title is "First Strike," written by Mairghread Scott and David Rodriguez, with art by Max Dunbar.

The series will feature Optimus Prime's forces on Earth teaming up with G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K. to stop Baron Ironblood and his newly reformed Cobra from destroying all Cybertronians on Earth.

• Like Like x 2
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

God IDW is doing the EXACT thing I was hoping it would avoid...the Marvelisation of the books with a new even every year....uuuuuurgh.

But eh the writing crew is decent, Major Ironblood as a villain is fun, and the artists' portfolio seems pretty damn good so it might not be horrible....might

• Like Like x 8
  3. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I will give IDW credit with the double-shipping events, which can help stave off event fatigue. The fact that Revolution and First Strike ship issues twice monthly in the span of 3 months gives the creative team enough pages to tell a story without letting it drag on for half a year.

4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    EXCLUSIVE: Hasbro Crossover First Strike Aims to 'Destroy all the Transformers'

‘First Strike’ is a fast-paced, hard-hitting, and deeply personal character story set against the backdrop of intergalactic war with all the giant robots, cyborg ninjas, and massive explosions you could ask for.”

“What, if anything, can one man do to save his planet? What depths will he go to in order to save mankind? How do you destroy all the Transformers?”

As a TF fan this makes me sad. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  5. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

Yeah but IDW isn't reliable with their release schedule it's all over the place and entire issues and series are lagging for months now, that makes events even worse.

Plus personally I loathed Revolution, despite enjoying the individual books separately (mosly Micronauts and ROM) and despite thinking that Revolutionaries are hilariously amazing.

With the announcement of Stardiver I though that IDW would do the sane thing and just let all the books to organically exist in a shared universe and that crossovers would be handled in seperate mini series but it looks like we're going to have events and more events and more events every year. And as a Marvel fan the mere word "event" makes my eyes twitch.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Even if they're going to start calling themselves Cobra, it's bonkers that the Red Shadows are the lead villains for big comic event from a major American publisher.

I enjoyed Revolution, so I'm looking forward to this. Neat that they're giving a different creative team the reins for this one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can we stop with the overreacting? It's been what 8 months since Revolution and little has been changed in the TF books.

That's the safest way to do crossover, becusce fans can just ignore it ever happened becusce the characters in it (Rom, Starscream, possibly Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus), didn't meet in Revolution and Rom's thoughts on Cybertronians is the same as the rest of the universe.

Plus if they keep all the crossovers in flashback stories than what would have been the point of doing Revolution and it's not like the characters haven't continued appearing in each others comics post Revolution.

Well the Red Shadows are the remnants of the Arashikage clan, so they're basically Cobra's Red Ninjas.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

So much catching up to do!

• Like Like x 1
  9. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess this is it. Dropped permanently. Was fun while it lasted IDW!

• Like Like x 2
  10. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Turbomaster

I really don't see what's worth overreacting to this about. This crossover seems like a pretty natural development of where the stories in the various comics have been going, and it doesn't seem too crazy or over the top. And it's not like every single franchise is getting involved like Revolution, it's just Transformers and GI Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Megastar

News Credits:
    I really don't understand this mindset. The first and second issues sounds like the basic plot of OP, but with G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K (which are an G.I.Joe subteam), the Red Shadows (the Arashikage ninja clan), and Cobra appearing which we all know was going to happen.

• Like Like x 6
  12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    How is he overreacting? 8 months is less than a year. He doesn't want a crossover every year. A lot of us don't want a crossover every year.

And double-shipping? The characters are robots, but the creative team aren't. Every time Marvel plays with double-shipping, the quality dips. EVERY TIME. And IDW is no Marvel.

He means the Red Shadows were originally created for a competing toyline and first used in comics in the UK precursor to GI Joe back in the 1980s.

• Like Like x 2
  13. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I'm gonna read so GI Joe comics I'll go read the 80s stuff, which I haven't done before, but have heard it's pretty damn great. I'm not an 80s kid, and I'm not interested in being force-fed nostalgia for stuff that basically didn't exist after the 80s.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. Megastar

News Credits:
    It's overeating becusce people are acting like this is gonna ruin of the TF comics when the first two issues basically tell the same plot as an OP comic. IDW hasn't said we're getting "crossover every year" and if we were than I wouldn't have a problem with it, becusce they've been fast paced. Than just don't read the crossovers, people make it seem like they're forced to by them to know what's happening in their favorite comics when nothing has really changed.

DC does double-shipping with Rebirth and haven't had any problems keeping up and to be honest IDW has problems shiping their own monthly titles, how many times was MtMte and SotW delayed and there wasn't a event happening?

The Red Shadows have been appearing in Joe comics for awhile now in the Real American Hero comics so it's not that surprising seeing them here.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I think Jala was more saying it in a "man, can you believe we're getting these relatively obscure villains as the main baddies instead of the typical villains" way.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Old Bot

News Credits:
    So basically G.i. Joe and Transformers right? Just keeping the title simple.

Btw, where's Barber? I was expecting him to write the next crossover since I enjoy his writing. Hopefully Scott will do a good job.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, this seems to primarily be an OP/TAAO/G.I. Joe/Revolutionaries crossover, with Rom and MASK poking their heads in to say hi.

Like Revolution, I feel like the story being told here flows pretty naturally out of the stuff going on in the other books. I mean, OP already has G.I. Joe involved in Prime's affairs, and "Earth's going to join the Council of Worlds but some people are angry about it" is an ongoing plot thread. And Council stuff was always going to necessitate some involvement from TAAO's cast, since that's where all the delegates are.

This is a story that was going to be told regardless, whether it was in the pages of OP or spun out into its own mini-series.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's times like this I'm glad I only read MTMTE/Lost Light/whatever they change the title to next.

As long as they let Roberts finish his story with minimal interference, I don't care what they do with the rest of their universe.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    at least they arent fucking up Roberts' book with this event.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Megastar

News Credits:
    I don't get this fear fans have of Lost Light being affected by the crossovers or events when the ship is on the other side of the galaxy and team Rodimus is in another universe.

Unicorn could show up in TaaO or OP and do some major damage and Lost Light wouldn't be affected.

• Like Like x 2