First Strike #2 full preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    Horrible...

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish IDW had enough confidence in its audience that it didn't feel compelled to reintroduce characters pretty much every issue.

4. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    The name captions don't really harm anything, do they? Although I am sad that First Strike hasn't really been using them to make jokes like Revolution and Revolutionaries.

I'm really enjoying First Strike so far. I'm glad, just for the sake of variety, that it's got a totally different creative team to Revolution, and having an actual "main character" in the form of Scarlett is a really nice idea. Revolution was a heavily plot-driven story, so it's nice to have a more character-driven one now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    well it's better than revolution was, so far at least.
    I still dont care about GIJOE and cancelling TAAO makes me hate Joe even more.

6. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    First Strike (and the shared universe in general) has absolutely nothing to do with TAAO's cancellation, if you'd actually read Scott's blog post.

IDW weren't happy with TAAO's sales and told Scott she could either do a soft-reboot/shake-up after First Strike (like the Rom and Joe books are doing) or end the series with an Annual. Scott chose the latter.

So unless you're suggesting that TAAO's sales figures were poor because people were buying G.I. Joe instead...?

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Revolution, and forcing in all of the non-transformers crap into idw's tf universe was a massive dropping off point for a lot of readers.

8. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Revolution had basically no effect on TAAO's sales figure trend:

[​IMG]

EDIT: And while I'm at it, the renumbering of MTMTE and ex-RID didn't have a particularly huge effect either. They pretty much just continued the same downward trends they were already on, which I'm sure isn't what IDW hoped for, but they didn't make anything especially worse. (Comichron had bad/missing data for some issues around the transition, presumably due to shipping weirdness.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

One of the things I gotta admit I like about IDW is that the Transformers in general are seen as a \"bad guy race\" by the galaxy, but we the audience know that\'s not completely true. On one hand we see them as relatable characters with personalities, but everyone else sees them as monsters.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    Don't even bother man. He just jumps boards and sites with the same posts and complaints every time there's IDW news.

11. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I'm more curious about the sudden spike in sales for RID #33 than anything else.

12. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Sarah Stone art!

The dip at #31 is more curious - it could just be bad data.

13. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    It's rather sad really. Their just trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild what they've lost after millions of years of suffering through war.

And here they are, trying to do some good, at their meet with bias(but partially justified) hate. Not many people are willing to listen to what it was like for them, from their point of view.

14. onefromthedark

onefromthedark Target Master

i think these joe redisigns are terrible. lady jaye looks like shes in her pajamas.

15. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's just a broken record at this point.

16. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    not every time. i still enjoy Optimus Prime and Lost Light. ( i also enjoy Revolutionaries and Rom vs TF Shining Armor, as I feel those titles are the way crossovers should be handled)

typically i only really have 2 complaints with idw
    1: they keep using Livio Ramondelli when they have a multitude of artists with actual talent
    2: the recent trend of interrupting solid ongoing narratives for these crossover events. shit like this is why I (and a multitude of others) avoid reading books published by Marvel and DC.

and on a semi-related note, i'm sick of it always being Mairghred Scott's books that keep getting gut-punched by these events. she writes amazing, slow burn stories with big plots, but still retain great character moments and motivations. but nobody ever gets a chance to realize this because her books keep getting stomped on before they can finish.

17. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Okay, so yeah, you clearly just aren't reading anything anyone says. As I said above, TAAO got cancelled because of IDW being unhappy with its sales figures, not because of First Strike. In a universe where TAAO sold better, it would be continuing on as normal after the event finished (it probably wouldn't have continued alongside it like Optimus Prime is, considering Scott's involvement).

And get out ahead of you, Mairghread Scott has described co-writing First Strike as a dream job, because she's been a huge fan of Scarlett since she was kid. She's not, like, doing it begrudgingly or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    She also chose to not continue it. She was asked if she would like to go with a different direction after first strike to boost the sales going down and said she'd rather end it and they said okay. Marvel and DC would have just hired a new writer and continued. it happens all the time but they decided ending it is just fine.

its all in her Blog when she announced it was ending at #12 months ago but whatever I'm sure there's about 8 more news posts for IDW and SG will still post the same posts about how IDW robbed th fandom of TAAO and screwed mairghread Scott even thought she's still writing comics by her choice

19. Flashformers

Flashformers Will draw for Grand Galvatron

Can I be the first to say that I love Colton\'s monologue? It\'s nice to see humans fighting against the Transformers, but actually levelling the playing field, even if it takes scifi mumbojumbo.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking like a lot of fun. Hope we get to actually see Windblade duel Stormshadow at some point.