Minor/Repaint: First step in repainting Tfs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Skywave, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Hi everyone. I finished a few day ago one of my first Tfs repaint ever. In fact I made 2. While there's nothing new about them since they've probably been done to death already, I still wanted to show them!

My first 2 repaints are movie Jazz (basically only repainting the car part silver since the gray-ish plastic look horrible), and Classics Thundercracker (because I don't have 150$+ to spend on a 15$ figure :D )

In fact I started them a while ago, and Jazz was finished not far after that, but I had some trouble to find the right paint for TC to finish him off, and only get hold of it recently. He's still not really done, since I haven't found a good red to make his wings deco, but he's finished enough to show pics!

On with the pics :

Car mode
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Robot Mode ( I painted the hip pieces and the crotch silver, but due to the flash we don't see them that well)
    [​IMG]

Transform and breakdance!
    [​IMG]

Thundercracker
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thundercracker is a bit bland in jet mode, but as I said, I still have to get some red to finish his deco (no idea when that'll be though), and I'll probably mix red with some more silver too (won't be a G1 deco, since it's 'classics TC" , not "G1 TC" :p  )

While making them, I discovered that taking apart Tfs is a pain! I hate those pins, especially putting them back after everything is painted :redface2:  Also taping pieces before spary-painting is way longer that I though, it took me like a day to prep Jazz ( I was taking my time and all, but still).

Now that I've tried my hands at repainting, I'm even more amazed at the awesome stuff I see here regulary! It took me a fair bits of work to do these simple repaint, but it was enjoyable :) 

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow! Excellent work! Dont you hate it when Thundercracker was an exclusive and you have to shell-out huge amounts of money just to get it? Those @#$$%/.

I hope I can learn how to repaint my toys too.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These are great, the plastic on jazz really did suck hard.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Smooth. I mean, like really, REALLY smooth. So many folks have gone the way of beat-up looking repaints lately it's nice to just see smooth, clean paint on some repaints.

Oh, and as someone who really has a hard time getting metallics to come out without bad orange peel problems, let me say good job on keeping those paint jobs glass-like. That's not as easy as it seems it should be.

5. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Thanks for the kind words :)  I don't "hate" them for Thundercracker being a exclusive, since I understand why they made it that way in the first place. It just suck that it happened on such a character.

And I agree with you Night Flame, making something smooth is tricky. But I must say that there's a few place on Thundercracker that aren't as smooth as I would like (I might be too perfectionist for this), and there's imperfection here and there, but it's stuff you see only on close inspection, so it's not all that bad in the end. I've found that make a good full layer first work best than a few light layers. It helped making stuff turning smooth for me.

6. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't spell PAIN without PIN. Sorry. But I'm with you on taking them apart. So I don't anymore. I leave the pinned parts in and just take my time. But then again, I don't spraypaint them anymore.

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Nice job Skywave.

If you don't take them apart and use spraypaint, what do you use DeliciousPeter? I have an extra Classics Screamer I bought in the hopes of making him into TCracker, but having never kitbashed before I'm afaid I'll break it or something or never get it back together after I paint it. If you have an alternative to taking them apart I'd love to hear it.

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    How did you take the pins out? I also want to make a jazz repaint, great work on yours!

9. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I'll second that. I was taking a pin out of my custom Motormaster with a scratch awl and shoved the pin thru my thumb... :(