Customs: First REAL Custom-Classics CJ

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Torque, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Due to me being unable/unwilling to go out and find a real Classics CJ, I'm planning on turning my 3-Pack Classics BB into CJ because then I won't need to worry about the stick paint anymore, and the new Gen. BB will be my Bumblebee

Only thing is, I've only done a few small things-like adding black to Animated BB's arms (along with the mod for the stingers) and finishing the black stripe on Voyager Bulkhead. I've also changed out the piece between Skywarp's head and nosecone. But that's it. Never done a full repaint.

So any advice? What kinds of paint works best, what I can use to remove the current paint-any and all advice is gladly welcome. Same for advice about the head, cause I'm not sure if i want to use the one already there, or the one from WFC CJ, or is there one to buy?

Or should I kust keep using WFC CJ as my stand-in and call it a day? Little nervous, would hate to mess up horribly. Any advice guys?

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    any advice would be highly appreciated ^^

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    repaint the rts bumblebee if you must. I'd keep the original classic.

Also there is a KO cliffjumper.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    its not the original, its the one that came with Animated and Premium BBs with the reeeally sticky paint

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

^ I've never had a problem with that paint.

Id look into that new cliffjumper "Devil Horns" kit. i bought it becasue I wanted CJ to be different than BB, and I wasn't patient enough to make my own. the head is 100% what I would want, but it may be alright for what you want. i like his guns it comes with, just wish they were in black. Again, personal preference.

As far as paint, i'm probably not the best person for advice since my repainting toys is limited. however, there are some questions to ask.
    Do you have a airbrush? Were you planning on hand painting it? Do you have a space that you can rattle can (spray paint) it? An apartment isn't a good place, so like a garage or something.
    Are you going to play with it alot, or is more of a display piece for your collection?

Randy!

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I was planning on just spraypainting it, I have the room for it. He would mostly stay on the shelf, I would think, but I may give in to the temptation to fiddle with him now and again.

7. Bigbot3030

I just did a search in the tutorial section, and there are alot there that would get you going.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214534-tips-repainting-figures.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214542-stripping-removing-paint.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/213294-jins-transformers-painting-guide.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutor...-prevent-flaking-paint-when-transforming.html

The tutorials may not be 100% of what you are looking for, but I would always check it out before asking questions. You may find something that just about describes what you are looking for, but need someone to elaborate on it.

In case you don't know where to go, it's in Radicons/tutorials and how tos/ table of contents. Good luck!

Randy!

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I'd tried looking there, my eyes started to hurt-though it was late when i posted this thread lol.

Thanks, Some of that helps, though other parts are a bit confusing. Should help alot ^_^

9. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep read the tutorials and most of all take your time!

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    take my time, patience-not my strongest point, but i'll try it lol

and the sticky paint is the yellow on his chest-its rather... gummy.

11. Bigbot3030

I would just try using alcohol and rubbing to get that stuff off. it seems like it's never cured properly (maybe something on the surface before paint was applied) so it should be easier to take off. avoid the harsher chemicals like thinner for now. see how much you can do with alcohol (even bumping it up to the 90% stuff)

For painting, your going to have to learn patience. Just becasue you can touch the paint doesnt' mean it's 100% cured. Read the instructions for the paint, and do it exactly like it says the first time around. I've seen alot of people cut corners, and then say the paint is crap when it doesn't work well.

Randy!

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    good to know-thanks man! anyone know what kind of red matches WFC CJ? dont really want to repaint the head

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy Krylon fusion red.

Fix mistakes by using easy off fume free oven cleaner.

easy peasy