First Masterpiece TF: Roddy or Skywarp?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ex dtw2003, Aug 9, 2011.

?

Masterpiece: US Roddy or US Skywarp

Poll closed Aug 29, 2011.
  1. US Rodimus Prime

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. US Skywarp

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just like the title of the thread, I've decided to make the leap to getting a Masterpiece for Christmas.

All the talk of Roddy on these boards convinced me to get him - then I started searching all the entire MP series. And as much as I would love them all (especially a pre-order for MP-10), I really can't afford to drop that much on a TF. (Ok, I can, it's just that I'm not comfortable with it - yet.)

So, back to the choices. During my research I came across the fact that I can basically grab US Skywap for the same price as US Roddy. The dilemma, I love the seeker style but am not sure about black and purple. Love the red/orange of Roddy but was never a huge fan of the character.

So which is the better mold? Coolest play features? Best to display?

Thanks again and other options are also welcome.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You can grab a Skywarp for 30$

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Well, if you don't like Rodimus's character, then I say you should just get Skywarp, especially if you like the Seeker mold's style.

4. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Please let me know where this can be done and it is basically a done deal. Might even grab Roddy as well at that price, lol.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    In the last couple of months, there have been ebay BiN and on B/S/T threads selling skywarp for about 30$ shipped (some were 30 + shipping, or 35$ shipped).

I browse BST a lot, but I don't hunt and I don't collect MP. You gotta do your own search =)

6. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Fair enough and will do. Thanks.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP Hot Rod at $60 if you can find it at retail right now since his price will only go up.

MP Skywarp later as his price is more stable and there's more out there.

If you ONLY have $60 and definitely had to choose only ONE MP I'd go with Skywarp and pocket the $30 difference. Actually, I lie, I'd buy the Hot Rod for $60, sell him for $100-$120, turn around and buy a MP Starscream and then pocket the $30 difference.

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP Rodimus only because his availability is very unclear. He may or may not be available at a reasonable price down the road. We know there are tons ok US MP Skywarp out there. If you can get him at $30 now, you'll probably be able to get him for $30 in a year.

That being said, I do like the seeker mold a bit more (although greenscream is my favorite version).

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rodimus, because you can buy him at retail.

10. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I will list the ones I have and which are my faves,if you want some advice on which to get.Here goes.

1. MP-08 Grimlock by far the best MP ever,he is the meaning of "PERFECTION",hands down I would get him if I were you.

2.MP Walmart Starscream he is the next best but has minor problems like panel lining and the hip kibble,tho I did mod mine and now they are back on his legs where they belong.I recommend him if you can find him for $50-$75.

3.MP Hasbro Skywarp,same as Scream but he is way easier to find than him.

4.MP DVD Optimus Prime he is a great piece but like old people in nursing homes Prime suffers greatly from knee and leg problems,the legs don't lock into place when extended.

5.MP-09 Rodimus Prime or Convoy,pretty much the same as Hasbro's but slightly different colors,now he has a lot of problems but when everything is back together somewhat he is a very nice piece,but parts do tend to pop off and not line up all that good.Still a good MP to own but only as a display figure.

PS.
    I don't know what Takara did when they made MP Grimlock but I swear that thing was built more like an action figure and I have yet to see any chrome flaking or cracking,he was the best figure ever made I think,and I would seriously consider getting him instead.

Edit: A lot of people are telling you to get Roddy but I gotta say with all the problems MP Roddy has I would wait if I was you,this one isn't going to go up in price especially since we know TAKTOM is releasing a new version this fall with the problems fixed,so I say go for Skywarp,you will like him a lot more than Roddy.

11. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Rodimus is a better choice for display, he's a bit more vanilla. If you get Skywarp, you'll probably end up wanting the other two seekers, so Roddy is less of a commitment.

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I know this wasnt on your list, but I would first go to the BST thread and post in the stickied MP Grimmy want thread. Apparently people are still finding a few of them at retail. He would be the best bet. As others have said, MP Skywarp can still be found really cheap if you look around, but they are starting to creep up a little bit, but I would probably still grab Roddy before him.

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While Grimlock is an awesome figure he's really just an oversized, oversized deluxe. I would recommend him but not as your first MP, especially if you can't find him at retail cost.

Counterargument: TRU Hot Rod right now retails for $60 and includes offshoot and the large matrix but no trailer. Takara MP Rodimus retails for $200, includes the trailer but no offshoot. That huge price difference is why everyone is saying get Hot Rod now if you can find him at retail.

Will Takara ever release offshoot? Most likely, but it'll cost you and the targetmaster + trailer + better paint job does not justify the $140+ difference in price.

14. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Really appreciating all the opinions on this guys. Thanks.

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Have you ruled out MP Grimlock?

I might have suggested Skywarp on the basis that it was cheaper than Hasbro Rodimus last i looked..so it's an easier start, in a sense.

I might also suggest that Rodimus is,somehow, the weakest mold of the lot so far. It just doesn't feel as complete as some of the others.

The downside however is that if you take to the Seeker mold....you may be hankering after MP Thundercracker. No Hasbro version as yet. Takara version is pushing $300 these days...and they didn't even assemble it with the air intakes the right way round.

Which brings me to another point: As far as Takara are concerned, the line is a cash cow. They'll usually release a new mold before Hasbro. Charge much more for it, and there's no guarantee that the QC on the Hasbro version won't actually be better, even if the deco on the Hasbro version is more cost effective.

On top of that they'll potentially release desirable repaints that Hasbro might not.

So in short, collecting Masterpieces can be kind of pricey, and sometimes frustrating to boot.

16. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    Depending on if you are a seeker guy or a car guy is really the answer here. Personally I love Hot Rod/Roddy more than the seekers, and I own a seeker as well. Still the seekers definatley arent bad, just a much different beast, i.e. plane alt mode vs car alt mode. Both are engineered fantastically and look great. I will say hotrod looks excellent on a desk to show off though as it a car you dont see every day.

17. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

Skywarp was my only seeker back in the day.I have always dug his color scheme.

18. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

For display, Roddy would be my choice because of its colorful figure. For playability, US Skywarp would be a better choice. For its values, neither. Collecting toys is for enjoyment, and not for retirement investment.

19. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not looking at this being an investment. I want to play with these, i.e. pose and transform them.