First look at MPM Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Ra88, Feb 28, 2017.

1. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL yeah.

Actually the MP10 trailer is too big for MPM4, on trucks the trailer should be slightly narrower than the truck's side (extended out) mirrors, as is the MP10 trailer is actually slightly wider than MPM04. Hell, even the UFO trailer is not as wide as the MP10 trailer.

Yeah, damn UFO trailer is now too big (and connector not compatible!! ggrrrrrr) GRRRRRR.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Shut your damn mouth.

News Credits:
    Yes, ad nauseam.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He'll be surprised, you'll be pissed, I'll be vindicated.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    And i'll be pleased.

5. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 MPM-5, take MPM-3 down a peg or 2.

News Credits:
    I'm watching chrome nail polish reviews in hopes of finding one to buy for MPM-4 if my wrap falls through. What has my life come to

send help

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I miss living there. Good times.

This is the first I have heard of there being a recall of any kind for MPM-4. If this is indeed true, what about online retailers who have or will have these in stock? Are they subject to the recall as well? How do we know (again, if true), if we will be receiving the corrected stock or are getting the old stock? Things are getting might shady lately with MPM-4. So much so that it's actually making me pretty upset because this is not like a $20 or $50 item here. This is at least $100 USD. I feel very bad for those who have already bought a copy of this Prime. That's not fair to them at all.

I really want an MPM-4 for myself as well. But now I'm extremely hesitant to do so because I don't know what is actually going on. Trying to separate fact from fiction is proving to be extremely difficult right now.

7. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

After much thought I've decided to return this to TRU tomorrow.

The tabbing issue plus missing paint apps are unacceptable to me. I may not be displaying it in alt mode but I can't let that slide. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for when the Takara version is released. Maybe I'll pick that version up if everything is fixed

8. KayODave

KayODave Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    And I'll have run out of patience by then.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I've had days and days of in person experience with this figure and I'm just brokenhearted.

We keep hearing rumors of broken molds, fixed Takara versions, even better KOs, swapping the roof pieces (mine are, of course, botched) fixed this and that, etc.

Here's the thing... You can excuse everything you want, but the fact of the matter is he's just badly designed. Straight up, yo.

They wanted him to do too much and tried to replicate a digital film model that even ILM claimed was a cheat in many, many ways, especially in terms of transformation.

You know why the ROTF mold, while imperfect, still holds up all this time? Because it's a toy first, movie toy second. They wanted to make an Optimus from the movie that could be played with, but still feasible and concessions had to be made.

Thing is, those concessions didn't fail the toy. He wasn't trying to be a Masterpiece, he was just trying to be a good toy and that's why he stands the test of time.

MPM4 will never be able to accomplish that. He was designed as a Masterpiece first, toy second, and that is why he fails.

Look at all of the expensive collectibles like Macross and Toynami Voltron. They're constantly plagued with issues throughout different iterations. And be serious for once, none of that "haha, it's Toynami, so of course it sucks!" stuff, I mean, really look at the issue.

You're going to say, even if it's to yourself, "Yeah, he's right. Crap."

When you try to take something that doesn't really exist and strive for perfection in something that can never be perfect, you're going to have a project end in disaster.

MPM4's transformation (if you're not worried about it all tabbing perfectly and just getting from point a to b) is easier than ROTF. ROTF had things moving in and out and around things to make its magic happen, which I always dread because those parts aren't designed for longevity, then. MPM4 doesn't do that. Outside of excessive parts and panels flipping around, he's pretty straightforward, which makes his plague level problems all the more painful and annoying. It means his point of failure was always at the design level. The broken mold simply exacerbated those issues and gave them an out. It doesn't explain why the front wheel well/fender pieces don't want to to tab in to the leg pieces. It doesn't explain why the legs don't want to slide all the way in to tab into the tail light section of the truck. Especially if the mold rumors are true and it was the upper chest section that broke.

MPM4 wins in terms of general transformation flow, looks in both modes (minus the gaps, of course) and absolutely kills it as a robot because it makes the movie model come to life in your hands. You can almost hear him say "My name is Optimus Prime!" That's amazing to me, but it doesn't detract from the ROTF mold. All it (ROTF) wanted to be was a toy, and it succeeded quite well in that regard.

One last thought. I mentioned Macross and Voltron, and I'll say this:

Sure, Masterpieces are pretty and try to give you the best visual representation possible, but in doing so, they lose some charm with the broken panels, plates, hinges, etc. G1 Jetfire might not be as pretty, but doggone it, he's a solid figure and gets the job done nicely. If it wasn't for that mold, we wouldn't have tried to best it. Legendary Defender Voltron isn't perfect and lacks some pretty important articulation, but it's a tech marvel, especially for the price. It literally knows when a lion is attached, tells you and asks for the next one by name and color. You know why it succeeded? Because it's an intelligent toy and it's fun. The smaller die-cast one is a nice nod to the past, no doubt, but it doesn't do anything better than its electronic counterpart, loses some of its luster and costs just as much. Why? It wants to be a collectible instead of a toy.

Seems we forgot, we collect toys.
    And that's why ROTF Optimus, while imperfect, will be the better of these two, always. He just wanted to be a toy for kids and kids at heart, and that's why he'll always be the true Movie Masterpiece in my collection.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  10. oku

oku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look at how many people still buy them. Some even buys two.

Parents disagree...

11. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually those two sentences contradict each other, it's straight forward which means the design is great. Things fall into place in a simple way and even the prototype looks all well and good.

Then things don't tab into place properly and pops out, tolerances are crap. That's the factory / QC level issue, nothing to do with the design. One thing that is true is that the design might have issue with the strength in certain pieces, but in most cases it's basically pieces are seemingly not molded properly with slight variances that ends up problematic in the final product due to all the precision needed. Think lego pieces that have a very very tight tolerance, if it's slightly out (I forget now many microns, but not milli, microns) and pieces won't fit or stay together.

The evidence is how the issues across figures are not consistent. If they are, a single mod would fix everyone's problems (that'd more likely be a design issue) but each figure seems to require a difference fix.

For example, I just realized after debugging my mpm4 my issue is with the arms (similar to wotafa's but testing pushing the arms together wouldn't fix it) as well as the top of windshield pieces (they actually don't sit flush when tapped into the top of the truck). I found out it's the middle "light" that is too thick and making the windshield warpped.. and I filed out slightly and finally the windshields can stay together.

After messing with my copy more to debug it, I'm even more convinced it's a factory issue. While the design might be improved to allow for higher tolerances, but the fact remain the factories didn't pass the tolerances needed for this figure.

• Like Like x 5
  12. artimus prime

artimus prime Collector of Multiple TF Lines

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't think that there's a recall on prime. Maybe a temporary stop sale. If he were recalled he'd have to be pulled and the registers would block his sale. A stop sale would happen if there's an issue that might lead to a recall but needs to be looked into more. These don't really happen with collector toys. More for young children and babies, and usually safety related. Prime doesn't fit the bill.
    I think several of you guys are drinking whatever koolaid (and they're serving the bad kind that needs more sugar) any TRU employee is serving.

• Like Like x 1
  13. George982

George982 Well-Known Member

I agree. I stated before that the more likely scenario is that they will let this ride out, and sell this first batch. I'm sure they are now aware of the issues people are having, whether they admit it or not. This happened with MP09 as well, which led them to do a second "fixed" run. I think that is the more likely case here.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I can't tell ya how many broken ROTF figures I've seen, missing pieces left right and center. He wasn't that great lol

• Like Like x 6
  15. George982

George982 Well-Known Member

I still have my original with the flip out blades, and he's still going strong. I'll never forget the day I bought him. I got home and took him out of the box and started trying to transform him into a truck. At the time it felt damn near impossible. I had the radio on while I was doing it, and just as I was ready to throw the thing against the wall, they announced Michael Jackson died. Suddenly I wasn't as frustrated with the figure after hearing that. This doesn't really have any bearing on transformers collecting, but is just a way for me to remember the day I bought him. Eventually I figured out the transformation, and never had a problem with him since.

• Like Like x 2
  16. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    He may be a little more toy like than this MPM (which is NOT made to be like a toy cause it's for adult collectors) but if you've ever looked at reviews by non-fans he's considered a complete and utter mess who has disappointed countless children just as you seem to be disappointed. Reviews say he's a half-transformed mess that got tossed aside because not even the kid's parent could transform him or make any sense of him, even with instructions.

TL; DR MPM seems to be disappointing to you in the same way that the original leader disappointed kids and parents.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  17. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

The use of one material or another is part of the design process. Materials must be able to support all stress applied.

Sorry, the design issue of the figure is totally disappointed and not aceptable.

Hasbro failed again with his low quality. The quality problem of the Transformers brand has many years and do not think it will find a solution. Just hope the brand can be handled by a better company in a future, but until that I will stay with old Transformers of old lines with better quality, before the cheap hollow plastic syndrome, and KO and 3P products with better quality.

18. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, that was fast.
    20729463_503632243320541_616075383274166775_n.jpg 20746272_503632289987203_8902656211341726008_o.jpg 20746403_503632239987208_1115914859272728967_o.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Ironically, the ROTF leader has more hollow parts than the mpm.

• Like Like x 4
  20. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Some people are having trouble admitting that there is anything good about this figure. Yes there are a few (to me) minor things the original did better, but for what it's supposed to be, which is the most screen-accurate transforming Prime we've ever gotten, it's not even debatable that this is the king. In the bot mode looks department it is better than the original from EVERY angle. No question.

From the pics I've seen from some people they don't even realize how subtle the upgrades are. You can adjust the shoulder pads so that they are at an angle and much more screen accurate, but most people still leave them sticking straight up and down like the old leader. You can arrange the back kibble so that it looks way better than the official images. You can flip out the forearm kibble so that it's beefier looking and more accurate.

• Like Like x 6