First look at Combiner Wars Ironhide?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by scubaboy31, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always assumed the 'masquerade' Autobots would turn out retools of the other characters, and thus not really accurate representations.

Totally fine with me. Will still probably pick up Prowl and Mirage if they look good - don't own the Classics versions. Don't really need a Sunstreaker or Ironhide but I'll still await some proper product pictures before judging. :thumb 

2. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics has had inappropriate repaints, double characters and "half-homages and spliced characters" in every line since at least Universe 2.

It's a toyline with collectors in mind that they still want kids to buy, that means some spoiled homages here and there.

3. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    These are some entertaining posts.

4. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    You mistakenly assume that Fan and Purist are the same thing. I am a G1 fan, born in the early 80's.

I am not a G1 purist. And a more visually diverse combiner is better, in my opinion. Hence, all of the changes have been right up my alley so far.

5. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    Anything beats Classics Ironhide. That mold is grade A garbage.

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Until Slingshot arrives in stores.

7. TFcustoms91

TFcustoms91 Well-Known Member

I agree Offroad replacing a stunticon and being repainted into Ironhide with just a new head is the terrible icing on the terrible cake the Universe and henkei Ironhide looks far superior to Offroad at least they could do is make Offroad look more like Ironhide the only reason why Hasbro is making recolors and retools is because they are to cheap and lazy to make new figures i am so glad we are getting Slingshot and Wildrider they will be recolors but they will look way better than Alpha Bravo and Offroad.

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, looking forward to when Slingshot hits;
    Gotta dump Alpha Bravo and put a real Aerialbot in its place.

9. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i'm as big a Classics fan as anyone, but the Universe 2.0 Ironhide mold is pretty rough (i actually passed on it after picking up Ratchet.) Between the puzzle-piece looking vehicle mode, hunch back and shoe gazer head, just couldn't do it.

Really, you just need to think of this "Masquerade" Combiner as a fun homage using characters with appropriate vehicle modes (much like the episode), and little more. Ignore it or buy it, I don't think it's really worth criticizing. they are just trying to do something fun.

I don't know if i'll buy it. I'm probably at least get Ironhide since he hasn't had a good representation yet.

The economic reality is it costs them A LOT to make a TF mold, so there will almost always be a remold and a redeco. Overall, they've been pretty fun and creative, and i'm just happy we are getting new heads planned in these days, i hated how back in the A/E/C days they just did straight recolors.

...and really, the remolds they are doing are pretty astonishing: Cyclonus, First Aid, Streetwise, Motormaster ~ the amount of new parts is fantastic.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Probably the one "Masquerade" figure, aside from Rodimus and Mirage that I´ll pick up from that wave.

11. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

12. shellformer

shellformer @

... Then why did you buy the helicopter?

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:

14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    In all honesty, I thought I could buy it and an extra jet to mod into Slingshot.

But then I read that Slingshot was on its way. So I took the cheap and laz-er, I mean patient rout.

However, I almost decided to scrap any plans I ever had for Superion due to my dissapointment over their builds (jets with exposed arms, fet molded into the jets tail and not separate). But I decided to follow through. Glad too, because Superion is impressive.

Yes, I might have 2 of one character and a helicopter, but at least there's no racecar involved.

15. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Can't wait to have the option buy a deluxe Ironhide that isn't a piece of crap. :D 

16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for MP

17. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

I prefer Slingshot myself to Alpha Bravo for the sake of the original Combiner which has not gotten an iteration like this since the 80's, Slingshot is only fair to those of us who have waited for a true to G1 style combiner and not that Energon Maximus combiner or Power Core Combiner bullshit or the FOC Bruticus attempt. These combiners may be IDW based on the Hasbro side, but getting a Slingshot shouldn't be a pipe dream for those G1 fans who've waited 30 years.

That all said, Alpha Bravo is a nice figure in his own right, and I like him, plus he makes a damn good looking arm. If Hasbro never releases Slingshot, I'll either make a custom Slingshot from Fireflight (fly) or just live with AB....reluctantly. I already have the Wave One Aerialbots, TT may have a more accurate to G1 Superion, but I'm not much on double dipping. But even that could change if I like the gift set box enough and have room for it.

18. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Which is what I was saying would be the motivation for a swap out, scale.

That I could see. Give Blast Off a UAV(more like Swerve's targetmaster and not so much Prime Soundwave) alt so he can actually create an updated version of the G1 chest plate.

That could be interesting. Wings and tail section become jet pack for Bruticus while the main body becomes the arm. Since you mentioned Bruticus's origins, I also wouldn't mind seeing a WWII version of him. Something along the lines of Hearts of Steel.

19. Maximus Alpha

Maximus Alpha Biggest Strongarm Fangirl

I was referring to Offroad replacing Wildrider and Alpha Bravo replacing Slingshot. Not wave distributions.