First Image of Star Wars Transformers Star Destroyer/Clone Pilot Figure

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Sep 23, 2010.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Better than usual, actually. The robot proportions aren't bad, and the vehicle mode... well, it is what it is.

I've only bought a few SWTF's... always on sale, and always with plans to use them in some sort of kitbash. About half the time, I'm still disappointed with them, unlike the Marvel Crossovers, which once you get past the goofy idea, are actually mostly pretty sweet TF molds.

One of the only things I can say about SWTFs, and this is possibly why Star Wars fans keep buying them, is that they generally look pretty decent in vehicle mode (and are packaged that way). I think the main buyers for these are NOT TF fans particularly, but Star Wars fans... so basically they are reproductions of iconic Star Wars ships, with an added fun gimmick.

I still think they're pretty awful in robot mode, but to be fair, Star Wars droid aesthetics are pretty far from Transformers, so perhaps it can just be said that they're staying consistent with their genre.

zmog

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I wonder how long it will take before a radicon will bash this into Space-ball 1/Mega-maid :lolol 

As for SWTFs in general, I have two. The first General Grievous (wanted the light sabers for my Alts at the time, plus the line was just coming out) and the Han/Chewy millennium falcon set. (a really nice toy, esp on clearance for 50+% off).

Otherwise I have no interest in the line, as I just don't like the designs compared to the main TF lines. Not to mention I don't have the room for them even if I did.

3. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty true, I don't mind a half decent Venator-Class Star Destroyer for example, if they cost only $15 compared to the full-fledged sets. Sure the Hasbro sets are nicer, but I'm not that big a fan to want to shell out on those when I can spend them on Transformers, and since these figures are cheaper than those, and have the added icing of being a Transformer, why not?

Well, I'm sure if you go around talking like this, you're bound to get some backlash. Who's doing the condemning here?

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never had the desire to buy one of these before (well, a slight one for the Death Star).

But this looks pretty cool. I'm a sucker for Star Wars capital ships. Granted, it is inexcusably inaccurate for a non-transforming toy, but considering the size and pricepoint it looks pretty good for a transforming one.

Plus, the implied scale on the trooper-mode boggles me a bit. :D 

5. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i really don't care much for these guys but
    i'm just wondering how much longer until a repaint or complete re tool of this as the empire colors

6. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You know what guys? The crossover line probably sells more than the combined spending of adult TF collectors. And I'm talking about new domestic purchases. Kids don't give a damn about articulation or detail. They look at the toys as characters and is powered by imagination.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    The skeptic in me thinks that Hasbro use this line as a way to get Star Wars fans into TFs.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Ugh. Aren't you a little fat for a stormtrooper?

9. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like em, but Im a Star Wars fan lol.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I would just like to point out that Crossovers have been on the shelves for about four years uninterrupted. They're still around because they sell.

11. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure what that has to do with being skeptical. It's almost certainly one of the hoped-for results of the line.

Is something wrong with that?

12. iamdarthyoshi

iamdarthyoshi This is where the fun begins

As a Star Wars fan, I could care less about the robot mode. It's a fun gimmick, but the way I see it, SW TFs have always been about the vehicle modes. It was even better when they used to come packaged with the mini figures; very similar to the Action Fleet series from the 90's. Such a shame that they no longer make them.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss the mini figures, too, but I've bought...all of them, I think, except the newest Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter. I am impressed that they've been putting these things out since '05. I'm still waiting for more original trilogy toys, though, even if Clone Wars is the in-thing right now. They're not interested in going too retro, though. As for this one, it fits in well with the other clone troopers they've done. Might've fun to see this in a much larger scale, though.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Looks like a squatty little turd in both modes. Shame, as I was looking forward to a Star Destroyer.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was looking at the crossovers Archive on the board recently but before this newspost and this image was already there and I have to wonder if this was actually shown a long time ago and got forgotten about in the jumping up and down people were doing about actually liking SW:TF Yoda for his sheer insanity.

I also noticed that despite it being out on shelves in America there is a lack of reviews of the Rebublic Repulsar Tank and only one image of it's robot mode.

---

As to who buy them - I do I like them a lot I've got 4 just recently :

Cad Bane - Xanadu's Blood (Green P-38 Starfighter),

Nice Battle staff option and since Cad like electricuting people and fighting jedi it even seems half sensible for him to have it, excellent head sculpt that looks just like the character, slight inaccuracies in the colors perhaps it might have benifited being a little more brown to improve the look of the robot at the expense of the starfighter a pretty sensible repaint over all though. Mine did have slightly floppy landing gear hatches though so I have to prop them under his landing gear struts in robot mode.

Obi Wan Kenobi-Jedi Starfighter (repaint),

The head is quite good it'd no where near as cartoony as it looks in the official photos the flat hands at first seems like an odd choice until you realise they can lay back down in vehicle mode and fill the underside gaps in more completely.

De to the lack of his jetpack though there's now nowhere to store the lightsaber in vehicle mode. even more silly when the robot mode is supposed to be Obi Wan wearing a space suit which is equipped with a flight pack on the cartoon.

Battledroid Commander - Tank (tan colour),

The mold does have a slight problem with the skirts looking a bit stupid and the arms do fall of a little and the backpack does not line up properly on the robots backside, but overall despite those quirks it's actually really cool and the tan one for me works even better than the blue one in color terms. The vehicle mode is almost faultless, and the droids provide something good for the Jedi to beat up on.

Imperial Navy Elite V-Wing (Imperial pilot).

This is currently my favorite one an interesting design it's like Darth Maul only better with it's Ar-wing like alt mode and the muted grey Imperial colors it just looks great in vehicle mode with very minimal robot parts visible even the chest underneath does not look out of place. th wings alone are hours of fun, it has a hidden feature of movable cockpit to free up the waist articulation more and really good joints none of which pop apart when looked at funny unlike say Captain Rex - AT:TE over all I'd not only say its one of the best Star Wars Transformers I've got it's one of the best Transformers of any sort I've bought in the last 18 months or more.

---

ONES TO AVOID : Darth Maul- Sith Interceptor, Emperor Shuttle (white), Captain Rex- ATTE, ATAT- Driver, Luke-X-wing, Darth Vader- X-1 Starfighter, any Episode 3 style jedi starfighters including Vader's one.

All of those are fine as vehicles but really substandard robots with pop apart pieces and serious design flaws.

ONES I'd RECOMMEND : Luke-Snowspeeder (just remember to extend the legs) superb vehicle mode with no robot kibble at all, Any Jedi 'Delta' Star Fighters especially episode 2 Obi Wan, Kit Fisto and Anakin. but all of them are good. The ARC-170's look cool and are wicked cool vehicles but are a little odd looking and static as robots but I do still like them.
    The Droid Tanks are good either colors, Captain Cody-Turbo Tank is neat a little compromised in his articulation due to the massive wheels but he looks damn menacing in robot mode and really cool as a vehicle too.

I can't comment on the V-19 Vigilance, Anakin-Twilight, Matchstick-Y-Wing, Anakin Y-Wing, Captain Rex Fresco Speeder, Yoda, ATAT-Trooper, Black shuttle Emperor, Plu Koon-Jedi Starfighter, Red V-Wing, Republic Repulsar Tank. as I've not been able to find any of those yet or have yet to buy them.

I'll leave the Darth Vader-Death Star & Millenium Falcon, and the Republic Gunships up to personal choice I'm not a huge fan of Vader as his backpack no staying up really irritates me, and the falcon is to tight to bother Transforming much so I tend to leave it as a vehicle. I can see they both have good and bad points though Vader looks quite good as a display piece though.

Both General Grevious toys are quite compromised but both are also pretty cool too so I'm happy to own them but they pop of limbs of the wheel bike or the excessive kibble on the starfighter might annoy some more than me.

I think many people seem to say mostly positive things about the matchstick Y-wing and about Yoda if you want to get one to try.
    Personally I tend to like the ones that turn into clone troopers as the have an innate robot look to them due to their helmets.

16. Emperor Zarak

Emperor Zarak Decepticon Emperor

News Credits:
    looks ok to me....Not great but ok

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks about par for the line-- pretty decent, but not spectacular.

FYI, I don't really follow Star Wars. At all. I've watched the movies once or twice each and that was enough for me. I have no idea what three-fourths of the vehicles in the line I buy are. I buy them because I like transforming toys and they're decent enough figures.

18. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

i don't understand why people collect these things. The proportions are shit, the robot modes don't hide much of the vehicle, and they are over priced. They are shelf warmers and they need to fucking die so Hasbro can put more effort into real tfs.

19. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Eh, definitely better than most of this line that has come out recently, but still not great. I got the Millenium Falcon/Han/Chewie and was fairly pleased. Got the Death Star/Darth Vader and was actually impressed ($16! One of my favorite Ebay wins to date). Then I got the Jedi Starfighter/Obi-Wan and wondered why...

Seems like they've all gone down hill from there. With this one looks like they're making some improvement, but they still have a way to go (and not many more iconic ships left) if they want this line to keep going.

20. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah that's not how it works at all. "Real" TFs are designed by Takara, who has nothing to do with these. There is unlikely to be a cause-and-effect relationship there.

In fact the brand as a whole may benefit from how successful this line is.