First "good" TV--questions about set-up, accessories

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bryan, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just picked up a TV--got a Samsung LCD (52", 240 Hz, 1080p) and a Blu-ray player to go along with it.

I know I need to get some good HDMI cables to connect the TV and the player. I figured on getting Monster, just waiting until I get the thing hung up on the wall to pick 'em up. I'm not getting separate speakers--I have a Bose Wave radio that I'm gonna use instead of the TV's shitty factory ones.

I'm pretty pumped about it, especially 'cause the Blu-ray player does Netflix Watch Instantly on my TV (I had NO idea TVs could connect to the internet now).

However comma I admit to finding the thing ridiculously complicated, so I was wondering two things.

1) Do I actually need to get it "calibrated" professionally? Or buy a calibration DVD? Or is the automatic settings usually good enough?

2) So I understand getting good cables for the picture. But to connect the Bose to the TV and/or player, do I need aftermarket cables to get the best sound or is the one that came with the radio good enough?

2. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

hey man, try getting hdmi cables off monoprice. monster cables are way expensive. as far as the cable to connect the tv to the bose, im assuming the bose has an optical input? if so, also get an optical cable off monoprice as it is much cheaper. hope this helps.

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Monster Cables are a rip off. Go to WalMart and get some 6 foot HDMI cables for $6.00. Or you could get them online but have too wait for them to be deliverd. I just orderd a 52" Sony Bravia LCD with Internet Connection on Friday. It will be here Thursday or Friday of this week. So I know the feeling somewhat as I will be really excited when it arrives.

EDIT: As for Calibrating. My PC will be hooked into my TV and I have a Calibration site I use to adjust the TV. Go to AVS.com

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

1. I wouldn't. You can generally do a good enough job on your own. What I generally do is if I have a movie I have a fairly good memory of I put that movie in to play with the color any everything. Then you can grab just about any Disney/Pixar Bluray and just run through the set up that they have on the disc.

2. You dont need "good" cables with HDMI. A $10 HDMI cable works just as well as a $100 HDMI cable. With audio its your choice, but you should be good with whatever cable came with the speaker.

5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart doesn't carry the cheap HDMI cables. The lowest price they have is like $24.

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I purchase 2 last week. So yes they have them.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Monoprice looks like it's shut down at the moment, but I'll check it out when I'm ready--thanks!

And the Bose doesn't have an optical input...just I think what's called an auxiliary input?

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

for audio cables you want an optical (fiber optic) cable, and a cheap hdmi cable is as good as an expensive one. head over to amazon--I got the hdmi shipped for $3.25, and 3 fiber optic cables for $9 shipped.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For HDMI cables, what you effectively paying for with the higher price is build quality, and thats about it.

As to TV settings, I'd suggest going to Google and typing your TV model and then 'picture settings' into the search engine.

I did this for my TV, and found some settings (through AV forums) which have made my TV look much more natural and not as super saturated/super contrasty which is what I thought it should look like.

It even had different setting depending on the signal going through. So yeah, Google.