First Elvin Pena, then the Hartmans, then me?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightscream, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    yeah I'm scaling back the collection too...

Me and my wife don't make as much money as we would like right now (I'm unemployed), and we have a lot of expenses: my driver's license (costs 4k in Norway), $5000 in tax beneficial savings and about $3000 that we owe our parents. Our budget is planned to handle that, so that's okay though. But I am sick and tired of the old used Chesterfield sofa, 60s style coffee table and "bottom of the shelf" IKEA furniture.

We want three new sofas and a table to go with them (two for the living room, one for the cinema room), a new TV with a table, a new stereo, a new dining area with at least four chairs, a new bed and a new surround receiver. And we don't want the cheap stuff. This costs money. A lot of money.

So I did a check on my collection list to consider what the high-priced year sets would sell for. 1987 to 1992 are the years that have the least amount of fun per cent per gram of plastic and cardboard, so that's what I considered selling. According to my estimation of current market values, the total is...

$21966!

If I can get even 80 percent of that, I can fill out the list of stuff we need easily, and there's no need to be cheap. $2500 stereo, $1500 surround receiver, $3500 TV, $2000 bed, $5000 sofas, $1500 dining group, $500 sofa table. With $1000 to spare to buy a PS3 and the Nintendo Wii with a few games.

I must have been crazy, the choice is easy now that I see it in perspective. Those figures have got to go! I know I will miss them like hell. After all, I did spend years hunting down Guard City, the dinocassettes and all the others. But really. Those figures are just too expensive unless you're rich.

Wouldn't you do the same?

I will start selling in about a month from now. Serious offers for specific items are welcome by pm. I have everything Japanese from 1987 and onwards, including US mailaways, all MiB except for some '87 headmasters etc and some micromasters.

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Man, if you need the money, I say go for it, even if you don't get what you'd expect to get out of them.

Recently, I had well over 1000 figures (probably closer to 1300), which included nearly the entire US run of G1 figures--everything except Reflector and Trypticon from 84-86--, Almost the entirety of show characters from Beast Wars, most Beast Machines, every RID (x2), all of Armada, most of Energon, etc. And that wasn't including Japanese stuff like Deathsaurus (which I GREATLY regret giving up), Victory Saber, and more. I just needed the money more than toys, so I scaled back and now I'm starting over of sorts and have a total of 207 TFs, including doubles.

The bottom line of what I'm saying is, you don't have to stop being a fan, or even being a collector to scale back on your collection. I mean, half the fun of being a collector is collecting. They're only material things and most can be replaced later on. Who knows, maybe one day I'll amass the collection I once had. But if I don't, oh well. I'm having fun and that's all that matters. I got my money, paid a bunch of bills that had been piling up and had enough to buy a new laptop I had been needing, AND go on a much needed vacation.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey, me too. I'm selling most of mine as well! I need to fund the wedding & the house that are coming down the pipe!

4. Nightscream

Ebay:
    yeah I'm not pulling out, I am still excited about classics and the movie etc. It's just that the vintage stuff is simply too expensive to keep if you need significant amounts of money for other stuff. Deszaras etc just aren't worth it. I never thought they were, really. But as long as the collector market is active, one can always re-sell it when one needs the money back :) 

5. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    the market may bottom out if too many people sell their collections off.

at least a new TF movie is assured to get some new/old fans into the series to buy this stuff.

6. Nightscream

Ebay:
    well, we're just filling one niche each so far. Elvin did the Primes, the Hartmans did the US stuff, and I'll do the Japanese. I bet TF@themoon with the lucky draws must be next ;) 

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's always a shame to see a great collection get sold off like that. I may take a piece or two to keep the memory alive. :p  I have a piece of Elvin's after all so why not?

If you've got a Shuffler... I want.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Dude...I've got some 1" pressure treated plywood and cinder block coffee tables and end tables styled in a trendy late contemporary motif that I'll trade you for some of that stuff. Really!

Seriously, sorry to hear that your situation is now calling for you to part with some of those guys, but, I think you'll be happier in the end. Good luck with the sale.

9. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Who the heck is Shuffler?? o_O 

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ya'll keep selling! Soon I'll be in the lead! But I'm never be a Mint collector like the Hartmans. Muhahaha!

*not seriously

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sorry to hear about your money situation. I hope you pass your goal and make more than you thought.

You would've made a nice Botcon table(s) to shop from.

Hope you take lots of pics of them first so you'll still have proof of bragging rights :) 

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

*starts saving money for a crack at the Dino cassettes...and HM heads?*

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the 6 Japanese headmaster heads, the only one I don't have. Turns into an elephant of all things.

14. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Alright excuse me for being rude, but I have to say this. why not get a job, and put money aside before you get somthing new? I think your first priority should be work. before you spend money on stuff you dont really need.

15. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i happen to like Ikea furniture....

16. TSFC

TSFC Banned

You're not being rude at all, it's an excellent point. However, depending on the job situation where he lives, this may be impossible at the present time. You've gotta give him credit for being willing to break up his collection to do so.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I really loved the Deathsaurus figure I had. Once I converted it a few times it was easily one of my top 5 favorite figures. The only reason I sold it is that I figured that it would be one of the ones that would bring the most money. I'll eventually get another one, that toy kicks ass.

18. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Just some food for thought, everyone I know that sold their collections (and I am talking some impressive ones over 20K) regrets it because it did not solve a single issue that they had. The problems are always still there after, it was only a temporary fix.

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I used to be the "OMG I NEED IT ALL" collector, but now I just collect what I like. However, I am doing the 2x of Classics and everything Classics packaging. That's just a personal thing.

20. Nightscream

Ebay:
    I have been applying for work for a loong time. The main problem is that I don't have a driver's license and that is almost always a requirement for a social worker. Although unemployment rates are quite high in Norway (67% of previous income), I am certainly looking for a new job.

And what do you mean stuff I don't need? My wife has back problems, so she needs a better bed and better sofas. I may not need all the other stuff. But they're all stuff that gets used every day, so I would say they have more value than the figures have.

My only problem is that there is stuff that I want. As I said, our budget really can handle all regular expenses. I earn about $1250 per month in unemployment, and that will rise to about $2000 in the new year. My wife earns $3700, so we're okay until I get a new job. But it will be difficult to buy a car in addition to all the stuff I mentioned that I want. So I have decided to sacrifice some figures for that stuff instead. I don't really have problems that need to be solved, just priorities that need to be considered.

Orodruin: I do have all the heads, but I have decided to sell them all together. The cassettes will be sold individually, though. All the heads except Kark(misb) are loose, and all the cassettes are MiB.