First Edition vs Prime Robots in Disguise

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Super4Ever, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Super4Ever

Super4Ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm getting a bit confused with all the variations for the Prime figures right now as I have not had as much time to keep up on things as I would like. Could someone possible just give a list as to which versions of each figure is better, their FE or PRID versions and maybe just some info as to why. I would really appreciate it.

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

First Edition is better in many areas, but prepare to spend a buttload of money. I'd say definitely go for PRID Arcee and Vehicon and don't waste your time on the FEs for those two.

3. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    Bumblebed- I'd say FE is the way to go. The robot mode is more accurate and he's relatively cheap on BBTS. Now, the RID figure, while not as show accurate, is a bit funner to play with.

Cliffjumper- FE for sure. But, if you don't wanna spend a lot of money on him, get the RID figure.

Vehicon- The first edition is good, but i'd say wait for the RID release. The bot mode looks so much better and less kibblish.

Arcee- RID is the better figure. Get that.

Optimus- Both figures are good. So, if you're all about show accuracy, go ahead and buy the FE figure. If you're all about play value and a simpler yet fun transformation, get the RID figure. And while he isn't out yet, I assume RID Bulkhead will be the same way, simpler, but funner.

4. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Good luck collecting FE's if that's the way you decide to go. So so so expensive. I never thought I'd pay so much for deluxes and voyagers. It's even worse than the Car Robots days. I'm no stranger to importing Takara figures, but it's been crazy with the line being cancelled in the US.

5. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

i know what i did :p  well.. i got lucky xD

so for me its FE all the way. except for vehicon. i prefer the looks of the RID version.

6. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta say I prefer FE Arcee to the RID, but I've given up on getting one at a sensible price.

7. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh come on, I'm tired of people complaining about this.

Yeah, FE Prime was a bit pricey for a while, and there are still some Ebay auctions that are a bit wack.

But now you can get a Hasbro FE Prime for $45-50 before shipping easily, if you try. Considering these were $35 at Canadian retail, that's hardly a "boatload of money". We're talking an extra ten bucks or so - just buy four Vehicons instead of five and you're even.

For for FE, it's totally worth it. Takara version, if you can swing it. RiD Optimus isn't any kind of substitute, except maybe for little kids. Collectors should have better taste.

8. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

QFT

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

You do realize not all of us are adults right? Plus, PRID Prime doesn't have two fucking massive cheats.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't know where you got them. They're only $30 regular. And when they came out TRU had a sale that brought them down to $20.

Two massive fucking cheats that make an infinitely better robot and alt mode.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Elektric - nice group shot! Are those all the FE toys? I'm so out of the loop with the main line stuff.

If I'm to go into this line it's the FE line. The RID line looks kiddish IMO. Can't get into the line ad it's too stylized for me.

12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

It really depends on you. I wouldn't rely on other people's taste.

[​IMG]

For myself, Arcee sucks both ways. She's the tallest deluxe so far which makes her so inaccurate. The rest are pretty okay.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The only RID figures that have a clear advantage over the FE figs are Arcee and Vehicon. It's no cotest comparing them.

14. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    If you can get the FEs at a reasonable price, go for that. The RIDs are not bad figures at all and would all be considered really nice figures IF the FE versions never happened. So it really comes down to your taste.

15. seali_me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modifying TFP RID Prime makes it look great. I like the chest better. Plus overall RID Prime chest and arms looks bulkier. Minus the annoying huge square backpack, he actually looks very nice if not better in bot mod.

16. mrtbone81

Ebay:
    That looks really nice...did you just use paint?

17. seali_me

^

from this thread. ServO is his name. :) 

18. mrtbone81

Ebay:
    Ahhh. thanks!

19. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Alright, there are kids here, got it. But I see a lot of adults complaining too.

On a site where people routinely buy third party products, expensive Japanese imports, and older figures (even not counting vintage G1 - reissues, Classics and Henkei, Beast Wars, etc.) that routinely go for $100 or more, it seems odd to me to complain about paying a $10-15 markup for a really, really nice figure that you'd otherwise be missing out on.

My point still stands - you can either get a crappy voyager (RiD Prime) and a deluxe (and admit, we all buy some deluxes we don't need or absolutely want from time to time), or you can buy a really nice voyager on Ebay or here.

I'd choose quality over quantity any day, personally.

And I couldn't care less about "cheats" if it makes the figure look better - or in the case of TF Prime Optimus - right.

You are from Canada, I assume? There is sales tax where you live, right?

Unless you're from Alberta (or the territories, I suppose), you're looking at at least 12% tax. I'm currently living in Nova Scotia, where tax is a whopping 15%. So yeah, on a thirty dollar item, I actually pay $34.50.

And sales don't count - they weren't CONSISTENTLY on sale, after all. Count yourself lucky if you caught one. I didn't, at least, not on Prime. When they came out here, the deluxes were only $10, but I wasn't sure about getting the Hasbro version at the time, so I (stupidly) only got Starscream. There was even a Bulkhead (one of only two I ever saw at retail - I bought the second one), but it wasn't on sale.

Assuming you didn't see these on sale the first time you saw them, if anyone waited to buy Cliffjumper or the voyagers - especially Bulkhead - for a sale later, you might be out of luck. I could see the entertainment pack going on sale again, since they seem to have a good supply of those. Deluxes too, but at this point you'd only get Bumblebee (and maybe Starscream depending on your store).

I never saw the voyagers on sale. I'm just glad I was able to get 'em at all.

In the end, $45-50 still isn't too bad. We can all afford it, assuming you're not so strapped for cash that you can buy more than one Transformer per year. It just means we have to sacrifice something else - something that costs $10-15. Big friggin' deal.

20. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

No, you don't get a crappy Voyager.