First day on the job in my workplace co-op.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah I started a workplace co-op program with my school at my local Staples and I really enjoy working their especially since I really like my supervisor. She's cool to me.

Unfortunatley I'm worried I'll strain my back as my job is stocking shelves from the back to put on display. It began to hurt near the end of the day. Will I develop more back problems or is it because I'm not used to working hard?

This is also in a way my first real work expirence. My dad is proud of me.

so aside from worring about my back? I enjoyed day one. Did anyone of you guys enjoy your first day of work?

2. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    K, I did a internship at a hospital where you bend over a lot. Bend with your knee's, not your back. Actually bend your knees so your knee's are on the floor. If your back is killing you due to bad lifting technique, that's the proper lifting technique. Beyond that, I have no other ideas.

3. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I really didn't enjoy my first day.

Don't let the first day fool you or your manager just a friendly warning.

I'm not familiar with co-op programs how many hours do you have to work a week?

Be careful, don't let anyone "abuse" you there, just because your the "co-op".

But I hope it works out for you.

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    i haven't had the time to look for a job as i'm preoccupied with school work but i did work at my uncle's police station for community service hours for school. was kinda fun. even got to see some idiot crash into city hall while i was eating lunch in dispatch :lol 

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    @ OP: Honestly dude, I wouldn't worry about your back hurting or whatever. Generally, you're gonna feel like shit for the first couple weeks because you're not only trying stupidly hard to work hard & not fuck up, but your body's also getting used to the routine. Just remember to be careful (lift properly as Magnus mentioned, etc) & you should be alright.

That's usually how its been for every job I've had in the beginning (and I've always been physically active), and the 1st month has always been the hardest because along with getting burned out pretty quickly, I also didn't know wtf I was doing. However after that it gets better because you start knowing what's expected of your job & how to do it well. Dealing with customers sucks ass & always will, but like anything else you'll get better at it, and if you make it a point to learn shit every day & not fuck around (aka, actually work, don't show up late, etc), you'll do great.

When it comes to stocking & inventory shit though, make it a point to know what you're putting where, especially for things you're not familiar with. Noting subtle differences in product can make the difference between being productive & just making more work for yourself (aka, when you fuck up & have to go backwards), and don't be afraid to ask a scrapload questions. I've found that looking like an idiot for a few days pays off if you can also learn from the mistakes of others instead of just yourself, and its really all part of the team mentality. Plus, new people who don't ask questions & make silly mistakes all the time end up looking even stupider (in the short as well as long term), so there's really no downside to it. If people wanna be dicks then whatever, but yeah. Know that it'll be hard, but also know that you're 100% capable of becoming one of their best people if you put effort into it.