First Day of Work and I've already met some idiots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starscream600, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

It was my first day of work last night as some of you may know. And already, I've met some idiots.

This guy comes up to me while I was mixing and says "Could you play music that we all actually enjoy?"*

I replied "Well I'm sorry its not easy to please everyone."

Then he goes on to something else and kind of darts while calling me a sorry excuse for a DJ and a c*nt. Finally he comes back and says "You really should not be playing this so-called, 'music'." I was mixing Electro at that time cause it was halfway through my first hour.

He also said something to the effect of "No one is interested in hearing it. It's stupid." I replied with "It's what?" (Even though I knew what he said).

So I replied "Do you speak for everyone here?" I guess that made him really pissed off.

Then he says "How about if I come and pour coke all over your equipment?" I said "Cmon', do it.".

Then he said something else and I was seriously not impressed. So I popped right up around the decks and stood in front of him until he walked away. Then when I saw him walk by again I followed him back to his table with his group. I said Hi to them. Then I turned to him and I said "Are you still going to pour coke on my equipment?" (Because I've already finished the first hour and was having a break).

Then he tried to laugh it off and say he was kidding in front of his group and tried to make me look stupid. Then I said "Don't threaten me like that cause' I don't think that's funny."*

Then they left after about 30 min later. Thank god. And I return back to the decks to continue my second hour.

Seriously, if people don't like a certain genre, why come to a club that plays genres you don't like? And he insulted me because I'm playing music that he doesn't like. I'm just fricking doing my job! WTF man?! I don't mean to vent but it's just my first day of work and I already got a taste of what it's like in that club. I went in thinking "It's gonna be a great 2 hours." But in the end, I get insulted and threatened. Stupid cunt. I think a resignation is just around the corner if this goes on.

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    That's fucked up. Should have poured coke over his face while on break.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, you could always think about playing better music. :p 

Jokes aside though, its to be expected with almost any line of work. Heck, I'd have people shit on me almost every day, and it usually had nothing to do with me, but I just learned to deal with it. Best thing you can do is make an effort to appeal to your audience, but when they get sparkly, make another effort to remain calm & let them be the only idiot in the exchange.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I get paid to talk to stupid and angry people. Someone calls into my work and requests or demands a supervisor, I get stuck with them. It takes special skills to deal with people like that. And decent money too ;) 

5. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Approaching him on your break was probably not the best move, he could complain to your supervisor and have you fired. Couldn't you have had him removed after threatening your equipment? Is there any security at this club?

6. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

It an Under 18 Club... Anyone can come and go if they pay an entrance fee. That's why there's no alcohol sold in the club.

7. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Sounds like a boring club. :p 

J/K but there's stupid people everywhere you go. That's why I'm aiming as hard as possible to get some work not related to customer service.

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Be that as it may, most places have a zero tolerance policy towards violence in the workplace which usually extends to threats of violence and to customers. There should be someone in authority to show them the door.

9. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Young punks these days. If I were you, I'd buy a camera and record anyone who comes up to you for the small chance of them making threats and then getting your supervisor to ban them.

10. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Dude, wait until you ever get a government job. You think it's bad now....ohhhh boy...just wait....

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Makes the idiots even more idiotic. They can't blame their stupidness on the alcohol.

12. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Why should YOU leave? HE'S the one that sucks! :dj 

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    WHOA!!!1 Stupid, obnoxious people at an under-18 club?! HOW CRAZY is that?!!

14. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i busted out laughing because this is unbelievably true. teenagers are little shits and everyone knows it.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Next time, play some Justin Beiber and announce that that guy requested it.

16. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

:lol  It's so diabolical, it just might work!

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome the world of work. No matter what job you do or where it is, there will always be complete bloody idiots. Don't hand in your resignation over this idiot, you're now learning the fun skill of coping with morons.

Please do this. Please.

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Don't listen to such jerks. People like that are everywhere in the world. And there are other sorts of annoying people. They are called deck sharks ;) 

The club hired you because they think you do a good job, so do what you are used to do. You can't ever please everyone, that's impossible. Just try to get the majority of people to dance. Sometimes the easiest way for this is to make the ladies dance, because then the guys will follow ;) 

But that does not always work in every music I guess.

However. You should have told the manager or the club security about the guy, so that he's thrown out of the club instead of dealing with him yourself. Although I can understand that you want to defend yourself. But you are doing your job there and as long as your boss does not say something to you, that you are not doing your job well, you should ignore such douchebags and concentrate on your job and hopefully have fun while doing it! ;) 

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There it is in a nutshell. All things considered in a busy club (I presume) for two hours and only one moron, those aren't bad odds. You're likely to encounter worse at some point.

20. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Don't resign because one guy is a major idiot/dick. He was the only one who complained, right? Then ignore his stupid ass. There's always one person who will get pissy because you're not playing what they want to hear.

Like someone else suggested, I would set up a few mixes to play and say the asshole requested it. That seems like a good way to get them to shut up.