Customs: First custom, paint questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wingsbr, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I just started painting my first custom and I have some questions. First thanks to everyone for the advice about paints, taking tf's apart and getting the factory paint off. All of them worked like a dream. Now to the paint. I cleaned with alcohol and then washed soap and water, I am spraying w/ Tamiya and the paint is going on well. My first spray job a year ago was a disaster because I didn't understand color building so I just sprayed about 4 inches away and globbed it on, you can imagine that didn't turn out well. I am repainting a classics devastator and last night I got the black to go on very well so now my questions.

1. Do I always need 2 or 3 coats or does one coat suffice if I get good coverage?
    2. Do I have to use a clearcoat or that future floor wax stuff?
    A. Is this more for looks or protection?
    3. Do I have to wait a week for the spray paint to cure before I start painting in the details with a handrbrush or can I wait a day or two and do that?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide me.

2. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Coats should go on thin, so I always go with more than one coat. The only time i dont is if I simply spraying an metallic color over the same base color.

I never use it because I think that the Tamiya srays give a nice finish, especially to Alt's. If anything I will lightly spray a dullcoat or satin. It does both seals and aestheticizes the toy. Some of the paints formulated for plastics are OK even without a final top coat/sealer IMO.

I try as hard as I can to let the paint cure completely. Man, sometimes that's a tough wait, but it's worth it because it is easier to wait patiently than to be fixing stupid 'f' up's. A week is a long time, but I always wait for a full week or so cure when using sprays before reassembling.

3. freezowave

Coats should go on thin, so I always go with more than one coat. The only time i dont is if I simply spraying an metallic color over the same base color.

I never use it because I think that the Tamiya srays give a nice finish, especially to Alt's. If anything I will lightly spray a dullcoat or satin. It does both seals and aestheticizes the toy. Some of the paints formulated for plastics are OK even without a final top coat/sealer IMO.

I try as hard as I can to let the paint cure completely. Man, sometimes that's a tough wait, but it's worth it because it is easier to wait patiently than to be fixing stupid 'f' up's. A week is a long time, but I always wait for a full week or so cure when using sprays before reassembling.

4. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    I guess where I am confused is that the part I am painting is a very dark grey and I am going to semi gloss black. When I looked at it this morning (12 hours) it looked covered and black as can be. Could it be because I am painting a black onto a darker color? I guess I am worried about the paint chipping and if I put an extra coat on is this going to change that?

Thanks for confirming this for me. I really liked the way it went on, so smooth like it was the colored plastic that hasbro uses. I was worried about spraying after my first fiasco a year ago, but I denied the tempation to do the same thing and it worked.

Thanks, do I also have to wait a week before I can paint by hand the small details and then another week before reassembly? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new at the custom stuff.

5. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    I guess where I am confused is that the part I am painting is a very dark grey and I am going to semi gloss black. When I looked at it this morning (12 hours) it looked covered and black as can be. Could it be because I am painting a black onto a darker color? I guess I am worried about the paint chipping and if I put an extra coat on is this going to change that?

Thanks for confirming this for me. I really liked the way it went on, so smooth like it was the colored plastic that hasbro uses. I was worried about spraying after my first fiasco a year ago, but I denied the tempation to do the same thing and it worked.

Thanks, do I also have to wait a week before I can paint by hand the small details and then another week before reassembly? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new at the custom stuff.

6. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I use Tamiya a lot.

If you're painting black on dark gray, you might be able to get away with one coat.

When using sprays there's one technique I use....lots of thin coats until I have the color I want...then one last wetter coat (thicker) to create a shine. You nead a "little" more paint to get a shiny coat because you need complete coverage so surface tension can bond all the droplets together.

I've never used a coat of clear and never had a problem.

As far as waiting it to cure....a week is not needed at all.
    To paint details if you wait an hour that is more than enough time, but let me qualify that with one thing. If you do as I stated before with a slightly thicker end coat to get a shine...wait at least 24 hours before applying pressure to it. Within 24 hours you can still get fingerprints, or mess up the finish by pressing masking tape on it. (you'll get impressions of the tape).

7. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I use Tamiya a lot.

If you're painting black on dark gray, you might be able to get away with one coat.

When using sprays there's one technique I use....lots of thin coats until I have the color I want...then one last wetter coat (thicker) to create a shine. You nead a "little" more paint to get a shiny coat because you need complete coverage so surface tension can bond all the droplets together.

I've never used a coat of clear and never had a problem.

As far as waiting it to cure....a week is not needed at all.
    To paint details if you wait an hour that is more than enough time, but let me qualify that with one thing. If you do as I stated before with a slightly thicker end coat to get a shine...wait at least 24 hours before applying pressure to it. Within 24 hours you can still get fingerprints, or mess up the finish by pressing masking tape on it. (you'll get impressions of the tape).

8. freezowave

Yeah, the only time I wait a day or two is before reassembling the parts that may rub. And the black over grey could be fine with a coat, or coat and a half.

9. freezowave

Yeah, the only time I wait a day or two is before reassembling the parts that may rub. And the black over grey could be fine with a coat, or coat and a half.