Minor/Repaint: First Custom Ever!! (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dex17113, May 7, 2011.

1. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Well....I finally did it....

I took the plunge to become a 'customizer.' After watching folks for a while and asking some questions, I was faced with a couple conclusions:

1. I should start small

2. I was going to screw up in the early going because I'm new at this.

That said, I looked for a small project. I had purchased a KO Cliffjumper, because I missed the original one....and...well...it sucks. So, I decided to fix that for my first project.

Started by taking the bugger apart. Then I replaced the head with a WFC Cliff head. Next I started masking stuff off for painting. I decided to use a metallic color as close to the red on the new noggin as I could get.

FIRST FAIL: I neglected to note that, when purchasing the first can of spray paint, I didn't hear the little mixer thingie in the can. When I got it home, I discovered that the paint had congealed inside the can. (D'oh!)

Went back to store and exchanged can....made sure to hear mixer thingie in can first this time.

I then avoided another fail by remembering that when they made the KO they put some type of relief logo on the ass-end of Cliff. So...I ground that stuff off.

SECOND FAIL: Neglected to watch the way the wind was blowing when putting first coat of paint on and caught not only myself, but a small patch of the siding on the back of the house. Used some handy nail polish remover to take it off the siding to avoid an ultimate fail of advertising my mistake to the freakin' world.

So...It's not going perfect so far, but I'm learning. So in any event, here are some pics of my progress. Please be gentle; it is, after all, my first crack at this.

Dex

5/8/11: UPDATE

Well I put more paint on...then I removed the tape, etc. From there I've added some black to areas that needed it (side windows, interior or grill, etc. I haven't completely decided if I'm going to paint the seats black or let them the bright red for some contrast. Next up with be the headlights and tail lights along with adding the head back on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Great start dex

3. domshen

domshen Radicon

I would have to agree with everything except the 30 seconds ;-) I think he meant 30 minutes but I could be wrong. This is great for your first shot at customizing. Just remember a mistake is the best thing to learn from! Keep up the hard work! :-D

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So far it looks better than my first custom

5. Dex17113

Thanks for the advice on the painting....this is my first go at it with spray painting. I figured I couldn't screw up Cliff *TOO* bad. :) 

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

You'll feel a great pride of accomplishment when you succeed.

7. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

practice makes perfecT! theres alot of us that have been doing customs for a long time yet, we never stop learning new things, techniques, ideas, etc.. keep it up man!

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

way better than my first. ill tell ya that

9. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Looks pretty good so far! Certainly better than my first foray into spray paint! :D 

10. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

I admire anyone who takes on the task of painting a complete figure. Good luck!

I have a great fear of spray paint, won't even try. I'm a terrible painter. I once painted a birdhouse for my mom, and it was condemned by the Federal Housing Authority. True story.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welcome to Radicons!

Don't fret too much about things right off of the bat. I think you'll find the more you do things, the better you'll become. :) 

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Important Tip 1: Don't huff the paint. Welcome!

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Beside the other tips you've gotten, I have one more that will make a huge difference in the results. Fully disassemble the toy being painted. I notice in one pic the entire lower leg is still assembled. Painting all the individual parts will give better parts coverage.

14. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    Can nail polish remover remove factory paint apps from hasbro figs?

15. Dex17113

ROFLMAO....Nice!

You know I think on a more expensive investment for a figure I'd of been REALLY concerned about trying spray paint. BUT...the figure was $14.00....I figured it was worth it to take the chance given how horrible the paint aps were that came with it. I'm serious...Nobody could have done worse than the actual applications that were ON it! It was horrible.

16. Dex17113

Crap....*ahem*....FAIL NUMBER THREE......

17. Dex17113

Here's a question about that though....

Some of the joins are pinned together, not screwed. How do you take those apart effectively without breaking the figure? With this one, I was REALLY concerned about doing it because as a KO the plastic is really thin. Sadly, the paint will actually bulk it up.

18. Dex17113

If it doesn't, acetone (the active ingredient in most nail polish removers) will take just about anything off. But it can eat right through some surfaces and whatnot so be very careful with it. In other words, don't use it over the dining room table or you will be sorry.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I use a pin punch to remove the pins. You can get one for like $3 at Lowe's. Then sand the joints down so the thickness added by the paint will get it back to where it was. Otherwise, if you don't disassemble, you have unpainted areas that will show depending on how you have them positioned when you paint. Of if you do disassemble but then do not sand down joints, you end up with overly tight joints that could break.

20. Dex17113

Updated the post....added some new pics of my progress. Aside from the learning experience with spray paint creating a less-than-perfect paint job, this project is coming together better than I expected it would for my first crack at this.

I'm pretty happy so far.