Minor/Repaint: First attempt to customize!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by heshanj, Jul 31, 2008.

1. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    hey guys..
    im new at this. new at collecting, actually. i picked up movie voyager first strike optimus prime a while back. i dunno why..coz at the time, i didnt know much so i thought he was the best prime to go with my collection. opened him up, hated the colors and pretty much everything, so i bought the premium leader prime the next week. i tried selling this guy, but apparently i got ripped off at toys r us...paid Singapore $50, and all other toy shops have reduced the price to 30..so i dont think there's any point in selling him for 10 bucks, and someone suggested i customize him..i thought it'd be a good one to start off on...so i need some suggestions/help, as ive never done this before..

first of all, any idea on wat i can do to make it look better?
    secondly, wat tools etc would i need to put these ideas into effect?
    and of course, i'd like to start simple, so keep ur ideas at beginner level :D 

i hope someone can help me out here, coz i dont think its worth selling, and i really dont like the way this prime looks now...so please let me know

Attached Files:

2. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I turned my Voyager Prime into G1 type Ultra Magnus, no modification needed just a straight re-paint.

The windows on Prime's chest in bot mode make a good stensil for the armour that G1 Magnus had.

As for tools, I used warhammer (games workshop) paints and a selection of brushes.

If you want to have a look at it, the Ultra Magnus I did is currently on page 13 of the repaints/ minor mods section.

3. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Well, the usual options for a Prime are -

- pimped to bring out the best aspects of the molding (can get quite advanced)
    - magnus repaint (white and blue)
    - nemesis repaint (black and purple/red)
    - simple metallic repaint (metallic red, metallic blue, silver/gunmetal)
    - sometimes, a Motormaster repaint (black and grey)
    - fancharacters with a "Prime" or "Convoy" in their names
    - scratchbuild extra accessories
    - completely new toy using parts of the old one (can get advanced depending on design). For example, the hood and driver cabin (but not the sleeper) on that particular Prime are pure kibble. It could be pulled off and replaced with something else to completely change the look of the vehicle mode without affecting the robot mode all that much.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for the tips, very helpful..so paints with a brush is fine? no need for an airbrush etc? im completely new to this, so i wanna know the easiest way to get it done :D  the ideas are great, can anyone elaborate on the painting etc? thanks again

5. Bumblebee2008

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Painting is a good option, if you have the equipment air brushing is better, it will give you a far more even coat of paint. Try both, and see which you prefer. It's all about trial and error in this game!!

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i think i'll start off with painting..i saw some guides online on normal painting...looks good for a beginner :D  i think i'll go for the nemesis prime deco..black should be nice, and easier to cover up mistakes (i think) :D  if there are any tips anyone can leave, please go ahed..thanks

7. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    oh, and also...first strike optimus doesnt have the flames on the truck mode..any easy way to paint that? how do i get a stencil, if possible? thanks :D 

8. Bumblebee2008

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want tips on flames, there is a guide to basic flames on the 2nd page of the tutorials and how to's section of Radicons.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    90% or more of your questions can be answered by perusing the tutorials section :) 

10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    nice, thanks :D  im still wondering where to buy paint...games workshop doesnt have a singapore site..guess i need to check out some stores..no idea where to look :D 

11. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    games workshop paints aren't available here in the philippines either, but i found that gunze-sangyo and tamiya acrylic paints work really well.

i also found jin saotome's guide most helpful when I started painting TFs. good luck! :) 

12. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thanks...will try this out :D 

13. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Like everybody else has said the How to & Tutorials section is your best friend.
    I've been doing this under a year (Oct 07) & I still go in the How to section almost weekly.

Starfire MK2's flames tutorial is super easy. You can see the end result I got on my Ani Cliffy with one try.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/tutorials-and-how-tos-2/how-to-make-basic-flames-164324/
    http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/repaints-and-minor-mods-4/animated-cliffjumper-165126/

Just remember, Have fun & don't be afraid to make mistakes.
    All else fails asks questions. I still drive PK crazy with my questions.

Welcome aboard.

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Goodluck with your project. just take your time and enjoy it

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard, Radicon! I'll echo what others have said with checking out our extensive tutorials section. We continue to work on this section to serve as THE resource for kitbashers customizing TFs :) 

As for ideas on this project? One sentence:

Powered Convoy FTW!

:) 

16. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thanks to everyone for the great help..i will definitely post pics once i get it done :D 

17. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Looking forward to it. Feel free to do something crazy, ya know.