Firrib/rirfib

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mrgalvaprime, Nov 1, 2011.

?

FIRRIB/RIRFIB

1. Rumble is blue, frenzy is red

58.8%
  2. Frenzy is blue, Rumble is red

41.2%
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, if we're ONLY talking about the G1 Sunbow cartoon, then sure, RiBFiR. However, typically the discussion is an "end-all-be-all" type of discussion. As such, the toys come first.

Existence isn't simply up to "this is how I remembur it frum my childhood, so that's the way it is!!!!!"; these characters belong to Hasbro. As stated above, there are several instances of these characters, and they're not limited by G1. Movie-verse Frenzy is silver, for example.

However, no matter what, this is simply one of those "Han/Greedo shot first" types of discussions that will always be a source of contention.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    And has blue eyes. Imagine the fuss we could have in the fandom in twenty years time since most of the toys of him actually have red eyes. :p 

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :trolls: 

I don't care, besides, I think Rumble is blue, Frenzy is black and Enemy is red.

Opinion, yes, does it stop others having a different opinion? No. Is this thread pointless? DEFINITELY! I think it's about time we move on from this kind of discussion.

4. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Quoted myself from the last time this topic surfaced:

5. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    did you watch the cartoon?
    did you read the comics?
    It's all about which one you saw first ('toon for me)

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw the cartoon first, but for me it's about what was on the toy packaging.

Not that I REALLY care, or think the cartoon was wrong. Seperate universes with the same characters is what I consider them anyway, for lots of reasons.

7. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

The cartoon gave the characters their....character. Rumble is blue

....besides, the red and black scheme was pretty intense and a name like Frenzy fits much better for it IMO.

8. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grew up with the cartoon, so Rumble is blue/purple/lavender for me!
    I also agreed that the color intensity of red and black fits the name Frenzy nicely as well.

This looks like a job for google, never heard of them....

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    See for me, I've never really cared what the name was on the packaging. Universe 'Tankor' is and always will be Octane to me, 'Solar Storm Grappel' is and always will be simply Grapple to me, Generations 'Darkmount' is and always will be Straxus to me (and I hold no personal nostalgia for that particular character, I just like the name better). Of course then again I also call the Cybertron TRU(?) Exclusive 2 pack red Starscream "Thrust" since I feel the colourscheme suits that character more and DOTM Voyager Megatron is Onslaught in my collection for a few reasons.

My long winded point is (and this isn't directed specifically at you Foster, your post was just the most convenient to quote) anyway my point is that just becausethe packaging says one thing doesn't mean that everyone must adhere to that without question or opinion.

And to finish my thought and bring this back to RIBFIR/FIBRIR, I accept that it tends to be Hastak's intention that FIBRIR however I dont think anyone can be wrong in prefering RIBFIR.

10. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

Rumble is red,
    Frenzy is blue
    FIRRIB/RIRFIB will never end,
    and any evidence will never do

I loved the cartoon but can acknowledge the toy is the proper source. For the toy & comic, RIRFIB is canon, but for the cartoon FIRRIB is canon. For the overall franchise, toy canon trumps everything else since it was the source but within the continuity of the show, Rumble is blue (purple), Frenzy is red.

Now if we can look at another contentious G1 subject: which Insecticon became which Sweep? Which Sweep did Kickback become, which Sweep did Shrapnel become?

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  13. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Fortunately, the vast majority of prominent depictions of Rumble in official media are RED, so there's really not that much conflict.

The only real source of deviation is the original cartoon, which created the whole paradigm for Blue Rumbles. In the sense that in 1984, the Tech Specs might be said to trump the Cartoon, it was that whole initial problematic break that lead to the cartoon's lineage of monstrous abominable blue progeny...

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but you've just made a pretty good case for Red Rumble. People can call the Red One "Frenzy" all they want, but we still know what name is printed on his birth certificate. :) 

However, the question is still far from reaching any kind of universal assent. It's not like Rumble himself, everyone in Rumble's family and his entire circle of acquaintance prefers to call him "Frenzy" (as compared to your sister... and of course nicknames are a slightly different case anyway). In this deadlocked schism, I think the RIRFIB camp simply has a stronger case.

The truth is, I do really recognize that the canons of the Toon and Toy Packaging/Original Copyright Material/Comic Books Written by the Franchise Creator are not the same exactly... and that Lavender Rumble is a cartoon reality. I'm just saying that anywhere outside of that Cartoon domain, G1 Rumble has no business being anything but Red.

I wasn't aware that there was any contention in the Han/Greedo debate, except between George Lucas and EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. :p 

Despite his whitewash of history, he can't change what happened. I mean, he can (and apparently is going to change it AGAIN a 4th time for the 3D release), but that doesn't mean that anybody else accepts it. He may still get the action figure revenue, but George Lucas should realize that Star Wars now belongs not to him, but to the world...

I saw the comics and toys first, then the cartoon... but I also had a black and white TV for the first 20 years of my life, so there wasn't much discord. :) 

Rather, when another kid didn't believe that the cartoon got his colours wrong, I had only to point to his packaging and every other bit of toy documentation to prove that indeed, the Cartoon did "get it wrong". 25 years later the evidence hasn't really changed, to be honest.

This is true, though the associations aren't quite strong enough to sway me.

The cartoon version didn't INVENT Rumbles character (Budiansky did), but his Cartoon incarnation and voice will always be his most vivid expression of character. However, he's still red to me.

Think I would have much luck getting everyone to accept a mold-swap for Sideswipe and Sunstreaker? That always bugged me, and for some reason to this very day, some tiny corner of my mind wishes that they had their proper bodies, instead of being swapped as they were. How about it...? Could that be the next FIBRIR debate? :D 

Toy packaging in Transformers has long ago lost all semblance of authority. Aside from the legal concerns, there's just simply the fact that nobody puts that kind of love into the work of developing toy fiction anymore.

Arguably, Mattycollector makes a pretty good effort on their MOTUC line, but that's sort of a special case.

I totally agree. Nobody's wrong in preferring it one way or the other. I still think that the G1 original media/packaging/comics take primacy in this question, but people can prefer it any way they want. :) 

Yeah, this is pretty much my outlook.

Wait, wha...?!? I knew that Hasbro released plans for a canceled Blue Rumble, but I didn't realize that they also had a planned Red Frenzy too!

At least Takara got it right, and Hasbro backed off (for now). :) 

zmog

14. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :deadhorse: 

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Oh, c'mon... that's why we're all here. To flog the hell out of this old horse skeleton. If you didn't come in here, horsewhip in hand, there's really no reason even to click the link. I mean, what were you expecting... new insights? :D  :lol 

zmog

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol 

Touché!

17. reignbot

reignbot Lazybot

hehe

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    ...and Soundwave is purple in G1.:) 

19. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    RIRFIB anyone one that thinks otherwise is very deluded :tongue: 

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm a Blue Rumble kinda guy, but I prefer RiBFiR, not FiRRiB. Rolls off the tongue better cause it sounds like the first half of a condom commercial.