Firefly

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Autovolt 127, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Last Night I finally sat down and started watching the Firefly Series DVD I had gotten recently.

By god is this show friggin awesome. I see now why everyone talks about Firefly on a daily basis, the idea of making a badass western in space is Genius.

I think my favourite charecter would have to be either Mal, Wash or The Shepard. Honestly I haven't seen a show with such great charecters in a while?

Now i have one question? Why the hell did they cancel this show so soon?

P.S I've only seen the first episode Serenity so far so please don't spoil anything for me.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it was just one of the earliest victims of the now-established trend of cancelling a show if it doesn't pull fantastic numbers within the first handful of episodes.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Lets see my memory is a little hazy.....Well they aired the 2nd episode 1st, then I think they had a week or so off. Then they showed more of the episodes, but out of order. they aired it during football season and changed the day it aired. It was announced cancelled after 6 or 7 episodes. Many of the episodes were unseen till they came out on the DVD which sold like hotcakes when it first came out. So they rethought things and another company produced a movie which does a good job of tying up plot lines. it did decent but not great, so there was no sequel.

4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty good memory. Though, it was Baseball they interrupted it for. Universal was the the company responsible for Serenity (the movie, not the episode, for the OPs clarification.)

The movie itself was great, but it didn't do decent, even money wise.

Quoted from here: Serenity (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It deserved much more. It really did. I was so glad to be able to find it on Blu-Ray the other day. $10.00 for BD/DVD Combo with Digital Copy at Wal-Mart.

When I get a chance, I'll grab the series on Blu-Ray. It's one you shouldn't miss.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What I still don't understand is how critically aclaimed shows get cancelled so fast while crap continues to be on the airwaves?

6. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Crap costs less per episode. And even if it only does moderately well, it costs less than a show like Firefly that has special effects. And these days unless it's a verified hit after 3 episodes they will can it. Same thing happened to Fillan's 2nd staring series Drive, which Only aired 3 or 4 episodes, was starting to go somewhere, then was canned. eps 5 and 6 aired online only. Of course it was anther Fox series. Studio's take no chances to let their shows build an audience. If it doesn't do well in the first two episodes, it usually won't last a season. If they handled things the way they they do now back in the old days, Cheers would have been canceled in the first season. It got horrible ratings in the first season, picked up in reruns and did well in season 2 onwards. But these days it would be canned quickly.

7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Firefly is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I cared so much about the characters even though we got to know them only for one season. My favorite episode is The Train Job. This show really deserved better. They need to be careful when they have programs that are set to air after sports games because the game usually goes beyond its estimated run time.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Seems us

Transformer Board Members like

Posting About Firefly.

Anyway, it was pretty much a textbook example of how to kill a show.

1. Air the episodes out of order.

2. Tell and show the viewer what the big plot twist is before the episode airs.

3. Put it in a timeslot so it can often be pre-empted.

4. Air the first 7 episodes on 3 different nights and four different time slots.

5. Put it on Fox.

Cancel the show at that point because it can't find its audience.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhaahahah, that's horrible...

10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gorramed FOX.

11. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I'm very late to the party......There's also a few different threads about Firefly, but this one had the most recent posts...

I am in the middle of watching Firefly (last episode I watched was "Out of Gas" Ep. 8) Don't ask me why it took me so long to finally watch it but you can add my name to the list of those that wish this show hadn't been cancelled. I am really enjoying it. I think my favorite episode so far has been 'Our Mrs. Reynolds' but most of them have been great.

I did see Serenity back when it first came out on DVD and I remember thinking it was ok. I think I will have a different opinion after I watch the whole series and have more of a connection to the characters.

12. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yea, watch the movie again when you finish the series.

This reminds me, I bought the full collection on BR almost a year ago. I need to open those and watch them.

13. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just watched this show for the first time this summer, and I recently started re-watching it with a friend. After watching the first episode, I thought "this is a great show". After the second episode, I thought "this is without a doubt the greatest show ever made". Throughout the series I really felt like I had bonded with the characters. They're pretty much all equally my favorites, although by a tiny bit, my favorites are Kaylee because she's adorable and Simon because he's an awkward nerd who can't talk to girls, just like me. The movie was also excellent (one of the closest times I've come to crying was at the end of Serenity, the other being the end of Doctor Who Season 2), and I strongly recommend reading the comics as well (especially "A Shepherd's Tale").

14. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have been somewhat Firefly obsessed so I looked up summaries of the comics to get more info on the characters. It would have been cool to see more of Shepherd Book's backstory in the seasons that never were. I have 3 more episodes to watch then I'll watch Serenity.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Because critical acclaim doesn't equal ratings bonanza. Infact it can mean the exact opposite. The way Rodger Ebert put it, critics (who's job it is to watch everything, not just what they might like) want something different and original. As it will actually stand out, and they'll take notice. The viewing audience however wants what's familiar, safe or edgy doesn't matter so long as it's familiar. Why do you think it's such a rare thing for critics and audiences to love something?

On the subject of Firefly. It needs to stay dead. That fucking hot mess of a movie Serenity slit the franchises throat and let it bleed out on the ground. It was Whedon whittling down a multi-season ongoing plot into a 120 minute movie. And it didn't work. After Serenity and Doll house (but before Avengers) I though Joss Whedon's best days as a creator were behind him. Now I guess they've moved off his own stuff and onto Marvel.

16. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    One of the biggest problems with its original airing was that the episodes were played out of order, so it was quite hard to follow.

If I recall, episodes 11 - 13, or maybe just 11 and 13, were never aired, and the pilot was one of the last ones to air. It was a mess.

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

They wouldn't leave the time slot alone, either. I seem to recall it getting moved around at least once, and being preempted by sports a few times.

Fox claims that it never found an audience. Fact is, it had an audience, but Fox seemed to be actively trying to keep that audience from finding the show.

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yeah it could be 2 to 3 weeks between episodes, and when you finally saw them you had forgotten the previous ones.

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Fox killed the series. Yet I don't know why abc won't pick up the series since Disney almost own Whedon today. I watched the series about 3 times already and planning on a 4th over winter break. It saddens me on how much potential it had and fox threw it away.

Serenity was good but it still left me craving for more. I would not mind a sequel based 10 years after the events to truly finish off the series.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I called it like a month ago. Now that Joss Wheadon has the title of "guy who made at one point in history, the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time" SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, Serenity will fly once again. It might be Mal teaching a new generation or an entire new cast, but we WILL see that universe again.

We're still flying.