Firefly

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Autobot X, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

So, a friend recommended that my wife and I check out the old Joss Whedon show Firefly, so we put it on our Netflix queue. Now we are totally addicted.:popcorn 

We've watched the first three discs, and I think we get the last disc today. Serenity will be here next week.

I'm sad that we only have a few episodes and a movie left to see, but I kind of like the fact that it's a finite series with a definite ending.

The only question I have is: Does the Serenity conclusion movie wrap up the various subplots satisfactorily?

PLEASE don't spoil it for me! Just a yes or no will do. ;) 

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    (Some kind mod will hopefully kick this over to the Movies & Television forum)

Answer to your question: Yes and no. Yes it wraps up the big stuff, but there are a few gaps. It takes place a little while after the show and there's a comic mini series that goes in between 'em and helps to explain a few things. The comics wrap up a few things too (more like cuts them short).

3. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The movie actually takes the story line from seasons two and three, that were never made, and pushes them together into a single 90 minutes. So, things are fast paced, and a number of mysteries are revealed, but not all. I preferred the series, but the movie is pretty cool too.

4. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Since when the hell do we have a Movies and Television forum? I love this site, but it's a little too persnickety about forums and subforums and subsubforums...too much to keep track of for someone who posts once a month or so.

In any case, thanks for the responses.

5. Falldown

Falldown Well-Known Member

Great series and very enjoyable movie :) .

The last episode of Firefly doesn't really feel like a final episode. I know I was kinda of left thinking "oh, that's it then?" Good thing you don't have to wait too long between it and Serenity, which wraps things up much better.

6. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

What really sucks is that if all these people that are Firefly fans now, would have been watching it when it was still airing the show would have gotten more than it's little 13 episode run. It might not have been of Fox... but with higher rating Whedon may have had a better chance to get in on Sci-Fi, WB, UPN etc. etc...

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

It aired out of order and fox kept changing the day it aired, plus they never aired the whole thing. It was treated like most of the good shows on fox when it didn't immediately get great ratings, they caned it by the 7th or 8th episode. If it hadn't been for the DVD's the movie would have never happened. It was a train wreck to begin with(Not the show) the way the network handled it.

8. Evil Porkchop

It always aired on Friday, usually before John Doe (another show Fox screwed over). I will concede that it was aired out of order, but it wasn't that sequential of a show like BSG is, that if you miss one episode you are lost. When Fox first aired the original pilot (Serenity) I thought it was just some sort of flashback episde. So I still stand by my point that if all the fans that Firefly/Serenity has now would have been watching back in 2002. The show could have at least gotten 2-3 more good years. I'm not defending Fox or anything, they have fucked up too many good shows and clutter cable with lame-ass reality T.V.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I liked Jon Doe too, It had one of those shock/ twist endings that will now never be resolved.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Scroll down...

11. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I bet the show would've made it had it not been for Fox's crazy treatment of it and other shows. Baseball playoffs were on at the time, and so from week to week they not only changed the time of day the show was on, but even the day! Thursday at 7 one week then friday at 8 the next. They do the same thing with Bones during American Idol season. The show was great and I'm glad they got the opportunity to finish it off. I actually got to go to a test audience screening months ahead of official release, they gave us a ton of swag, and there were a couple of guys around the theater with nightvision goggles making sure no one was using a video camera! It was pretty cool.

12. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Firefly is the best show that's ever been on TV, period. It pains me that we'll probably never get any more installments.

Glad you discovered it, though!

Um, for a pretty long time. Like, at least a year.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Firefly was definately cut far too short.

Yet another reason I get nervous whenever Fox gets a hold of a potentially good show.

14. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Funny this thread was brought up. I just finished the series on Saturday. I found it rather enjoyable. The contrast between high tech scifi and the old west was rather odd, but I found myself accepting it. Serenity was good, but it did feel a little rushed. I do wish they would have made more episodes.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Believe it or not, I just watched this series. I kept hearing about it, so I watched it streaming on Netflix. So sad it was only 14 episodes, cause it's a good show. I think Summer Glau is just bad luck. She keeps getting cast in great shows that get cancelled just when they get good ( Terminator: TSCC ). I've watched Serenity, but I had no idea it was the finally to a series when I did so it made little sense. I don't recall much about it, so I'll have to watch it again now that I've seen the show.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And when Space aired it they made a big deal out of airing the episodes in order, and all 13 of them. The show had potential. It was always going to be dragged down by the western elements it had (my hatred of westerns is great).

17. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was the episode Fox wanted as the pilot. The actual first episode was "The Train Job". "Serenity" actualy comes later.

18. Evil Porkchop

You are wrong. The first episode is "Serenity" it's even the first episode in the box set. The reason why the "Train Job" was aired first is because Fox wanted an episode with more "action". In the Firefly box-set in one of Joss Whedon's commentaries he even says as much. Whedon even had to re-write some of the "Train Job" to introduce who the characters are and what their role is.

19. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Love the series and the movie

Whedon should've asked another channel to air it. Maybe a cable one.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

lets all moves to Jaynestown!