1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Who wishes the firearm weapons of Prime were more personalized? They all sound the same and share the same aesthetic. (silver with blue lights, black with red in case of 'Cons) They all function the same and make the same noise. (that weak "pew-pew" noise) Where's the "Spyoomph" fusion cannon, or fitzing buzzing noise for BB's blasters, or heavy-caliber blast of Bulkhead's? The weapons almost seem like an afterthought. They put so much personalization and character into the designs they forgot about unique weapons. There's nothing even remotely interesting about them. The most unique are Starscream's missles, and only by virtue of not being "pew pew" guns. It would be a neat idea of uniform firearms but it doesn't make sense when there's no uniformity among the Autobots. (and the guns are still different, just not very characterful)

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well to be fair the G1 show was guilty of this as well. But it's not really bad in my opinon. I mean it's way more creative than the simple pistol guns of the G1 era.

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm fine with how the weapons look, but I do agree that having more personalized sounds would do a world of good.

4. ahunmaster

ahunmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that when it comes to weapons, it's hard to create new and unique ideas without making something that's weird and really out there. While I'd like some different weapons to make there way onto the battlefield, I think its just another element to the story that might make it too complicated.

5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I kind of agree with Split Lip here; most of the weapons may look somewhat different, but in action, they are very similar. Take Megatron's fusion cannon; when I picture one firing in my head, I think either something like G1, or a Kamehameha-style blast at full charge (yes, I watched DBZ as a kid; a lot of kids in America did). Instead, it's something that can get deflected with Optimus's sword.

If I was doing the character firearms, I would make the following changes:

Autobots:
    1. Optimus: His guns are freaking huge; they should have a deep, booming sound and either slugs like his Movie version did or larger laser bursts
    2. Arcee: Hers is a smaller-caliber weapon, and should probably have a lighter sound effect and burst, as opposed to Optimus's weapons.
    3. Bulkhead: Give him built-in versions of Rhinox's chain guns and call it a day. Because, really, the chain guns of doom need to return, and I think that Bulkhead could be a good heir for them.
    4. Bumblebee: I'd say keep what he has, but match the projectile and sound effect to the blaster.
    5. Ratchet: Ratchet isn't involved in the fight too much, so he probably wouldn't carry one, like in the actual series.

Decepticons
    1. Megatron: as previously described, or more like a dragon's breath weapon, only with Energon instead of fire. I think it would be neat to have an alternate name for the fusion cannon be the Dragon's Maw, but that's my inner fantasy geek coming out.
    2. Starscream: break out that arm cannon he had in Darkness Rising, and have him keep the missiles on top of it.
    3. Knockout: See Ratchet
    4. Breakdown: I'd keep the shoulder-launched missile, the quad-barreled missile launcher from the comics, and throw in a variant of Skyquake's minigun, or maybe something like Vera, Jayne's gun from Firefly, as a neat shoutout.
    5. Airachnid: ditch the blasters and keep the webshooters; she's only really good with the latter, and it allows her to drag her victims off for further torture.
    6. He's got Laserbeak, and he's better for the sneaky role anyhow. No changes necessary in my opinion.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly don't care since I never pay attention to the sounds the weapons make. Aesthetic and individuality of the weapons I'm already fine with. Especially the melee ones.

7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Now melee weapons, those are unique amongst the characters.

8. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

The designs of the weapons themselves are fine by me, but yeah, the generic "pew pew" sound effects are so dull, they can't cut cheese. The Vehicons I can understand (and honestly, the sound effect is actually fitting, being a generic "pew pew" laser sound and all), but yeah, Bulkhead's MASSIVE cannon makes the same sounds as Arcee's tiny li'l pistols? Yeah...

I also say the same with the transformation SFX.

Fuckin' THIS.

9. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    What about Skyquake's minigun? I've often thought the weapons were pretty dull as well. I personally think shootouts would be more interesting if there were different weapons, instead of standard-issue pew-pew rifles.

10. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    All that matters to me is how the weapon looks. Don't care too much about sound.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It may be for a great many characters in the G1 show, however some of the central characters have distinctive sounds. Prime's rifle, Megatron's cannon, the Seekers arm cannons, and Galvatron's cannon come to mind.

I would also like some more distinctiveness to each robot's weapon sounds. It's not like the cast is huge to begin with.

12. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for me Bulkhead's range armament is most jarring, his seems to be the largest caliber but it doesn't seem to have any more power than BB's or Arcee's guns IMHO

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Again, dude, that means nothing. G1 was a crappy 80's show. I like to think television standards have improved since then.

Not really. Now they're all just integrated guns. Considering BW and Animated both gave characters unique sounds this is pretty sad.

Really? Merely altering the sounds and designs would over-complicate the story? We don't need the weapon's life story, just something like in Beast Wars where everyone had a unique gun. They all share the same silver and blue colour scheme, made up of cylinders and squares and other basic geometric shapes. They litteraly seem last-minute.

Ditto. The fact that it doesn't match up to any of their transformations drives me nuts. In fact the sound design in general is REALLY lax. Everyone makes the same footfalls, the same movment noise. Again, Beast Wars and Animated both had unique sounds, like creaks and moans for old Ratchet, heavy machine noises for Megatron, or wind-up toy style effects for little Rattrap.

That's pretty saddening, because sound design can make a good show a great show with just a little thought. Battles all sound identicle, there's no audio forshadowing. Everyone's gun makes the same deploying sounds so there's no hope of ever having an epic draw.

14. megapork

megapork Cheese

I found the SFX of the cannons to similar specifically megatron's. Megatron should always be set apart frm the group cause he's got one big cannon

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Indeed. Why even have such a cool-looking gun if it is virtually indistinguishable from every other gun in the world?

16. megapork

megapork Cheese

WIN. Megatron deserves better. OCCUPY THE TRANFORMERS PRIME SOUND EDITING STUDIO.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should take some guns from WFC and add them to the show.

But only that. That's the only thing worth to take from it.

18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Fixed.

19. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I totally agree .They are so dull, so boring. Weapons themselves could look more unique too.

20. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    The sound design as a whole could use some work, but its not a major thing. However, I think it would be rather unique if each weapon had a different function. For example: Arcee's guns work like an SMG, Starscream have a null ray sniper, Bulkhead shoot out a shotgun-like spray, ect. Stuff like that'd work well.