Finished Watching Zone

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    ... :puke: 

Sorry. Anyway, in my quest to watch all the TF Media, I watched the lone episode of Transformers Zone that was created. My mistake.

Anyway, to rank all the media I've seen.

• Animated
    • Beast Wars
    • Beast Wars Neo*
    • Victory
    • Cybertron
    • Superlink (Superlink, not Energon)
    • Car Robots (Car Robots, not RiD)
    • G1
    • Masterforce
    • Headmasters
    • Beast Wars II*
    • Beast Machines
    • Zone
    • Armada

*I've seen the majority of BWNeo but I'm missing a few episodes, I've seen less then half of BWII; but I have seen the movie.

Fitting for a single episode or OVA, this won't be a long review. It was terrible. On pretty much every level.

The plot is virtually non-existent to the point where I'm pretty sure Violen Jiger is a "Zombie Goast" to cement this as the Full-Life Consequences of Transformers. The plot, such as there is one, is that there are 9 Decepticon generals under the command of "Zombie Goast" Violen Jiger who does nothing. The Decepticons attack a planet and blow it up. Then they attack Earth, try to get a Plot MacGuffin, and lose to Dai Atlas and Sonic Bomber. Only far worse as it spent zero time developing anything, including the Powered Masters. I have no idea who they are or what they are about. I'm fairly certain Dai Atlas was supposed to be the central character though. Maybe?

The animation quality was Potato and if the art was better, it would've been Pants. Of the 9 Decepticon Generals, I recognized Menasor, Devastator, King Poseidon, and I have no idea what happened to poor Predakings head; it's like they didn't have a toy or picture on hand so they made something up. I correctly guessed Trypticon (before they said his name) and they told me Black Zaraks. However I had to visit the TF Wiki to determine Overlord, Abominus, and Bruticus. I can see that the one guy was Overlord, sort of. I'm still not sure I could tell you who Abominus and Bruticus were.

Pros:

It was short. I thought it may have been an hour or so special, but it was just a regular episode length. So, I'm glad for that.

I did have a small laugh that while Trypticon was wrecking the Great Wall of China, Devastator was toppling the World Trade Center, and so forth, Predaking was going to step on a lone small boy in a glade who was trying to catch butterflies. Aim high Predaking!

Cons:

Everything else. Seriously. I'd rather watch BOT then this.

Well, that's all that comes to mind now. Thank you very much for reading. If you haven't, you can check out my thoughts after I Finished watching what is IMHO, the best of the Japanese G1 Series, Victory, finished Masterforce, and after I finished watching Cybertron.

I need a vacation. (T2 reference)

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Zone had dai atlas. your argument is invalid

seriously, i can't take your list seriously if you have superlink so high up there.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas is invalid because he is featured in Zone.

I've warned people and I've warned people. Zone is dire.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

AGREED.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Zone is bad, yeah.

It contributed one good character, and ruined several others (G1 decepticon combiners)

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't even like Dai Atlas, other than the cool name. In terms of looks and character, he's a zero, imo.

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why isn't prime in your list?

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm guessing because it's not over yet?

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    living up to the standards we've come to expect from Predaking (teh best and toughest and coolest G1 combinard)

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas is cool, don't care about anything else.

Also i'm amazed that both of the kids in this were guys......yeah....:confused2 

10. Optimus1984

Optimus1984 Well-Known Member

Dai atlas is awesome and so is his name. Although he was in a bad ova his character was awesome to say the least.

Plus does anybody else think that his name sounds like some sort of welsh geography teacher lol!?

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Guess I won't bother watching Zone, then.

12. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i like squirell rabbit in tf zone

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually thought Zone was ok, if you accept that it's a Japanime.

It's not anywhere near as bad as Headmasters, I think that would be plain to anyone who witnessed the death of Galvatron.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Only if you have 20 minutes to kill.

15. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    You didn't warn me! I even stated in my Transformers Victory thread that I was watching Zone next and hoped it was good!

Speaking of which, I find it funny that Victory, a series I enjoyed gets no responses and 50 views. Zone here gets 14 responses and 160 views.

That would be why.

I suppose I could rate it since it's had more episodes then BM, but it's still not fair until it's over. Rating it as is, based on the 27 aired episodes I'd put it below G1 and above Masterforce.

Oh yeah, Predaking does nothing but suck and die. All the others get at least one destruction scene somewhere, but not funny faced Predaking.

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    What is Zone? im intrigued, no matter how bad lol

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I completely forgot Zone existed until now.

18. boonimusprime

boonimusprime Member

The best part of Zone: Micromasters! The worst part of Zone: infantile Micromasters! Sigh.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too. He was funny. And also seemed to be the only one upset that his planet just got blown up. Everyone else was like- meh, whatever.

I've only ever watched Zone once, and those are 20 precious minutes of my life that I'll never get back. To say that it's dire is honoring it. I don't know if there's a word in the english language that can properly convey how truly awful it is.

20. Pravus Prime

News Credits:
    Zone is sort of the Rebirth of the Japanese G1 series.

In order, you'd view G1 Season 1, G1 Season 2, G1 Season 3, Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, then Zone. Each season/series built upon the series that came before.

So, for example, Headmasters starts out after The Return of Optimus Prime from G1 Season 3, and continues the story in its own series.

While Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory were full series, Zone was only a single episode that never got anything more (thankfully). It may have been for this reason that the plot was highly condensed, or because of whatever reasons, Zone ends up being a disjointed mess of an episode that tries to do way too much and succeeds at nothing.

It was supposed to introduce a new Decepticon superbad, establish 9 returning villains, connect to the prior series, advertise the many micromaster teams/playsets, introduce the child-proxy character, introduce the big shiny new Autobots (who would have toys on the shelf!), introduce the series plot MacGuffin, make you want to buy the new Autobot toys, and give a resolution to the first episode all in under 24 minutes.

It didn't. Instead it made you guess as to what was going on, who these people are and why you're watching this crap. So the Japanese G1 series ended on a sour note.