Finished "Combaticus Maximus" Multiplayer idea for FOC

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Prime Jetscream, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Credit to Kaymac and The Constructicon for inspiration and part of the idea.

Player ratio
    Autobots: 25 Max
    Decepticons: 5 min. AND max.

Player Restrictions and details
    Autobots: Everyone playing an Autobot will be a randomly selected Autobot enemy. To be specific, whatever Autobot enemies there are in campaign is what any player can play as. There will be no wait to respawn, all will respawn immediately.
    Decepticons: The game cannot start without five players on the Decepticons side. Each one will play as a Combaticon. The higher leveled players will play the higher ranked Combaticons. For example, A level 25 Prime player would be Onslaught, while a Level 24 Prime player would be Blast Off or Vortex.

Now, on to the description.
    Five players will play as the Combaticons, as you already know. A minimum of 10 players, maximum of 25, will play as randomly selected Autobot enemies. For 30 minutes, the Combaticons will desperately fight for their lives, gaining points for destroying Autobots, like Escalation, except for one crucial detail: These points count as XP. And you still do have to open doors, buy overshields, health, etc.
    You must sacrifice XP to not get surrounded as more players join the game.
    As for the fact that real players are WAY smarter than any AI that could be completed by late '12, Autobots will be incapable of buying health.
    To make it worth being an Autobot, first I must mention that, since Autobot players are playing as generics, they will have no overshield.
    Combaticons will. But, it will be significantly weaker than in Campaign, and since playable characters must ALWAYS be a lot more durable than generics, Autobots would get points for destroying the Overshield of the Combaticons.
    Plus the Overshield would not regenerate. That's why they'd have to buy overshields.
    But Autobots are not free of the Combaticon's problems, they, too must sacrifice XP to pay for ammo.

All this Overshield talk is, of course, based on UndeadMonkeyGuy's theory that Health does not regenerate, and Overshields do.

Before going into description of Round 2, I must mention that it will not be used if all the players don't rack up a minimum of 5,000 XP.

On to the main event.
    After the thirty minutes are up, a cutscene would engage, where Onslaught asks the rest of the Combaticons what their energy was. They would speak their current energy/XP amount (it is, of course, above 5,000, or this cutscene would not activate) and then Onslaught would proclaim "We have enough energy for the combination!"
    Then they would proceed to form Bruticus, where the following controls would be arranged:
    The player who controls Onslaught would control small machine guns on the chest of Bruticus, and would control movement. Whoever plays Vortex would control medium damage gatling guns, and the helicopter shield. Whoever played Blast Off would control the "flame thrower" (Which, in my opinion, is an energy beam...), whoever played Brawl would control a Tank Cannon, a replica of the Soldier's vehicle weapon from WFC. Whoever played Swindle would control rockets fired from those "exhaust" tubes, which apparently are now the style for FOC (Optimus' shoulders, legs, Jazz's back [which was in WFC, but whatever...] etc...).
    So, all players would have something important to do while in combined form while still retaining the control of their assigned character, without conflict of control.
    Each Combaticon would gain control of a tractor beam to suck the health, ammo and overshields out of their dispensers (of course, still paying their XP for it), seeing as when you're a leg you can't go walking up to the soda machine and poking the quarter in there.

All this is hypothetical of course, I say this because I used "will" instead of "would" a lot.

And again, I would like to thank Kaymac and The Constructicon for inspiring part of this idea.

And I'm sure they could do this, all they need is a little bit different HUDs and HUD "personality" if you will, and wide open maps and one new cutscene and program the ability to play Autobot generics and to program new Combaticon gameplay, which would probably not be that hard seeing that they already have Brawl and Onslaught gameplay animations, and they, of course, already have Blast Off and Swindle character models.

All they really need is for us to petition them into doing this. They already should have all the character models.

So, what does anyone think? Does anyone have any improvement ideas or opinions?

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    30-minutes of fighting a horde of Autobots?! And they aren't AI characters, but actual gamers?! And the Autobots can actually have more than 5 characters on the field at one time?!

I don't care how cool the Combaticons are or how good you think you are as a gamer, if you're playing as the Combaticons, you're going to get owned, again and again and again.

The Combaticons would need some serious bonuses to survive human attackers who out number them in greater numbers--WFC broken MP has shown us this with its uneven teams.

The Combaticons fighting on their own turf, receiving aide in the form of artillery fire, air strikes or random assists would help--perhaps in the form of kill bonuses. Whatever the bonus, some sort of tide turner would be necessary on the side of the Combaticons going up against human combatants.

Your set up for Bruticus' controls are interesting, but I can't see myself enjoying myself much with that set up. I think this is why HMS won't (this hasn't been confirmed) add such a form of play.

Having some sort of puzzle or a series of button inputs that all members must complete at the same time or within a time limit to unleash attack after attack sounds like a lot more fun for all persons involved. Perfect inputs could result in stronger attacks while semi-perfect attacks result into regular attacks, with stunted firepower. Inputs with lower than 50% accuracy should result in some sort of punishment for Bruticus, as he shouldn't be all powerful.

Allowing only Prime ranked characters to control Bruticus via Onslaught just sounds wrong to me, and I think that would turn away a lot of folks. What I've proposed may not be the best solution, but it is I think the most fair, as everyone will control Bruticus at once. As Bruticus will obviously be attacking Autobots, why not just have Bruticus attack whatever Autobot is in the area, freeing the player(s) from having to target him?

To keep the game interesting, it would be necessary to give Bruticus ranged attacks to prevent the opposition from attacking from afar. Nothing overpowering, but powerful enough to make them come out from their cozy sniper positions.

I love the idea of a cutscene taking place a key moments of the game, I felt that WFC had too few. The more the better:D 

3. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    Think of it like sentient Escalation. The game would start out immediately start abruptly as soon as the Autobots have 10 players, and after the game starts, one player can join every 2 minutes.
    Also, all Autobot players would start out with only access to weak AI enemies. Every 7 minutes, the Autobot players would start automatically gaining access to ONE new AI to control.
    Also, each Autobot would have a very small health bar, depending on what enemy they are playing as (i.e. scouts would have a tiny bar [One bar in WFC], Titans would have bars bigger than the Combaticons).
    Plus, of course, you could open doors, buy overshields and health, ammo, all that. And every Autobot would only have access to the weapon they spawned with.

Anything else to make it surviveable?

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are these forced character switches/upgrades?

Do you think many folks would want to play as the Autobots? How would you keep people from exiting this mode should they not be a member of the Combaticons?

I don't know about you, but when I have to battle characters stronger than me, I run for the hills and attack from covered places until I've nudged myself into better odds. How would you keep players from hiding, but coming out to actually battle? I guess having larger numbers on your side helps, as does instant respawning, but do people like changing into random characters? I myself, however, like to play as characters I've sellected/customized; I have never used the random character selection in games that offer them (like fighters), as I want to be the character I like--sadly, I don't like everyone:( 

I still don't see how you could keep folks chosen to be Autobots engaged. Would they receive more EXP to keep them on the battlefield?

5. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    Or they could just replace the Autobots with AI. :/

6. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    ...No one cares?

7. Prime Jetscream

News Credits:
    :( 

8. MetruMaximus

MetruMaximus Well-Known Member

I like this idea. But I think you should also be able to do this with Devastator (The Constructicons), Superion (The Arielbots), and Defensor (The Protectobots). Just to add some variety to this game type.

9. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

Interesting, but this could work just as well as just 5 person escalation mode. This just doesn't seem to be good as a 2 sided multiplayer.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Thanks for the credit!

I do like this idea. However, the player characters on the Autobot side should be their own characters they created, with some AI assisting them to make it a challenge for Bruticus. Kind of like versus Firefight on Halo Reach.